• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula's or fissures

fistula's or fissures

hello everyone. I've read lots of threads on this issue, but wanted to ask a question. I know some are hard to find, and for those ones does some liquid have to come out somewhere, like the rectum or vagina or elsewhere, and does the liquid have to smell bad.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
As far as I'm aware it depends on the location and how bad the fistula is in order for there to be fluid or for it to be foul smelling. If the fistula connects inside of the vagina for example, then if there is fluid then it would come out of the vagina, same goes for the anus or the skin, it just depends on if the fistula has created an opening and the fluid will leak out of the opening.

Here are the different types of fistulas:

Enterocutaneous: This type of fistula is from the intestine to the skin. An enterocutaneous fistula may be a complication of surgery. It can be described as a passageway that progresses from the intestine to the surgery site and then to the skin.
Enteroenteric or Enterocolic: This is a fistula that involves the large or small intestine.
Enterovaginal: This is a fistula that goes to the vagina.
Enterovesicular: This type of fistula goes to the bladder. These fistulas may result in frequent urinary tract infections, or the passage of gas from the urethra during urination. http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/relatedconditions/a/fistula.htm

Here's a good link on the difference between fistulas and fissures: http://www.medicinenet.com/inflammatory_bowel_disease_intestinal_problems/page6.htm

Hope that helps! :)

thanks for reply. Could one form on bum cheek, i feel a bit sore there but felt around and i think i feel something but can't tell for sure. I did a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago, couldn't theyhave seenit there.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'd assume that they would but scopes aren't 100% at finding all problems due to human error. I believe they can form on the cheek itself but I believe it would be near the anus and I believe you'd also have other symptoms as well.

"Symptoms related to the fistula include irritation of skin around the anus, drainage of pus (which often relieves the pain), fever, and feeling poorly in general." http://www.fascrs.org/patients/conditions/anal_abscess_fistula/

Hi Matty
Yes, you could have a fistula that leads to your bum cheek. Do you have a lump where you feel something. I have a fistula and it opening is on my bum cheek and they do not know where it is attached to. I had an MRI a few days ago and will find out the results in a couple weeks. It started with a large, painful lump on my bum cheek, which my doctor said was a collection of inflammation from my last flare up. He put me on antibiotics, but when they were done the lump opened up and discharged pus, blood and now it discharges stool. It also left a little hole in my skin. This is my first fistula, so I really did not know what it was at first. If you find the area gets painful, make sure you tell your doctor, because you may need antibiotics to avoid an infection. I hope this helps a little and good luck with everything.

i've checked and i feel something on that side but can't really tell. Its not red or swollen. But my bum is burning on outside and some on inside. Also on same side of bum, my vagina is red and slightly swollen and burns. I just finished 3 day canastan and its still there. Are these 2 connected maybe.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Its possible. What have your doctors said about it (should talk to GI,GP and GYN about it)?

There is a chance that the two could be related. My vaginal area was a lot more sensitive and sore when the lump was painful, but it usually only lasted a day or two. If I soaked in a tub, it would feel better. I never really thought it was related, because I always had to wear a pantiliner or pad, because I had anal leakage everyday, until the hole in my bum cheek opened up, and I thought it was the pantiliners that bothered me. Now I wonder if it was something else. Go to the doctor and ask. It couldn't hurt!

thanks for replies. I'll tell you my dr. is no good, he never checks unless you tell him. I saw him monday and showed him and he said do a urine test, and then i asked what about a vaginal swaband he said it will tell on the urine test which i think that you can't tell from that. So i insisted he do a swab. Today i phoned nurse and she said they are all okay. I'm still like this today. Its very hard here to see a gyno and i've never seen a gi, but i'm sure it would take long as with gyno, from 1 to 2 months and sometimes longer. I have to changemy dr. but its hard, i;ve seen him 20 yrs and its hard to make big changes. There are other reasons i see also, its easy to getappt and you don't have to wait long and the drive is only 25 min. All bad reasons to keep a dr. Now totry find a good dr. I see another one when my dr. goes on holidays. He's 50 min ride and he's not bad, but i;ve really only seen for respiratory problems. This is very hard for me to change, i'm a person that always follows the same things, and don't like change. I tried for an appt today but he is booked so made one for monday. I don't know if i should just go in for emergency to see lhim or wait till mon/ The pain has not gotten worse, but weekend is here andthat seems when things happen. I'm just scared if it is something that will turn to something worse.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Anything having to do with the ER is your call. Usually what we say here on the forum is, "when in doubt or even entertaining the ER, you should probably go." We all know our bodies best and if you feel that this can't wait then trust your gut and go. Even when you see the doc on Monday who knows if they will do anything for you or not? The ER may be able to help by running tests and at least help a little with the pain if you think you need it.

As for a GYN, around where I am, those are MUCH easier to get appointments with than a GI.

Everyone here gives the best advise but unfortunately my dr. never check, he just writes a prescription for what he thinks on what you told him. I have an appt with him tomorrow and going to insist he check me. I'm still having same symptoms but they have not gotten any more painful, but if they do become more painful, i will definelty go in er. Last week i checked in vagina and felt a long lump towards the rectum wall and after a bm yesterday i checked and its still there. Last week the dr. on call checked it and said he doesn't know if thats normal for me. Could that be a cyst or abscess. I still have the slightly swollen burning vagina on right side and thats the side my bumis burning a bit more. i checked all over many times and can't find anything. I used hemmi creams and it doesn't help. My stomach has not been bad and having normal bm so far. Last night i used the steriod enemas becasue of the burning bum, today i had a nice bm. Could the burning from the rectum transfer to vagina. Also tomorrow with dr., which places should he check on me. I am definely going to change after my biopsy results come in, but they are taking 6to 8 weeks for some reason. Last time it was only 2 weeks. But the lady i talked said if they do find anything bad they will let me know earlier. I have a follow up with surgeon onjune 16 for biopsy results, i did test on april 28th.

Make sure to tell your doctor about the lump and get him to feel it. That is all my doctor did until it started discharging and then he visually took a look at it. There could be a chance that you have a fistula that leads to your vagina and that could be the issue with the burning or it could be something unrelated, but don't let it go. It is not normal and if the canestan did not help, something else needs to!

Okay this is strange. I checked myself vaginally again and the lump towards the rectum is gone, but now i feel towardsthe top which i never felt before. I was thinking i've had 2 days now of really good bm's and maybe that was stool. But what throws that off is wheni got checked before,i think about 8 days ago the dr felt it but didn't know if that was normal for me. I was not eating much then becasue i was having d once a day, so how couldthat of been stool. the canastan didn't help. I'm still having same symptoms i posted here, but not getting worse. But seeing dr. today and will insist he checks. Thanks for advice.
t

well saw dr. yesterday and he checked in vagina and said the hardness towards top is pubic bone. I told him i was using the enemas and he said don't use too much, your not in flare becasue no d. When i got home my stomach started to hurt and i went again, but it was formed. I was going to ask him for some pills for colitis yesterday, but i was feelingso good for 2 days, but of course when i got home, that stomachache. Oh yes he also said the swollen redness on one side of vagina is that i probably wash too much, i do once a day and only water now, so he's wrong. As for the burning bum, he said its irritated anduse steriod cream which i've used but doesn't work. I've told him these things before and he mentions it again. I could scream. I need to find a good dr, and not sure if i ever will. Right now i'm sick of dr.'s, In the last 2 weeks i've seen 2 dr on call and twice my family dr. I'm stlll in same spot.