• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fitness & Exercise Support Group

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Mary, I have a similar issue but on the other end - due to my severe GERD, I sometimes end up belching a lot when I work out. I try not to be obvious about it, but sometimes a lot of gas wants to come out of my stomach and sometimes it can get kind of gross. Oh well, not much I can do about it and I'm certainly not going to stop exercising, so the people around me just have to deal with it when it happens. :p

10 degrees here today and the roads are starting to dry up. Ran this morning, so went for a short ride on my road bike after work, hubby came too. I whooped his butt.

My legs are still aching from my workout with the resistance bands on Sunday! They do feel better but I'm going to have to put my gym day off until tomorrow again! At least now I have a better idea of how much I am using the muscles and can tone it down a little bit next time!!

I've been researching bone-strengthening exercises and it seems the good weight-bearing cardio workouts are walking, hiking, dancing and climbing. Lifting weights is very good. Swimming and cycling have little impact on bone strength, and situps or crunches are a straight-up no no for weak backs. Does this seem right? I'm keen to go and do some light exercise tomorrow, maybe the stair climbing machine at the gym.

Glad to have this support group to motivate me!
Tennis is one of the best sports for bone-strengthening, if that's a sport you like.

Okay, back on subject. Anybody have fun workout plans for the weekend? I was going to walk my dog (she loves snow) but now that it's going to rain instead, that's out the window. I'm hoping to lift weights tomorrow and do either cardio or yoga on Sunday.
I'm doing the Georgia Half Marathon on Sunday! Woo!

...Brisk walk for 4 minutes, jog/run for 1 minute and repeat. On the last set walk for 3 minutes and run for 2 minutes...
Lizzy, that's totally the way to go! It's a great way to ramp up your running without getting injured. After consecutive injuries (posterior tibial tendonitis, followed by ileo-tibial band syndrome), I switched back from all running to running with periodic walk breaks (I take a brief walk break every half mile). I have been injury-free ever since! Plus, I am FASTER now with walk breaks than I ever was without. Last summer, at age 35, I beat my previous 10K PR (by 1 second!) that I had set at age 30.

Needless to say, I am a HUGE advocate of run/walk!

Ok everyone...I have started working out in group classes BUT I ALWAYS have GAS!! especially when Im moving around so much..its so embarassing. Just thought I would share :)
I regularly take a mat pilates class at the gym, and almost every class there is someone who farts at some point. I'm surprised it hasn't been me yet! :)

(the trick is to let just a little bit out here and there so it doesn't build up!)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Feel better, LMV! *hugs*

Good luck on Sunday, prettykitty! :)

Keep on rocking, Alli and Hawkeye! :D

As for me, I'm doing great too - haven't had a rest day in awhile, have been either doing weights or cardio every day. It feels great! My reflux has been nailing me today and the hip is a bit achey, but I'm not going to let that stuff slow me down. I'm hitting the exercise bike tonight, I have a new DVD that I'm excited to watch while I ride so I can't wait! :)

Exercise update:

My exercise for past week has consisted of shoveling mountains of snow, along with repairing and repainting the interior of our 3 bedroom rental house with cathedral ceilings (to make painting even more fun!), and then washed the windows, cleaned the blinds, shampooed all the carpets, and scrubbed it clean. I then showed it at least 20 times, and got it rented out this weekend. Woohoo.

I'm now in excruciating pain. I can't feel my fingers and can hardly walk, much less run, bike, aerobicize, or go to any gyms.

Maybe next week.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ya noy, feel better soon! We fortunately got more rain than snow with that last storm that rolled through over the weekend. I have had more than my fair share of shoveling this winter so I hear you there, it's been crazy at times!

I'm feeling really good lately. Maybe it's just because the sun is shining, or maybe because I've been working out every day, but at any rate I feel great, healthy and strong. It's so easy to forget I'm sick when I have times like this! That gets dangerous though, when I start feeling too good, sometimes I get cocky and think I can eat anything. "I feel great! Maybe I'll have a big salad! I probably won't die 2 hours later!" Cut to 2 hours later and I'm wishing for death. :p Or at least not having a good time at all. So I'm trying hard to stick to my usual safe diet and not eat anything that will mess me up.

Now at day 19 of my run streak but it took everything I had to get up the motivation to run today. I stayed up late last night to work on a post grad paper and then was up early. I'm exhausted! Also my tummy is hurting again today, I'm hoping the pain won't stick around and it's just because I stressed my body or an effect of tapering down off Entocort.

How far are you able to run on a bad day like this, Alli? I hope you feel better soon!
I only ran 4km, Squadron PT was spin class this morning, so just enough running to flush out my legs. However, My total distance for this week can only equal 45km, so I have to balance my runs. Tummy pain for the whole run, glad it was short.

Exercise update:

My exercise for past week has consisted of shoveling mountains of snow, along with repairing and repainting the interior of our 3 bedroom rental house with cathedral ceilings (to make painting even more fun!), and then washed the windows, cleaned the blinds, shampooed all the carpets, and scrubbed it clean. I then showed it at least 20 times, and got it rented out this weekend. Woohoo.

I'm now in excruciating pain. I can't feel my fingers and can hardly walk, much less run, bike, aerobicize, or go to any gyms.

Maybe next week.
Shovelling and painting, def a workout. We painted our entire house when we first moved in three years ago. The previous owner hadn't painted anything in the three years he owned the house and everything needed to be painted (we live next to the military base, so our neighbour hood is mostly military = continuous turnover of housing market), it was quite the chore to get everything painted before the moving truck showed up from New Brunswick.

Ya noy, feel better soon! We fortunately got more rain than snow with that last storm that rolled through over the weekend. I have had more than my fair share of shoveling this winter so I hear you there, it's been crazy at times!

I'm feeling really good lately. Maybe it's just because the sun is shining, or maybe because I've been working out every day, but at any rate I feel great, healthy and strong. It's so easy to forget I'm sick when I have times like this! That gets dangerous though, when I start feeling too good, sometimes I get cocky and think I can eat anything. "I feel great! Maybe I'll have a big salad! I probably won't die 2 hours later!" Cut to 2 hours later and I'm wishing for death. :p Or at least not having a good time at all. So I'm trying hard to stick to my usual safe diet and not eat anything that will mess me up.
I miss salad! Over Christmas hubby and I went to Ottawa for a few days and one of the meals I had came with salad, I kind of just forgot that I shouldn't eat it, it was on my plate, force of habit or something, oh boy did I suffer for that.

I have been decorating my bedroom as a surprise while my husband is on holiday - so glad I have been exercising recently as I think my arms would have dropped off while painting the ceiling otherwise ! :ylol2:

Trying to get at least a half hour walk in daily as I can't get to the gym every day, took the dogs out for an hour this afternoon.

I saw the endocrinologist on Wednesday, she gave me some good advice and as long as I don't lift really heavy weights above my head (straining the back) I should be fine - yay and every time I pound the pavement now I think "Strength! Strength!"

You're doing great hawkeye!
I'm building up my running as well, but a lot slower than you! I don't really like it very much!
Its not so much that I'm feeling too out of breath but my leg muscles tighten up so I'm finding it quite hard.

hawkeye

Staff member
Try stretches after each run. I'll do about 4 different types of leg stretches after each run. I used to do calf stretches as well

Today I was really unmotivated, I didn't want torun, I had a 2 hour nap this afternoon, felt worn down. But then I kicked myself out the door and ran 12km and I felt awesome. Just one of those days. :-/

I haven't been as motived to workout myself of late, overall. I'm always glad when I do, enjoy the exercise, like the benefits of looking healthier, but for some reason working out hasn't had its typical appeal of late. I think I figured out why this evening. I haven't weighed myself in awhile, and found I've dropped around 10lbs. Sweet! The gut has been well of late, so it's positive. Figure since being healthier, I've been using new energy to work out more frequently than in the past, and now am a bit stressed. Just a guess.

hawkeye

Staff member
Today I was really unmotivated, I didn't want torun, I had a 2 hour nap this afternoon, felt worn down. But then I kicked myself out the door and ran 12km and I felt awesome. Just one of those days. :-/
Had a nap this afternoon also....a lot of late nights this week

Great work LMV! I had a nice celebratory lunch with my parents today (my Dad's retirement - thank goodness I can still eat grilled seafood, Crohn's won't take that from me!); while my family all curled up to sleep after lunch I took the doggies out for a nice, brisk walk for an hour. It really relaxed me and I feel good for getting active on a Sunday - back to the gym tomorrow!

hawkeye

Staff member
Did the run 3 minutes, walk a minute this morning outside - sunny and -6C (-10C) windchill. The second set was hard - must have been the hills. Going to get a couple of more 3 and 1 sessions in and them up it to 4 and 1.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
You guys are all doing so great! I'm so proud of everyone! :D

Kind of a weird question, but has anyone had what seems to be an allergic reaction right after hitting the gym? Not me, but my hubby has had this happen twice now. We joined a local gym in October '12, and shortly after joining, one day hubby came out of the changing room sneezing like crazy. His sinuses were screwed up for several days, and he eventually flushed whatever it was out with a neti pot. He said it felt like "something" was in his sinuses, like something physically got in there. But nothing that we could physically see came out when he used the neti pot so we don't know what it was. After he flushed his sinuses, he was fine for months. But, this just happened again yesterday - hubby was fine during our workout, but when he came out of the men's changing room, it was sneeze city again. He tried doing the neti pot last night but it didn't help this time. He's going to try it again today. Anyway, has anybody else had a weird allergic (?) reaction to something in a gym changing room? I'm wondering if they use some weird cleaning chemical that he's reacting badly to, but it's just weird that it happened twice months apart and he was fine the majority of the times we've been to the gym. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

Edited to add: He's fine when he is in the changing room to change into his gym clothes, both times it's happened as he's changing back into his street clothes after we worked out. I don't know what it's like in the men's changing room, but in the women's, they often put fresh-cut flowers in there - I don't think hubby has a flower allergy though, because he worked in a flower shop for years and was fine then. Cleaning chemicals are the only thing I can think of, but it's not like they wait months between cleaning the changing rooms, so it's just really weird.

Cat. I know that exercise can bring on anaphylactic food reactions. I found it out when I was doing research for my dissertation last year.
But I'm not sure if it would be the same for the sneezing type reaction!
Very strange!!

Cat - I'd imagine it could be a number of items that could be bothering your husband at the gym, once cleaning up after exercising. My guess is it might be a towel he uses to wipe down with. I know of someone that as an allergy from a type of detergent used for cleaning cloths (forget which one it is this morning) that causes him to sneeze frequently, watery eyes, etc.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
LMV - I don't think it's anaphylaxis! It doesn't affect his breathing, just his sinuses. He gets congested & sniffly & sneezy. I agree that it is very strange!

Alli, no chalk that I know of at my gym so it's not that. I think chalk would make me sneezy too and I never get sneezy at the gym. Sometimes my nose drips (sometimes a lot) when I'm working out, but from what I've read that's fairly normal and just a reaction to exercise itself, not a reaction to any pollutant or allergen. My nose dripping and hubby's sinus episodes are completely different though, his is way worse, he is miserable for hours/days whereas I just need a kleenex and I'm good.

Beach, our gym doesn't provide cloth towels (only paper towels to wipe down the machines) so it's not that either. I'm not sure if he brings a towel in his bag to wipe himself down with afterwards, but if so it's something from home, and he's never had an issue with the detergent I use.

Hmmmm. This is quite the mystery. Hubby works tomorrow evening so I think I'm going to sneak a look in his gym bag then and see if I can find anything in there that might be the culprit. Although I still don't understand how something could affect him so strongly months apart with him being fine for a long period in between.

OK...Im mad at myself :ymad:. I was excersizing regularly and I stopped PLUS I cant seem to loose weight. I just feel blah...I start a program then I get sick with a cold or something or whatever happens. I remember when I was really sick with a flare and I weighed 100 pounds. I know that was not good but ever since my hysterectomy 2 years ago I keep gaining!!! I hate flares..but sometimes think if I could just have a "lil" flare so I could loose 25 pounds...hhmmmm. :ywow:

You guys are all doing so great! I'm so proud of everyone! :D

Kind of a weird question, but has anyone had what seems to be an allergic reaction right after hitting the gym? Not me, but my hubby has had this happen twice now. We joined a local gym in October '12, and shortly after joining, one day hubby came out of the changing room sneezing like crazy. His sinuses were screwed up for several days, and he eventually flushed whatever it was out with a neti pot. He said it felt like "something" was in his sinuses, like something physically got in there. But nothing that we could physically see came out when he used the neti pot so we don't know what it was. After he flushed his sinuses, he was fine for months. But, this just happened again yesterday - hubby was fine during our workout, but when he came out of the men's changing room, it was sneeze city again. He tried doing the neti pot last night but it didn't help this time. He's going to try it again today. Anyway, has anybody else had a weird allergic (?) reaction to something in a gym changing room? I'm wondering if they use some weird cleaning chemical that he's reacting badly to, but it's just weird that it happened twice months apart and he was fine the majority of the times we've been to the gym. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

Edited to add: He's fine when he is in the changing room to change into his gym clothes, both times it's happened as he's changing back into his street clothes after we worked out. I don't know what it's like in the men's changing room, but in the women's, they often put fresh-cut flowers in there - I don't think hubby has a flower allergy though, because he worked in a flower shop for years and was fine then. Cleaning chemicals are the only thing I can think of, but it's not like they wait months between cleaning the changing rooms, so it's just really weird.
Cat- This is a bit unrelated but my daughter is allergic to cats. Her eyes swell and cant breathe well, sneezing, and itchy. But everytime she goes into her elective course at school in the classroom(which is once a week) she has an allergic reaction. There are no cats in there!! So I wonder the same like you do what the heck is it!!

Cat, Perhaps it's a mold issue somewhere in the gym or a dust issue and by the time he finishes in the changing room, his sinus's are really giving him a fit. Have him pay closer attention to how he feels when he first sets foot into the gym and then as time goes on in the gym. He may begin to notice that he is having some other symptoms before the sneezing starts. Many places use Frebreeze (sp?) or other scent sprays. Check with management to find out when the changing room is cleaned. Could be while hubby is in the gym. Hope you sort this out soon.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Thanks everybody. Still haven't figured out what happened with hubby - he did the neti pot multiple times but wasn't able to flush out whatever it was. He gradually got better over the past few days and is mostly back to normal now. We're planning to go back to the gym tomorrow so hopefully this weird allergy thing doesn't happen again!

How's everybody doing with their fitness goals? Alli, still going strong on the streak? Hawkeye, how's the run-walk thing going for you? How's everyone else doing? I had a bit of a rough day on Monday but pushed myself to do 45 mins on the bike anyway (I usually do an hour on the bike so I didn't do all that I usually am capable of). I'm doing the bike again tonight and I hope to do much better this time and stick it out for the full hour.

Day 26! I ran 10km today, my legs felt amazing, stomach, not so much. Was late getting out (I have three days off this week, had to burn off the rest of my leave days for the FY), spent most of the morning in the bathroom, this always happens to me when I take a day off work.

Speaking of bikes... I ordered another one yesterday, it should be here next week. It's a single speed, for commuting! I figure it's going to pay for itself in gas in about two months. No more fretting over the 1.30/Litre at the pump.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I wish I could commute on my bike. Maybe someday. It's about 12 miles each way to work, so that'd be 24 miles round trip daily, and I just don't think I'm quite ready for that much distance daily yet. I can do 12 miles on the stationary bike and then I'm wiped out and totally gross and sweaty, so I'd have to shower when I get to work and would probably be too tired to ride home. So it's not happening just yet, but hopefully someday.

My office is 2km from my house, I could walk, except my boss is in another bldg another 2km from that, and the kitchens that I manage are not close to my office either so I am always driving short distances around base. It burns a ton of gas when realistically, it would only take me a minute longer to ride around base. Plus it would be like a mini escape each time. I wear combats to work, so no need to worry about dirtying my good clothes.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh, that does sound ideal for biking! The idea of a "mini-escape" from work sounds really nice too. I hope you get some nice weather for biking - they're talking about another 6 inches of snow for us this weekend. Ugh! Happy first day of spring, indeed. :p

They have said snow for us on friday too! Its strange because the blossoms and flowers have started to come out but it just does not feel like spring!

I had a good day on the bike yesterday at the gym as well. I still only did my usual 10mins which I use as like my warm up, but I finally got to try the "cross country" setting. The last few times I have tried to set it up but when you think you are about to start it just crashes and goes back to "welcome to woodlands gym" So I have just had to do a flat course. So I got to try cross country and it was all different resistances, so I was expecting not to have done as far as I had before, but I had done 3km which I was quite pleased with :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Been working on my exercise. Mostly a 15-25min elliptical and a round or two of some basic strength/cardio intervals.

Last night I tested the waters and did a mild/moderate 20min. bootcamp video. It felt great!

It makes me truly feel like my flare is going away to be able to do these things but I am also very aware of my limitations. Gradual progression is better than no progression or going all-in and getting sick all over again.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
LMV, that's great! There are some hill programs on my stationary bike too and some are quite challenging so I know that's no easy feat! How weird though that the bike at your gym often crashes and goes back to the main menu or whatever. Have you mentioned that issue to the people that work at the gym? Maybe they can fix it or they know a work-around so that it won't crash.

Chicago, I can relate. The good news is that the better you feel, the less limitations you should have. I'm still a bit limited, but I know now that I can push myself pretty hard and my body won't punish me for it. I definitely couldn't do that before I hit remission. The key is to just listen to your body - if your body says no, then don't push it. When I hit a good, stable remission, my body said go go go, exercise!! I listened to it and my body and I are on pretty good terms for the most part these days, ha ha. I hope your flare does ease and that you can settle into a nice long remission too.

No I didn't mention it to them. It was strange because sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. I was wondering if it was because it was a long programme and I was only doing it for 10mins. But this time when it worked it did each bit for 7 secs.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Only 7 seconds for each step of resistance? That still might not be working correctly then. My exercise bike at home does each step for one minute, and for some odd reason the bike at the little gym I go to does each step for 2 mins and 50 seconds. 7 seconds seems like a really short time to me for each step! And on both you can program in a longer program but stop whenever you want. In fact, my bike at home doesn't have long enough programs - the longest is 30 mins so I have to program in 2 different 30 min programs to do my hour ride. But anyway, I would definitely ask the people at your gym about that bike maybe not working right, it doesn't sound right to me.

I think its because it has the programme set out and then you put the time in so it devides the steps by the time, and it came out at 7 secs. So I could set it for longer and stop. The other programme I did "rolling hills" was shorter so for 10 mins it was 20sec per step. I think I preferred the cross country one though coz it had different bits in it.

I always report problems with equipment the gym, otherwise it never gets fixed. The other day I was on a treadmill where the belt kept slowing down. I almost fell flat on my face!

I am now on streak day 27. Total distance so far is 162km. Feeling so much like a runner again that I took a chance and ordered a new pair of racing flats from my local running store today. First race is end April. Hup Hup.

My mom had to give up her weightlifting (at 76) at her doctor's recommendation due to macular degeneration. Guess who got her Total Gym?

ME!!!

With loads of accessories, and all the cards, and woohoo! Doing my second workout today. I wasn't terribly sore in the muscles after the first one, but my hip joints were more painful than usual and burning for a few days.

I am trying for 3X week right now. Doing the beginning set of 15 exercises, but only doing one set of 15 reps (or as many as I can do) for now. It's humbling to be so weak when 3 years ago I could leg press 400 pounds.

Hubby loves it too, and has been using it on days he doesn't play basketball.

The only downside is that it freaks out my dog, and he's very concerned that the machine is trying to hurt me somehow. Silly old puppers.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Lisakuney, that's great that your mother was able to lift weights until age 76! Very admirable. And good for you too that you now get to use her equipment, have fun! Hopefully your dog gets used to it soon. My dog tries to "help" me work out, ha ha. If I'm riding the exercise bike, I don't let her in the room with me anymore, because once she sat right next to the bike and got bonked in the head with a pedal. So she sits just outside the door and sighs loudly & repeatedly to let me know she's unhappy with not being in the same room as me. And if I'm doing yoga at home, she tries to sit on the yoga mat with me. Super helpful. :p My cat at least has the good sense to stay out of my way (most of the time) when I'm working out.

My dog is freaked out by my bike trainer, she barks at it. I'm not sure if its the bike itself or the noise or both that she doesn't like.

When I try to do yoga, he brings me his "Kong" toy and drops it on me as I lay there...

the XL version for very large dogs lol. Those things weigh a dang ton.

Got back into the exercise groove this morning! It has been awhile since having a nice lifting workout. Since that was the case, I did a full body lifting routine. Typically what I do is concentrate on either upper or lower body routines. Being that I did a full body workout, it was a relatively easier exercise routine than typical, but it was a good start for the time taken off though. I'm pleased.

Well, lets see - i started out with flat dumbbell bench press, alternating arms up and down, doing 3 sets of 12. Beginning weight was 40lbs with each dumbbell, and moved up by 5lbs. On the 4th set I moved the weights back, doing 30lbs, lifting till failure. I think that only took around 10 lifts on each arm.

Then did 3 sets of calf raises with no weights. Did the lifting off the edge of my tread mill, holding onto the side rails for balance. Each set was done till muscle failure.

Then did dead lifts. I lift lighter weights on this, but move slowly through the exercise movement. The first set was at 30lbs per dumbbell, moving through each lift at around 20 seconds, doing 12 of these. I then moved up to 35lbs. Then moved to lighter weights, 15lbs per dumbbell, doing 60 lifts. What I do is at 20 lifts I would alter my stance from having the legs close together, to far apart, to having them at shoulder width. I try not to take a rest break between alternation. I was able to handle the first 60. Made it through around halfway on the second set till I had burnt the legs and lungs for that matter out.

Then did 3 sets of shoulder front raises, starting at 15lbs and moving up in weight. These are great for tennis I've found.

And ended with lunges, with out using weights. I did 3 sets, with each set done till I could not lift anymore, which was in the 20 range.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I second that ouch! My dog fortunately doesn't bring toys to me, but if I'm on the yoga mat then she wants to sit on it too and will try to lick my hands & face. She sheds a ton too (she's a corgi) so my yoga mat gets covered in dog hair. Yuck. :p

Beach, sounds like a good workout! Glad you're getting back into the swing of things, and hope you're not too sore from it later on.

The hubby and I hit the gym yesterday - and he was fine, no allergic reaction whatsoever. And I think he had a better workout than I did - he spent most of yesterday doing our taxes with just minimal input from me, but it was complicated and stressful and he was just so stressed out. He didn't want to go to the gym at all, but I told him we were going, so he went and he felt great. All that stress just went away and he was smiling and happy for the rest of the evening. :)

Day 28 of my run streak. I made a second attempt at 10 10 30's today and it sucked slightly less than Tuesday. I managed three without falling off the mill, as opposed to Two on Tuesday.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Alli, we were looking for a corgi mix when we got our dog. A woman at work couldn't keep her anymore and this is seriously the perfect dog - she was 2 when we got her (4 now), purebred Pembroke Welsh corgi, trained with lots of commands, well-behaved and super smart. She pretty much just fell into my lap and I couldn't say no, so she became mine. She's a crazy goofball with huge personality and is too smart for her own good, and for some reason she likes me more than my hubby. She doesn't dislike him or anything, but when he's petting her, she looks at me. And if I say anything at all, she'll ignore hubby completely and come sit on my feet and stare at me until I pet her. So yeah, she's a bit obsessed with me which is why she wants to be wherever I am, even when I'm working out. She's a good dog but a little crazy too. :p

What are 10 10 30's? It sound dangerous if you risk falling off the treadmill!

10 10 30, a treadmill drill for strength and power, 10mph, 10%incline, for 30 seconds. 1 minute rest between. If you do them as a group you just trade places on the treadmill.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Whoa, I think I would fall off the treadmill too! 10 mph!! That's pretty much sprinting then, right? And 10 % incline to boot, that sounds very intense. I'm not a runner so it sounds crazy difficult to me - my arthritis gets aggravated if I jog for more than 5 mins at 5 mph with zero incline.

Thanks Cat! I'm afraid exercise rigor mortis is already setting in. Not a problem. I have the University of Illinois tournament game to watch this afternoon, coming on soon. As poorly as the team has been playing of late, there is likely to be few needs for me to move, jump up in excitement cheer the team on.

Glad your taxes are finished! Hope you are getting a nice return. I turned mine in the other day to our accountant. Now comes the waiting. I'm sure to receive questioning calls in the coming days - where is this document?, what are you trying to say here?!. I think our accountant gets stressed out this time of year. It could explain the now lack of hair that he has.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Thanks Beach! We're getting a better return than I was expecting, so it's definitely a good thing. My hubby worked at least a half-dozen freelance/temp/odd jobs last year plus he collected unemployment for awhile, so it was anybody's guess as to how that was all going to turn out tax-wise. Hm, maybe you're on to something, taxes could explain my hubby's lack of hair too. :p I giggled at the rigor mortis thing. Have you heard of this thing called "The Stick"? My brother gave me one for my birthday last year. You roll it over your muscles and it supposedly helps them from getting too sore and helps them recover faster after a workout. I'm not sure if it actually works, but it feels nice, like self-massage. Might help with the rigor mortis but I don't know.

I just looked at the website for the Stick and I'm overwhelmed. I'm not even sure which one I have. There are like a million different ones. My brother and I have issues with each other but he always spends way too much money on me for birthdays/holidays. But I have one of these things:
https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=0020

Cat - Nah, haven't used or seen the stick before. Looks interesting. I can see how rolling that over muscles could help some.

Early on when I first began working out I would buy over the counter muscle pain relaxers. I forget which ones this evening, but Advil probably was my best friend during those days. Now, I seem to be able to get by with out. I'm pretty numb most of the time to the workout pain. I'll complain a little about it, but overall it tends to not bother me as it used to.

Hope the weekend workout plan goes great! I'm looking forward to green fuzzy ball chasing on a tennis court and probably a few nice long walks. Hmmm... the gut remains grumpy, so maybe walks closer to the house done twice around.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh no Beach, avoid Advil! NSAIDs are terrible for us, they can worsen stomach troubles & cause bleeding ulcers, etc. In fact, I think ibuprofen may have contributed to me developing IBD. I went kayaking a lot the summer before I became ill, and I would pop ibuprofen like candy - I didn't realize what overuse of NSAIDs could do to the gut. Then most of my department got laid off at work which was hugely stressful, and I do wonder if the combination of stress plus the NSAIDs did me in.

Alli, I think I still need to hear this story. Someone else broke your stick and it's a long story? Please do tell! :)

Thanks Cat - not to worry, it has only been on the rare occasion that I've taken painkillers. I'm not sure what caused my IBD, but it was many years ago, and long before I took an NSAID.

Sorry about the troubles you and your husband are going through with work. Hope the economy improves in the future and with that your stomach woes.

This is a pleasant surprise. After the time off from exercising, and then a lifting working out yesterday, I expected to be sorer than typical waking up this morning. Instead I feel little to no discomfort at all. Hmm...if this is due to the new diet I'm following, I believe I can become used to this way of eating.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
No worries, Beach, that was over 3 years ago that my department got laid off. There were 10 people in my dept and 8 of them got canned (I was one of the 2 that got to stay, but I had to take on tons of new responsibilities and had survivor's guilt and all that). Now there are 4 people in my dept, so I still have a lot of responsibilities but it's better than it was. I have a new boss too who is very understanding about my health issues (she has health issues of her own) so things at work are okay for the most part right now. As for the hubby, he just does whatever he can to help make ends meet. He's been trying to find a full-time job but nobody's hiring animators/artists right now so he does whatever odd jobs/freelance jobs, and he works part-time in a costume shop too.

I ran today, but only so I wouldn't break the streak. I was suppose to do my long run this morning. But my stomach has been iffy for the past few days and last night and this morning was not fun. I haven't felt like this since I have been on Remicade. So I ran a few painful Km's and that was it. I will not break the streak.

hawkeye

Staff member
Went out for 5 sets of run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute this morning. It's the first time I've been out since Monday - had to focus on getting some project work done before vacation this week.

My stomach did settle down today. Ran 14km, it was gorgeous out. I am now half way through my streak and the total is 183km. I also signed up for a two-day 380km bike ride in June in support of the wounded warrior's foundation. I may have lost my mind completely :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I just googled and it looks like 380 km is about 236 miles??? Yikes! Yes, I would say you've lost your mind. Good luck with it! Have you ridden that far before?

The most I have ridden in one day was 160km (100miles). The first day of this ride is 220km, and the next day is 160km. Should be interesting anyway. This is the event: http://sssride.com/index.html It's actually a road ride, website is misleading, and also there's a typo, the organizers are new to this I think.

The route covers some pretty hilly terrain, I've driven some of it.

Ergh, I wasn't very active last week as I was getting a lot done with Uni (though I did get 100% on an assessment woo hoo!)

Back to the gym tonight! Alli well done on not breaking your streak you are fricking awesome!!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Good luck with the Humira, Lizzy!

My illness seems to be on the milder end of the spectrum (still officially undiagnosed though) so I owe my remission to Entocort and Asacol. 2 years in remission and counting. :D Just about 2 years that I've been working out regularly, too.

Hi, well done to everyone who mor then me. I am trying to get moviated but ni happened.
So, minus walking every other day 10 mins to 30 mins on week day. I need the warm weather to come back soon.

As for my crohns active but mild compare lot people on here.

We are going to get a cardio machine of some sort when our tax refund arrives. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Lisakuney, there are so many variables that it's hard to say. What types of cardio do you like to do, how much space do you have, etc?

Personally, the only cardio machine I have at home is an exercise bike, and I use it often. (I got it on craigslist for like $25 so it was not a big investment money-wise, but it does take up a lot of room in my guest bedroom. If I had been smarter, I would have gotten one of those bike-trainer things where you put your actual bike on it and can use it like a stationary bike, as I think that setup would take up less room and be easier to store.) When I'm at the gym I gravitate towards the elliptical machine just because I like it and don't have one at home. I don't do much on the treadmill at the gym because jogging makes my arthritis hurt more. I was tempted to get a fold-up treadmill as they don't take up much space, but I just don't think I'd use it enough to justify the cost.

I would get an elliptical if I were to buy some sort of exercise machine (other than a treadmill of course). They are low impact and good exercise. Brands, Precor if you want gym quality.

Was suppose to run 10km today. It didn't happen, we had a work lunch thing today for somebody that's leaving, it was at a German restaurant and I didn't want to go, but I didn't want to be rude. It didn't work out so well, and ended up in pain for the rest of the day. So I ran a measly 4km instead. From now on, Crohn's trumps being polite. Ugh.

I have luckily been disciplined about exercise all my life which stands me in good stead now. Basically the Crohn's is up and down and so is the arthritis/fibromyalgia that goes with it, and either one can knock me out of contention easily. However, when I am in a controlled period (meaning when I don't feel too bad) I go to my gym 3 times a week. I use an elliptical trainer for 25 minutes and then work out with very low weights and always with care. On that regime I recover a good level of fitness to prepare for the next fight, whenever it comes.

I am not sure I could have the energy levels to get fit from scratch, but luckily (or through hard work) my cardiovascular fitness is good and I can get back in shape within a few weeks after a crisis period. Spring is coming and from May I can swim outdoors and that is fabulous therapy. I'd love to use my bike (I was a raciing champion as a kid) but the toll on my neck is too great. My canoe hasn't been touched for a year but it sits there in hope.

I definitely think an exercise discipline can help with managing Crohn's, but more to the point it is the only way I know (a good workout) to clear out the shit from all the drugs and to be totally focused on something outside the disease. All the natural painkillers etc....

I am having worst time with luck, now for the 3rd time I have paid for a 5k, 10k or half marathon and ended up waking up feeling like crap. I am starting to wonder if just knowing I have the run the next day makes my symptoms worse. I don't run to win that just won't happen. I basically do it to collect T-shirts. How stressed could I be with I will get there when I get there pace.

I am very active and have been throughout my ups & downs with the diease.. I don't know if this has been a good or bad thing, but my doctors tell me that on paper, I look like the textbook definition of health... lol... I am a full-time teacher and a Zumba instructor part-time. Mentally exercising helps me get through the tough times!

I am very active and have been throughout my ups & downs with the diease.. I don't know if this has been a good or bad thing, but my doctors tell me that on paper, I look like the textbook definition of health... lol... I am a full-time teacher and a Zumba instructor part-time. Mentally exercising helps me get through the tough times!
I spent most of the week out of town, working and staying at a friend's hotel and some of her employees invited me to their Zumba classes, so I went.

Had a great time, and really enjoyed it:)

I am having worst time with luck, now for the 3rd time I have paid for a 5k, 10k or half marathon and ended up waking up feeling like crap. I am starting to wonder if just knowing I have the run the next day makes my symptoms worse. I don't run to win that just won't happen. I basically do it to collect T-shirts. How stressed could I be with I will get there when I get there pace.
I always get nervous pre-race. Even if I'm running for fun.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
62 km is short? I can do 12 miles on the bike on a good day, if I push myself. :p And that takes an hour and I sweat, a lot.

I am letting myself off easy today. Walked the dog for an hour in the morning and did 30 mins of yoga in the evening. Weights yesterday and tomorrow though, so today's kind of a rest day in that I didn't work up a huge sweat or exhaust myself.