• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fitness & Exercise Support Group

62 km is short? I can do 12 miles on the bike on a good day, if I push myself. :p And that takes an hour and I sweat, a lot.

I am letting myself off easy today. Walked the dog for an hour in the morning and did 30 mins of yoga in the evening. Weights yesterday and tomorrow though, so today's kind of a rest day in that I didn't work up a huge sweat or exhaust myself.
Lol, well, yes in relation to the ride I am taking on in June. Was suppose to go longer, but my dog is sick and spent the morning at the vet :(

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Aw, I hope your dog is okay! Is it the corgi mix or your other dog? And why do they always seem to get sick or hurt on the weekend when the regular vet isn't open? My dog once sprained her leg on a Saturday and the emergency vet isn't cheap, so I feel for you. It sucks having a sick dog and it sucks monetarily too. :(

Aw, I hope your dog is okay! Is it the corgi mix or your other dog? And why do they always seem to get sick or hurt on the weekend when the regular vet isn't open? My dog once sprained her leg on a Saturday and the emergency vet isn't cheap, so I feel for you. It sucks having a sick dog and it sucks monetarily too. :(
My lab-border collie mix. The vet actually has saturday hours so at lucked in. 3 years ago she got attacked on Good Friday and it cost a small fortune for stitches and holiday fee. It was pricey today too though, don't know what's going on so she had to run a bunch of tests.

Hope your doggie gets better soon!!

I did body combat today, it's my favourite class at the gym and I was sweating up a storm by the end of it! The class was absolutely chockers today, lots of people working off their Easter calories lol.

hawkeye

Staff member
Managed to keep up the 3 and 1's over vacation last week and will ramp it up to 4 and 1s tomorrow. Last day of "vacation" today.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Alli, how's your dog doing today? Any better?

Lizzy, that stinks, I dislike the fair-weather after-holiday workout crowd. The new year's resolution people are the worst! They get all ambitious about working out but quit right away when they realize it's actually hard work. But they clog up all the machines & classes for a little while and that just drives me nuts.

hawkeye

Staff member
Ramped the running up yesterday to run 4 min., walk 1 - a bit of pain at the start in the inner thigh going up hills. Heading out again tomorrow night.

Prettykitty: I hit them more like 5 or 6 times. Biggest fear ever is there not being enough blue rockets.

I haven't posted in a few days, been a really busy week, but still finding time for running, 40 days completed of my streak and about to head out for 41. I saw my GI doc yesterday, he asked if I was back to training, so I told him about the streak thing.. Pretty sure he thinks I'm a crazy woman!

I'm new to this site. I can't believe how many other runners are out there with Crohn's! I lost 10 inches of my colon in November and the part I hated the most was missing the Wine & Dine Half Marathon at Disney.

Any ways, hello everyone!

welcome to the forum and also to this group! :)

I was just wondering those of you who suffer from hip problems, which exercises make it worse? my hip is hurting a bit today, the only thing i did differently was doin four mins of the cross trainer at the end.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
LMV, I have some unknown type of arthritis in my right hip (going to see a rheumy for it but can't get in until July) and I suspect it might be spreading to my left hip and lower back. Jogging/running is the one type of exercise I just cannot do. I got it down to a science - I used to try to jog on the treadmill to warm up before lifting weights. I can jog for no more than 6 minutes - any longer and the pain really sets in. So that's about 1/2 mile. If I push myself to run 1 mile, I am in pain and limping for days afterwards. It's just not worth it. Walking sometimes sets it off too if I walk a long distance, or if it's very cold out. Snow and cold can trigger my arthritis pain by themselves, so walking + cold/snow means pain for at least a day. I can do pretty much everything else though without any hip pain - I can do the arc trainer, the elliptical, the bike, weights, etc. I'm sure a lot of this is probably pretty specific to me, but I hope that helped a little bit anyway. I hope your hip feels better soon and that it's just muscle soreness and not anything like arthritis!

hawkeye

Staff member
Me too! I always give myself enough time to hit the port-a-potties TWICE before the race starts...
Any time I went to a race with my wife, I was amazed by the numbers of portapotties at the start line.

Did another 4 sets of run 4 min, walk 1 min tonight.

Hey,
yeah I think/hope its muscular. I don't have arthritis but do occasionally get joint pain. Usually knees but sometimes hips. This is my right hip as well. I think its probably muscular though because it hurts more when I lift my knee up. I was just pushing the trolly in the supermarket and it was hurting more then. Hopefully it will go down in a couple of days. I might go swimming tomorrow.

Just went for a nice swim :)

I haven't been for ages but managed to get in 30 lengths. I probably could have done more really but you don't wanna stay in the pool forever do you. And I was with my mum and her friend. It was good and my hip doesn't hurt today.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That sounds fun, LMV! I haven't been swimming since last summer. I still don't like how I look in a swimsuit - my belly sticks out too much. Last year I bought a swimsuit with like a tank top instead of a bikini top, to cover the belly. I felt like an old lady buying that suit. I know, I'm over 30 so I probably shouldn't wear bikinis anymore anyway, but it still made me sad.

Cat you can get really nice all in one costumes! I have a couple so you don't have to be old!!
I have a black one which I use for swimming, its a halterneck and I have a pink flowery one as well, they are both control ones so they suck everything in!
I only really have bikinis when I'm on the beach to get a tan, I don't trust them for staying up when you are swimming properly!

That sounds fun, LMV! I haven't been swimming since last summer. I still don't like how I look in a swimsuit - my belly sticks out too much. Last year I bought a swimsuit with like a tank top instead of a bikini top, to cover the belly. I felt like an old lady buying that suit. I know, I'm over 30 so I probably shouldn't wear bikinis anymore anyway, but it still made me sad.
Cat, being over 30 doesn't mean you can't wear bikinis! That being said though, I never wear them except on vacation and I usually wear a t shirt over the, except on the beach.

Did a body pump class with loaded barbells this morning, whew! Gonna be sore on Tuesday :)

Kept my weights very low as it's my first class of this type for about 3 years, my technique really needs practice but I've decided to do it once a week for strength training so I'll get better.

Balance tomorrow and combat on Wednesday.. I've been finding group classes a lot more motivating lately than working out on my own, having someone instruct me for an hour!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Lizzy, what exactly is a combat class? Is it like boot camp, doing obstacle courses and stuff? Or is it more fighting, like martial arts? I've been kind of wanting to take some martial arts classes, but I'm pretty much the opposite of what you described - I love working out by myself, and I don't think I'd do very well in a class. I'm a huge introvert, and possibly my favorite thing ever is to just put my headphones on and drown out the rest of the world and get lost in my own head for awhile. That goes along nicely with working out by myself, and I don't have issues with needing motivation. But on the other hand, I'd like to learn how to kick butt and defend myself, and I know I can't do that all on my own. Hmmmm, I need to think on this more. I wonder if anywhere near me offers anything like a trial/sampler class.

I wonder if anywhere near me offers anything like a trial/sampler class.
Most cities have at least 1 place any larger cities 100's of place's for self defense class's. Almost all of them will give you a free trial, matter of fact I never seen one that didn't offer free trial or trial week. The free trial however is usually a group class. Paying for individual lessons can get pretty expensive, I was paying 40 dollars a hour for individual lessons where group lessons where 75 bucks a week as many nights as I showed up. Do research into the location, first to choose a art that accomplish's what you want and second that it is a place that is reputuable. Example I took my kids to a place where you were given your first belt if you refered a friend, not if you learned or demonstrated a group of abilities. Try to avoid place's like this.

Hey, I am a huge believer that endurance sport is good for Crohn's patients. So sign me up for this support group!

Currently in really good remission, no diarrhea for many, many, many months.

Exercising 3 times at least a week (about 90min to 2 hours), mostly running, rowing, cycling, a bit of weighs. 1-2 hour men's yoga (my firm pays for it and it's before lunch, so hey, why not!?) per week.

In winter of 2011/2012 I had severe problems with iron deficiency and anemia, had to get weekly iron injections and blood infusions. I started a more rigorous iron supplement regime in spring of last year and slowly increased my work-out schedule. My weight increased steadily from 60kg back then (after a flare up) to 77kg now. No inflammation for nearly a year now.

Well, as I said above, I am a believer in the positive effects of endurance sport. Whenever I do a 10k run, I feel good. If I don't do any sport for a week, I get grumpy and feel that my body doesn't like that at all.

Cat, body combat is my favourite class at the gym - it's a kind of aerobics class but it's based on mixed martial arts. So it's set to high-energy music and each song will be choreographed with moves taken from boxing, karate, kickboxing, muay thai etc. (You're just punching and kicking the air rather than a partner). It's a lot of fun but it's more of a cardio workout than serious martial arts.

Definitely find out if places near your offer any trials - it'd be good to go along and see if you enjoy a class and get a feel for it. I'm just not as good at pushing myself when I'm alone on the treadmill than when someone is telling me what to do!

Me and my sister just got back from a fun morning in town.
We went to both buy sports bras!
The first shop we both went in the same changing room because they went out into the shop so we didn't want to have to go out into the shop to show each other! I asked the guy if we could go in the same one and he was like "eerr... If you want to?!" haha
My sister got two, and some trousers and spent a total of £70! I did really like the first one I tried on, the same as what she got which was £30, but in the end I got another one from another shop for £22. Its a bit more bra shaped rather than like a crop top style but still has enough support. But I'm happy to wear mine underneath a top, whereas she wanted to wear hers on its own.

She might come to the gym with me on Friday, I hope she does lol it will be fun.

hawkeye

Staff member
Ramped it up to 5 and 1's tonight - 3 sets of run 5 min, walk 1 min with a 2 min run at the end

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm feeling so blah today. My mood is very low. I'm going to hit the exercise bike but I'd rather just hibernate for awhile. Hopefully doing some cardio will force me to feel a bit better.

hawkeye

Staff member
Haven't been out running since Tuesday - came down with a sore throat Tuesday and have been nursing a cold for the rest of the week. Going to try to get out tomorrow.

Ok, I've been thinking about getting a bike, and wanted to ask you guys about them. I have gone back to look at the bit in this thread we were discussing before.
So I haven't had a bike since I grew out of my childhood one!
My mum has one she hardly ever uses, I just sat on it to see what it is like on me. I reckon if I put the seat down as low as it goes it will be ok height wise. I'm not sure exactly what sort of bike it is, but it is one of the ones (like I believe most bikes are) where the handlebars are about as low as the seat. I'm really not used to riding in this position and I don't know if I like it. Like can you kinda look around at your surroundings or are you stuck in that leaning forward position?
I much more prefer the look of cat-a-tonic's one, where it looks like you are sat in a comfortable position.

I probably won't use my bike very often, short bike rides on occasional weekends around the village, occasional days out and such. I want to go on a five day holiday with my sister to the New Forest which we plan to take our bikes, but I doubt we will be on them all day every day. So that is about the extent of my bike usage.

If I'm honest - I've got £50 to spend, £100 if I get a job. My idea is to get a second hand one, there are some on gumtree for this price. I sort of have it in mind if I get a second hand one for not a lot of money now and see how I go with it, then I can invest in something better in the future.

My Mum's bike needs a new tyre and the seat and handle bars adjusting. Do you think I should sort that one out and see how I get on with it?

Otherwise I need an idea of the type I want so I can get looking for a second hand one.
(Its my birthday on Friday and I already have £30 so I'm thinking I could use my birthday money to put towards it).

Thanks! Sorry that was a bit long lol.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
LMV, if there's a shop near you that sells bikes, you might want to go and do a test ride on a few of them to get an idea of what size, style, etc works best for you. I will say that the style of bike was the primary reason I bought mine - I didn't want to be all hunched over the handlebars, I wanted to sit more upright, and I like it very much. I don't know much about bikes, but I did test ride a few and I read reviews on amazon to get an idea of what type of bike would work best for me and was in my price range. The bike I got was not too expensive (under $200), got good reviews, was the style I wanted, and is a pretty color. :p For someone who knows nothing about bikes, it fits my needs nicely and I get complimented on it when I ride.

Oh, and keep in mind (and in budget) any add-ons you might need too, like helmet, lock, basket, etc.

Even on a road bike, your back should be straight and core tight, not hunched over, if you have to hunch, then it doesn't fit properly. It is also possible to get road bikes with more upright fits.. They are called sport fit.

LVM,

The type of bike Cat has is a cruiser, which is great for riding around town, providing you're only riding a few miles, won't be doing any steep hills, plan on taking your time, and would like to sit upright to enjoy the scenery. Cruisers are also very comfy, with big wide tires and seats to cushion and soften shock. When my husband and I vacation in Key West, we rent cruisers because the entire island is only 4 miles long.

My bike (on first page) is a road bike, built for speed and distance. The seat is higher than the handlebars because the position provides more power to your legs so you can ride much further, faster and longer, with far less effort. There is zero cushioning and combined with those skinny tires, provides a rock-hard ride, which can be painfully jarring, even with padded bike shorts. However, it also glides right up steep hills, and you can pick it up with one hand, and hold it over your head as you run up several flights of stairs. With a good road bike, riding a century (100 miles) in a single day is very doable, although it may be several days before you can walk or sit again. At minimum, you can expect chaffing, if not blisters.

If you can find an affordable one, you might want to consider a hybrid. With hybrids, there are certain trade offs, but they usually incorporate elements of comfort (cruiser) bikes with wider tires and handlebars that allow you to ride in more of an upright position, while also incorporating the lighter weight and other design features found in road bikes. Some hybrids also include certain elements of mountain bikes, such as shocks and nubbier tires. hybrids can be very versatile, providing you don't mind the trade offs. Cross fit (sport fit) bikes basically are hybrids, but cross fits are usually somewhat higher end and more expensive.

Best of luck. :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
In addition to what Ya Noy said, I'd like to add that if you get a bike and it's not very cushy, you can add a gel seat cover or replace the seat entirely with a cushy gel seat. That's what I did for my bike - the seat it came with was okay, but I wanted my booty to be as comfy as possible (it's been through enough already, ha ha) so I bought a gel seat for about $25. It was worth every penny, it's so much nicer and I have hardly any butt soreness even after riding for an hour or longer.

And yeah, my bike is nice for riding around town but I definitely won't be entering any races with it or anything like that. But for stuff like riding to the grocery store or down to the farmer's market, it's great.

So ive been training now for 2 months for a big mountain bike event in my city. This is the first ever event held here and it takes in the local park and the wall city itself . Reall pretty full on difficult and a bit scary . personally i think it has been the best thing for me in a long time. Training regularly definetly helps your resilience to bad times and generally you do feel more in control .Its the one thing Ive done inthe last few years that has had the biggest and most positive effect on me physically and mentally . i am far happier and fitter.
Really under pressure now to learn all the new skills and get in the zone for this .Ive added a wee pic of my latest test run - not bad for a fifty year old.

Attachments

I have been building up my fitness over the last few weeks, it feels like slow progress to be honest but I always feel better for having done something.

Now I am entering a 3 hour Zumbathon for Crohns and Colitis UK and I have never Zumbered. Not sure if I have do the 3 hours straight but I must admit looking at videos on you tube has me worried :yfaint:

Plus the only time I have ever danced for hours on end is with a skin full of vodka or rum - not sure that's appropriate on a Saturday afternoon :ylol:

Hey guys!
I'm new to the site and am totally all about health/exercise/natural remedy to cure Crohns and put us all into remission!!! Yeah!!!

I quit smoking completely (tobacco), and limit the drinking to just a few on the weekend. I jog almost every other day (about 2 miles), and do strength training every other day (for about half an hour).

What's been your guys' experience with high-intensity exercise and Crohn's? Do you feel it exacerbates the symptoms, or helps allieve them?

It defaintly helps me not only with the crohns, but with other issues cause by crohns. If I am flarring I am carefull what I do though no squats, deadlifts or cleans. I just vary workload by how I feel.

So ive been training now for 2 months for a big mountain bike event in my city. This is the first ever event held here and it takes in the local park and the wall city itself . Reall pretty full on difficult and a bit scary . personally i think it has been the best thing for me in a long time. Training regularly definetly helps your resilience to bad times and generally you do feel more in control .Its the one thing Ive done inthe last few years that has had the biggest and most positive effect on me physically and mentally . i am far happier and fitter.
Really under pressure now to learn all the new skills and get in the zone for this .Ive added a wee pic of my latest test run - not bad for a fifty year old.
Sweet bike!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi smack116, welcome to the forum and the club. I don't doubt that exercise can help push someone towards remission, but I bristle at the term "cure" because there just isn't one yet. Semantics aside, welcome! I love strength-training too and have been lifting weights regularly for about 2 years now. I am not a fan of cardio but I make myself do either cardio or yoga on the non-weight lifting days. Usually I ride the exercise bike - I tried jogging, but my hip arthritis just won't allow it. As long as I avoid jogging, I feel like exercise makes me feel lots better. Even if I'm having a bad day, working out will make me feel better. It chases the blues away and makes me feel so much chipper too.

Alli, how's the streak going? You're just about finished with it, right? I'm assuming you're going to keep running regularly? Oh, and I forgot to ask earlier - how is your dog doing?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Beach Bum, I am not a dancer either (I'm clumsy and have no rhythm!) so I feel for you on the trepidation about the Zumba-thon. I've never done Zumba myself but my sister-in-law loves it. When is the Zumba-thon? If you've got time, maybe try taking a class or two so you at least know what you're getting into. For what it's worth, my sis-in-law went from taking classes to teaching Zumba very quickly, so it seems to me like it's not too hard to learn. (Although she's always been a really good dancer...)

Hi smack116, welcome to the forum and the club. I don't doubt that exercise can help push someone towards remission, but I bristle at the term "cure" because there just isn't one yet. Semantics aside, welcome! I love strength-training too and have been lifting weights regularly for about 2 years now. I am not a fan of cardio but I make myself do either cardio or yoga on the non-weight lifting days. Usually I ride the exercise bike - I tried jogging, but my hip arthritis just won't allow it. As long as I avoid jogging, I feel like exercise makes me feel lots better. Even if I'm having a bad day, working out will make me feel better. It chases the blues away and makes me feel so much chipper too.

Alli, how's the streak going? You're just about finished with it, right? I'm assuming you're going to keep running regularly? Oh, and I forgot to ask earlier - how is your dog doing?
I'm on day 56 :) going pretty well but I hyper extended my Achilles last weekend, so I'm still running but cut back the total distance this week. Intestines also questionable the past few days, my sister is visiting (hence my lack of posting) and we took a road trip to see a hockey game, ended up eating some iffy food that didn't agree with me, probably doesn't help that I'm near the end of my Remicade cycle, next dose in a week and a half.

My dog is back to her old self, thank goodness!

Beach Bum, I am not a dancer either (I'm clumsy and have no rhythm!) so I feel for you on the trepidation about the Zumba-thon. I've never done Zumba myself but my sister-in-law loves it. When is the Zumba-thon? If you've got time, maybe try taking a class or two so you at least know what you're getting into. For what it's worth, my sis-in-law went from taking classes to teaching Zumba very quickly, so it seems to me like it's not too hard to learn. (Although she's always been a really good dancer...)
Tried Zumba, I also have no rhythm, so I didn't enjoy it. Know lots of people who love it.

Hi Guys, I've been a bit quiet lately as Uni is ramping up and I've been made full time at work (yaay for money but booo for free time), but still reading all your posts. I missed the gym this week cos I slipped at work and fell on my butt (combination of new floor cleaner that left a residue and new leather shoes that hadn't been "worn in"), don't worry I'm okay but was totally embarrassed and a bit bruised on my tailbone.. Will be back at it once my butt feels up to it for lack of a better expression!!!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Lizzy, ouch! I bruised my tailbone once by sitting down too hard/fast on concrete when I was a teenager. I still remember that pain, so I feel for you! Not fun. I hope the tailbone feels better soon!

Hi, I'm a born again fitness nut. Breast cancer forced me to get serious about exercise. Hopefully it'll work for this stuff too.

Must do yoga today...

Artisan105

Yondaime
In the morning do 5-10 minutes of sit ups, push ups, etc. Later in the afternoon on M-W-F do the Insanity Workout for 30-40 minutes. T-Th play basketball with friends for 2-3 hours. Sometimes instead of basketball I go swimming with my baby niece.:)

Oh grumpygut you are from Auburn Washington! My fellow Washingtonian! :) I grew up in Washington. I lived in Federal Way, Washington Exit 143. We are neighbors! Went to Federal Way High School. Then went to University of Washington- Seattle.

Always nice to meet people from Washington. :) Much love & grace.

grumpyguts, do you not see a subscribe button at the top of this page on the left hand side, next to "post reply"?
If you see "unsubscribe" then you are subscribed to it.
If you don't see it I'll report the post and someone will be able to look into it.

Day 58 of my streak today. Mileage wasn't quite so high this week, wasn't feeling so great for a few days, but I did do my longest run since my comeback today, and it was a decent pace, 18kms, 1hr,27mins. It was a negative split run, so I started slower and came back strong.

Been trying out a bit of Zumba on the Wii - it's deceptively tiring so 3 hours is going to be fun. :) But there is no backing out now as people have started sponsoring me :D

I seem to be suffering a bit with my back today , the Zumba is the only different thing I have been doing so I have to blame that, going to do some more yoga to try to counter act it.

hawkeye

Staff member
Off running until the GI consult on Thursday and I figure out what is going on. Registered for a 5k next month.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hawkeye, good luck tomorrow. Keep us posted on what your GI says.

Alli, is the streak over? I presume you're still running though? Training for a race?

I have not been doing so well lately - I tried switching from Asacol to Asacol HD, but that did not go well at all, so now I'm trying out Delzicol. My guts are not pleased with all these medication switches lately. Still, I've been working out every day regardless. And I always feel better - mentally, guts-wise, arthritis-wise, you name it - after a workout. So even though I'm feeling crappy, I am glad that I always push myself to go to the gym, because I swear sometimes that feels like the only thing that's holding me together. :p

Cat, hope you find something that works for you!

Yesterday was the last day of my streak. I took a rest day today, but I will continue to train, will be running a marathon this fall. Racing a 10km on Saturday.

hawkeye

Staff member
Cat, hope you find something that works for you!

Yesterday was the last day of my streak. I took a rest day today, but I will continue to train, will be running a marathon this fall. Racing a 10km on Saturday.
Good luck on the 10K.

I might try to get out this weekend.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
It's SO nice out, finally! It took forever but it's finally really feeling like springtime. I was able to go outside today without a jacket for the first time in ages. I'm so looking forward to taking a nice long bike ride tomorrow. :)

hawkeye

Staff member
Pulled a 35 lb. toddler around the block in a wagon before supper. It was almost too warm in a fleece - I think Spring is here

My 10km was this evening. It was a hilly course, but the weather was perfect. My stomach cooperated too. I had an 8 second personal best for a time of 42:16, considering the course, I was happy with my time. Also I was first place female, mostly because he fat runners do the half on Sunday. My intestines had been revolting since the race though, Been to the bathroom more than a dozen times, I lost count actually after 10, mostly now just passing blood and mucous. Ugh!

hawkeye

Staff member
Did a 16 minute (4 sets of 4) run today, still working up to running 10 minutes straight. Felt better today, weather was great. Spent the better part of the afternoon outside putting new fabric and mulch down in the backyard garden.

hawkeye

Staff member
Out for another run tonight. Scan was uneventful - almost eventful although, the injected contrast made me nauseous

Hi guys,
As someone who is serious about fitness, I'm glad to see there's a group for it! I have bad back problems so daily exercising is a must for me. Plus I enjoy it so much I hate to miss a day (my husband thinks I'm nuts!). I use my elliptical twice a day, 45 minutes each time. I used to be a runner but after my last back surgery my surgeon said that it was a no-no. I'm finding now that my two biggest challenges are 1) working out when my belly is very painful and 2) keeping my weight up during a flare when I can't seem to eat enough calories but need to work out.

I do track daily workouts and calorie intake on myfitnesspal.com. It's very helpful, I certainly wouldn't have any idea how much I needed to eat to maintain the appropriate amount of calories without it!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Mccindy, welcome to our little group. :) I work out every day too, I feel so much better when I do, and like you said I hate to miss a day.

Have you tried yoga on the bad-tummy days? I find I can do yoga pretty much anytime, even when I'm not feeling well. Oddly enough I can also lift weights just fine on bad tummy days (except for the abdominals machines of course). We're all different though so your results may vary.

Hawkeye, was it a CT or MRI that you had done? I had a terrible reaction to the injected contrast they gave me for my liver MRI, I got super dizzy and nearly passed out. They told me not many people have a bad reaction, but most of those who do react will tend to get nauseous/vomit - they also said it's difficult cleaning vomit out of the MRI machine. Yuck! Anyway, glad to hear it was (mostly) uneventful.

Hi Cat! thanks for the welcome.:smile: I haven't tried yoga because I have a double-fusion in my lower back and bending and twisting can be painful. I could check into a modified version though. I have to lie on the floor to use weights because I have a lifting restriction too. :ymad: so frustrating! I'm glad to find this group, to discuss issues with working out. Many of the people in my life don't work out and don't like to talk about it, other than to call me an exercise nut. My husband is very supportive, though. Happy to be a part of something big! :ghug:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Mccindy, does your husband work out with you? My hubby will come to the gym with me and lift weights, but I recently asked him if he wanted to join me on a bike ride, and he looked at me like I was crazy. :p So I work out every day, and he works out with me when he feels like it. And honestly that's fine, I like working out alone.

That sucks that you have so many restrictions on your workouts. I only have one real restriction, I cannot jog due to hip arthritis. It gets really painful after about 5 mins of jogging. I can do other forms of cardio though as long as they're low-impact. I can do the elliptical, the bike, and the arc trainer. So I don't feel too restricted, it's not too bad. My tummy usually responds well to any form of exercise fortunately, so that's very good.

Cat- I'm working on him still.:ybatty: He will go for walks with me, or bike rides (when I feel up to them) but he's not very motivated. He does want to lose weight though, so he's trying to cut some foods with me kind of, but we definitely have to eat differently! Especially since I'm trying to eat enough of what I can tolerate to keep weight on and he wants to lose.

hawkeye

Staff member
Cat - it was a CT scan, they mentioned a metallic tastes as a possible side effect among some other ones but not nausea, although the technician mentioned that some people do get nauseous. The major side effect they are concerned with is anaphylaxis - they had a procedure for treating this taped to the cabinets in the room with the machine. They also make you stay in the waiting room for 10 minutes after the test just inc ase.

hawkeye

Staff member
Got out for a run this morning (2.6 k total) also got a set of the winter tires changed over on one of the cars

Beautiful in YGK today. 115km on my bike, went to the market, took my dogs for a walk/swim and mowed the lawn. Have yet to get my winter tired changed on my car.. Need to do that this week, my summer tires/wheels are in my basement, that will be a workout in itself to bring them up.

Can't wait to get my bike here (we moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota last winter) and go for a ride! It's finally getting nice here. I've really been enjoying my elliptical workouts - have to skip this afternoon though. Steamed for lunch and I'm paying for it.

Another beautiful day! 20km run, stained my deck, walked my dogs, rode my fixie to the gym, did weights, groaned when am had to ride my fixie back (big hill that separates my house from the base gym), now to relax!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Mccindy, do you mind if I ask, where in WI did you live? I'm originally from Oshkosh and have lived in Madison for about 11 years now. :)

Alli, I'm also wondering what a fixie is - is it a fixer-upper bike? Based on the context I'm guessing some type of bike anyway. I've found a really easy route for riding my bike to the gym, but I'm not sure if I have enough stamina yet to ride to the gym, lift weights, then ride home. (No big hills on my route like what you described though.) Are you totally exhausted after doing something like that? It's about 4 or 5 miles each way from my house to the gym so it'd be 8 to 10 miles riding, plus lifting - I just don't know if I'm capable of that quite yet.

Cat- when I was younger I lived in both Neillsville and Marshfield. In middle school I moved to Eau Claire and that's where I met my husband, in high school. We bought a house near Rock Falls, which is a little dot of a town 15 miles southwest of Eau Claire, where we both worked. Our sons went to Durand. I have some friends in Madtown and family in Milwaukee as well.

Artisan105

Yondaime
Guys and Gals...

Keep up the good work in keeping yourself fit. Not just to look good physically but to maintain a healthy GI tract. Let the intestines move efficiently with some exercise. :] Praying for you all.

Mccindy, do you mind if I ask, where in WI did you live? I'm originally from Oshkosh and have lived in Madison for about 11 years now. :)

Alli, I'm also wondering what a fixie is - is it a fixer-upper bike? Based on the context I'm guessing some type of bike anyway. I've found a really easy route for riding my bike to the gym, but I'm not sure if I have enough stamina yet to ride to the gym, lift weights, then ride home. (No big hills on my route like what you described though.) Are you totally exhausted after doing something like that? It's about 4 or 5 miles each way from my house to the gym so it'd be 8 to 10 miles riding, plus lifting - I just don't know if I'm capable of that quite yet.
Cat, a fixie is a fixed gear bicycle, I.e. one gear. I use it to commute to work since I'm only a few Km's away. It's awesome fun, though it's steel, so not as forgiving as my carbon fiber road bike. The base gym is 2.5km from my house, so it's not tiring to ride there, but my legs were sluggish from the run, so the uphill ride home sucked.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hawkeye, yes indeed, that is where they make the trucks! People were lining up there for jobs, that was one of the only places that was hiring a lot of people even during the recession. I think I heard they just laid off a lot of people though.

Alli, it must be quite difficult to ride uphill with only one gear? My bike isn't fancy or anything, but it has 7 gears and I use them all when I'm riding up & down hills.

Yup,one gear on hills sucks! Not going to lie. My commute to work doesn't have any hills.

This morning I ran 15km, and rode 51km after work on my carbon rocketship, my legs were tired this evening, but I passed a guy on the last significant hill 12km from the end, then he stayed in my draft and didn't take a pull! Not cool!

Wow, Alli, now I really look up to you! You must be a power biker to ride a fixed gear bike, especially on hills. My husband and I plan to ride our bikes more this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with it. It'll be a change of pace from the elliptical.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I concur with what Alli said, I've been doing the exercise bike in my back bedroom all winter and have been riding my real bike outside now that it's been nice out, and I've never had my guts act up when I'm on either bike, not even on a bad tummy day. I do get a bit nervous when I'm on my bike that I might need a bathroom and not be able to find one in time, but so far I haven't had any issues at all - the tummy has been totally quiet on all my rides. (I do keep wet wipes in my backpack though just in case!) I have hip arthritis and biking has been really easy on my hips too, so it's all good. :)

My only issue with cycling was last fall when I had a really bad flare and wasn't able to eat much, I wasn't able to fuel myself enough to ride for more than 40-50km.

I am hopefully going to be bringing my bike from wisconsin soon! I'm glad to hear it is nice on the gut. If my back will work with me I plan to take some nice long rides with the hubs!

I haven't been diagnosed (yet) - I have a colonoscopy next week and stool results too so I guess answers are on the way (I hope). I don't know enough about Crohns to gauge how severe a flare I am in if I am indeed in one... I guess bleeding for 6/7 days, major cramps, stomach permanently red and inflammed (since Dec).

As for exercise, I walk the dog for hours on a weekend and 20 mins a few times a week on evenings :) and I also train 2 hours 4 times a week as an olympic weightlifter and 2 nights a week with interval workouts. I usually have 1 day a week off intense training, maybe 2 on a light week. I train through any exhaustion/lethargy/achiness (got a personal best the evening my colon bled for the first and heaviest time) and absolutely need 8 hrs sleep minimum.

I appreciate that sounds fairly intense :eek: but it has been a long gradual road to that level of exercise!

Wow, little bear! It sounds like you are pretty tough, continuing your intense lifting regimen through all the belly stuff. I try to keep pushing on the elliptical on the days when I am feeling fatigued, but the days when my belly really burns I have a hard time. I at least try to make sure I do my morning half-hour (used to be 45 minutes but I had to cut back to stop burning as many calories) but sometimes I have to skip the afternoon. Usually I push through it though and feel a little better for it!