• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flagyl

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Anyone spent any time at all on the stuff? I received it, much as a gift, from my G.P. for some possible female bacterial infection (not female bacteria . . . mind you, but you get the picture, if there were no male bacteria, the race would die out . . . Kidding once again, of course). However, should I have Giardia, it would also be great! And, of course, it is often prescribed for Crohn's. I was wondering if anyone has spent any time on it. I feel good. My female infection is slowly improving. However, I look forward to my daily dose of nausea. Yes, I eat when I take it and I don't drink (cause that brings on some big ole side effect according to the Pill Book), but I am thinking I will beg off on my G.P. and ask to get to take some periodically in pursuit of keeping my Crohn's stable.

Hey . . . have we heard from GNC man in a long time? I just realized I haven't seen him since I returned.

I took flagyl and I hated it. I took myself off of it because I couldn't swallow it for the taste was wretched. I almost threw up twice a day as that was how many times I was supposed to take it.

I have not seen the GNC man in quite a while. I think he is working again and doesn't have much time anymore.

Good luck with that infection!

C

ccarp001

i have taken it several times for 2wks or so at a time and didnt have any problems with it! hope you start feeling better!

I have taken it and it made me toss my cookies up.
The Dr. then decided to give it to me in IV forum
twice a day.It did stop the vomiting but still felt
nauseated.No it didn't agree with me at all but
still had to take it for 2 weeks along with cipro.
TAMMY:eek:

I had to take it for about four months. None of this two weeks stuff. If I only had to take it for two weeks then I wouldn't have stopped taking it after a month or so.

I

Ilysha

My Flagyl Experience

Hi Cara,

I've taken Flagyl 3 times, the first two it worked well and no problems. The third time this past November in the midst of a bad flare it made me really nauseated, bad taste in my mouth, etc., and did nothing for the flare. The doc said the first two times my doses of flagyl were lower, hence having no symptoms of nausea, but the last time the dose was higher and my flare must have been worse. So, I think it can be quite effective if you are able to tolerate it and your symptoms are too out of control.

Hope that's helpful.

Good luck!

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Thanks for all the input. My GP just called and said that I definitely have some sort of "female-type" bacterial infection. The flagyl is helping and they are gonna give me another week of it. Yes, the bad taste and the daily nausea at times is not so fun, but I'm figuring I can put up with it because it's a good med. for the infection as well as any other bacterial issues I may have from Crohn's or anything else.

H

HostileJava

I was on it for about a year, it never made me feel sick, but it did have an absolutely awful taste. I used to take it with tea and try not to let it hit my tongue or any other part of my mouth going down.

Hi HostileJava. Do you know why you took it for a year? I also took for a year and only stopped after my GP said it shouldn't be taken for such a long time (although my GI said it's OK!!!). I also didn't have any side effects, but my GP warned of something that can go wrong with your nerves. I feel some tingling in my hands and feet sometimes; I don't know if it was due to my taking the Falgyl for too long??

H

HostileJava

He kept me on it because of the high does of steriods I was on. He was afraid of infection cause when I was much younger (4th grade) I was hospitalized for a C. Diff (sp?) infection. I also get tingling in my hands and feet although I'm not sure it's related.

B

bayguy13

I had rectal abscesses that had to be lanced and drained. After literally weeks of seeing drainage, my doctor put me on flagyl and the drainage went away right away. If I ever have to go throught that again, the first drug I'll ask for is flagyl.

Fistulas

bayguy13 said:
I had rectal abscesses that had to be lanced and drained. After literally weeks of seeing drainage, my doctor put me on flagyl and the drainage went away right away. If I ever have to go throught that again, the first drug I'll ask for is flagyl.

They are called fistulas and I too had them and still
have 3 right now. Cant take flagyl any more make me
to sick.At one time the Dr put me on IV flagyl and cipro
to try and dry them up. Right now The remicade helps for
the first 4 weeks then they start draining again. My only
way out at this point is to have surgery.An Ostomy. Im
not really big on the surgery part as of yet.If things get
worse then I will have no choice.I hate having these freakin
fistulas its bad enough dealing with CD.
Oh well just had to get my 2 cents worth in
Goodluck Tammy

O

old hat

I was on IV flagyl in the hospital. I didn't notice any nausea but I was getting IV Reglan at the same time so that is not suprising.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I ended up taking Flagyl for 10 days and then I couldn't stand the side effects any longer. Nausea and migraines to the point of whimpering. Got rid of the bacterial infection though, but hey, if the side effects don't kill ya . . .

B

bayguy13

Sorry, TNT, but abcesses and fistulas are not the same... I've had both. At one point I had a fistula between my bowel and bladder. The surgeon thought it best to do a temporary colonostomy so that it could cool down and be repaired. I had it for 3 months and hated it. But eventually, it was removed and it threw away the bags. Still have the scar and feel self conscious about after 30+ years.