• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare , Diffrent from last time?

Hi Everyone

I think im currently having a flare but this time its a little diffrent.
Last time i was very ill , i lost a lot of blood and was in and out of hospital for I.V steroids and AB's for a while.
I've been sort of well for about the last year or so (some small flares but ok)

This last 2 months my symptoms have been worsening again. Im having a lot of BM movements which are loose (no blood but lots of mucus) Sorry for being graphic. I was also suffering from bad cramping pains, and i was struggling to eat and have been vomiting a lot. I'm very bloated and have mouth ulcers again. I have also been very tired (all i seem to do is work & sleep) I had an appt with my GI on Tuesday last week where he said my CRP levels were raised and i was anemic again.
I was put onto Metro 40mg and Pred 30mg with the view to see him in 2 weeks to discuss starting Adilimab (? spelt right) injections. I have also been booked in for a colonoscopy and and Endoscopy too for Febuary 21st.
When i started the Metro things got better apart from my appitite and i was also very lightheaded which i was told was normal for taking that medication.
The problem now is since stopping taking the Metro, Im getting pain and Loose bowel movments again.
The pain is the part im struggling to cope with. It's in a few diffrent places ? The worst pain is above my bellybutton central which is a intense burning pain that comes in waves , I also have bad pain today under my ribcage RHS , thats a sharp stabbing pain which i've never experienced before. I also have general twinges of sharp pain LR & LL ? Basically everywhere is sore at some time or another. Sometimes the pain is so bad i feel as if im going to vomit and i have to lay down.
I just wanted to know if anyone else experiences pain kinda everywhere ? I thought i was in just 1 area ? (sorry still kinda new to this)
I was diagnosed with Crohns Colitis , but when i had an MRI scan done and their was evidence of thickening in the illiam too. Now im having my stomach looked at due to the pain im getting in that region and the vomiting. I kind of feel like im falling apart. Anyone else in this situation ?
My current medication is :
Methotrexate 15mg per week
Prednisolone 30mg per Day
Omeprazole 40mg per day
Ferrous sulphate 3 x tablet per day
Folic Acid 1 per day (5 days a week)
Domperidone
Ranitidine
(trammadol & Paraccetamol for painrelief)
Any help, advise, reassurence would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Joanne :ysmile:

When my son had that sort of pain it was from his stomach ulcers (crohns). I see you are on Omeprazole which is usually used with Prednisone because it is hard on the stomach. The Ferrous sulphate is hard on the tummy too. Are you remembering to take the Omeprazole daily and a half hour before dinner? I know if my son missed his he was in pain. Once he was off pred and iron for a month he was able to stop taking it. I am also not familiar with all of your pain meds but you want to make sure you aren't taking any NSAIDS as they will cause ulcers and could bring on a flare.

The only thing I could think of would be stomach issues either due to crohns in that area or just from all the meds you are taking. I am sure the scope will sort everything out. Drink plenty of fluids and make sure you aren't vitamin deficient that can add to the dizzy/lightheaded feeling and because you are on a PPI it will reduce stomach acid and make things harder to digest. It makes vitamins important.

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on. ((((((Hugs))))))

PsychoJane

Flares will unfortunately change from one another, at the least that is what I have experience. I haven't had general pain as I seem to not get pain unless I am about to die (I'm not saying that to sound strong... I just really don't get lots of pain, thanks god, except when fistula reaches my skin...).

As Johnymom's said, it can be pain related to the medication you are using because they unfortunately come with their loads of side effects. What I am a bit concerned about is your RHS pain. Was there anything bizarre with your blood count as Methotrexate can be pretty hardcore on your liver... Have you been on that medication for a long time?

Good luck with all that, I hope you will get better soon!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Sorry you are in a great deal of pain. Unfortunately it is possiblee to experience sharp pains especially at the most inflamed parts of your disease. It is also possible to have different symptoms with each flare.

That he is going to test you some more will be good as there is a chance your diagnosis may change or your symptoms may have worsened. Crohns colitis is primarily in the colon/ileum area so if you are experiencing pains above that like you said, its possible the crohns may have spread a bit. Further testing will help to see what is going on and what your next step in treatment of symptoms will be.

I hope you start to feel better soon :hug:

Thanks for the replys everyone,

Hi Jane , I have blood tests every month the last one being 2 weeks ago & the said my liver function tests were normal, I've been of the methotrexate for about 1 year but am supposed to be coming off it next week and swithing to Humira (adilimab), it was just the low iron and raised CRP that were diffrent.
I dont take any NSAIDS Johnnysmom and always take my omeprazole at night as thats what it said on the front of the packet. I was on steroids a few years ago for 7 months without any omeprazole (i was never given them by doctor) so i think there has already been some damage done. I'm really bad for keeping my fluid intact up but will start to try harder. Have a very busy job and always forget to stop and have a drink, but must make time :)
Thanks Crohnschicago , Im not looking forward to the tests at all but it has to be done , I know what to expect with the colonoscopy having been there and done that , This endoscopy is kinda scaring me though , Been told by a few people its not too bad thou and its a relativley quick procedure. Hopefully will have some answers soon.
Thanks for all you replys :)