• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare not responding to meds

I’ve been in a flare for about a month now. Was on hydrocortisone enemas for 8 days and was not responding. GI switched me to 9mg Budesonide and I’m feeling worse. Waking up at 4:30am to pass mostly mucus and blood. Then needing the bathroom at least 5 times in the morning before my stomach settles down.
I’m not asking for medical advice, just wondering what worked for you all in similar situations.
I’m getting pretty discouraged.

Last edited:
What do you actually have wrong with you crohns or colitis?

How long have you been on Budesonide?

Budesonide can take some time to work, depending on how bad the flair is stronger meds may be needed ?

I’m having a flare. Blood, mucus, emergency bathroom breaks, weight loss…

Anyway, was on budesonide for 2 weeks, no improvement.GI doc switched me to prednisone 40mg today.

my little penguin

Staff member
Your Gi did explain that the Cochran report no longer recommends 5-Asa (mesamalmine) as a monotherapy for crohns .
Mesamalmine only treats the top layer of the intestine for inflammation while leaving the layers underneath to simmer with inflammation.
5-asa can work wonders in ulcerative colitis since that only affects the top layer

definitely talk it over with your Gi

my little penguin

Staff member

Most Gi equate giving 5-Ada to give aspirin for a brain tumor -not going to help much but not going hurt much either

my kiddo was started on Pentasa at age 7
We were told by the second opinion Gi
If they work you will see it in 30 days

but that was almost 11 years ago
A lot has improved since then
He has mild crohns but major extra intestinal manifestations (vasculitus,moderate juvenile arthritis etc…)
So he takes Stelara and methotrexate.

Most Gi equate giving 5-Ada to give aspirin for a brain tumor -not going to help much but not going hurt much either

my kiddo was started on Pentasa at age 7
We were told by the second opinion Gi
If they work you will see it in 30 days

but that was almost 11 years ago
A lot has improved since then
He has mild crohns but major extra intestinal manifestations (vasculitus,moderate juvenile arthritis etc…)
So he takes Stelara and methotrexate.
Thanks for your reply. I can’t imagine being diagnosed and living with Crohn’s as a child.

I truly appreciate all of your replies. Even though I was diagnosed with Crohn’s almost 16 years ago, this is the first time I’ve had a really bad flare.

I found a new GI who seeks really great. I’m really hopeful. I am now on 60mg of prednisone (day 4) and I think I’m seeing some improvements. My new GI totally agreed that mesalamine was useless for my Crohn’s and will be starting me on remicade after this flare is under control.

My biggest issue now are my hemorrhoids 😳😞.
I hope you all had a great thanksgiving.

Lynda Lynda

Messed up head as in bawling my eyes out in my car today?? 😂😭
I took Prednisone during April of this year ( 30 days.) I thought I was going crazy! I was almost getting out of control when making medically related phone calls. Now I have been taking Budesonide for 6 months and am no longer screaming at people on the phone. I'm currently in a Crohn's flare and I am already becoming impatient, but I know it takes time for the Stelara to start working. Take Care and Keep In Touch, you will learn a lot on this forum. 🦋

I took Prednisone during April of this year ( 30 days.) I thought I was going crazy! I was almost getting out of control when making medically related phone calls. Now I have been taking Budesonide for 6 months and am no longer screaming at people on the phone. I'm currently in a Crohn's flare and I am already becoming impatient, but I know it takes time for the Stelara to start working. Take Care and Keep In Touch, you will learn a lot on this forum. 🦋
Wow. 6 months on budesonide with a flare. I always thought the steroids were supposed to work faster than that. My GI doc upped my prednisone to 60mg and I was still in a flare so he admitted me to the hospital for some IV steroids. Waiting on my first dose now!

Lynda Lynda

Wow. 6 months on budesonide with a flare. I always thought the steroids were supposed to work faster than that. My GI doc upped my prednisone to 60mg and I was still in a flare so he admitted me to the hospital for some IV steroids. Waiting on my first dose now!
I hope that you and your doctor can figure out the best treatment plan for you.