• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare or something else

valleysangel92

Staff member
I think this is going to be different for everyone but some of the ways I tell are -

* The severity and duration of my symptoms, if I vomit twice one day and then feel fine the next, its most likely a bug, when its a flare I have intermittent nausea and vomiting for weeks

* The location of any pain - my pain is usually the bottom right hand side with cramping pain banding across the top, if I have constant upper or left sided pain I know that's less likely to be my Crohn's, it helps that I know where my inflammation is though.

* If I have a fever - although it is possible to get a fever with Crohn's, I typically don't unless I'm very very sick, so, if I have a fever I probably have an infection of some sort.

* If anyone else around me is sick or I've been somewhere that has sick people - Crohn's obviously isn't contagious so if other people in the house are sick then its a bug, if I'm the only one and I haven't been anywhere to catch it then I know it must be Crohn's

* If loperamide helps the urge to go to the bathroom - usually it doesn't help when I have a bug but will if it's a flare.

As you get more "used" to how your IBD affects your body you will start to recognise patterns and symptoms that indicate a flare up, you'll get a sense for when to contact your medical team, when to go to the hospital or when to treat yourself at home with electrolyte drinks etc.

I think this is going to be different for everyone but some of the ways I tell are -

* The severity and duration of my symptoms, if I vomit twice one day and then feel fine the next, its most likely a bug, when its a flare I have intermittent nausea and vomiting for weeks

* The location of any pain - my pain is usually the bottom right hand side with cramping pain banding across the top, if I have constant upper or left sided pain I know that's less likely to be my Crohn's, it helps that I know where my inflammation is though.

* If I have a fever - although it is possible to get a fever with Crohn's, I typically don't unless I'm very very sick, so, if I have a fever I probably have an infection of some sort.

* If anyone else around me is sick or I've been somewhere that has sick people - Crohn's obviously isn't contagious so if other people in the house are sick then its a bug, if I'm the only one and I haven't been anywhere to catch it then I know it must be Crohn's

* If loperamide helps the urge to go to the bathroom - usually it doesn't help when I have a bug but will if it's a flare.

As you get more "used" to how your IBD affects your body you will start to recognise patterns and symptoms that indicate a flare up, you'll get a sense for when to contact your medical team, when to go to the hospital or when to treat yourself at home with electrolyte drinks etc.
I started with diarrhea on Saturday. General feeling of being run down. Today I noticed blood in the diarrhea. Have abdominal pain around my belly button and to the right. I finish an 8 week course of prednisone tomorrow.

my little penguin

Staff member
Bloody diarrhea
Notify Gi
5 mg is what the body normally produces
My kiddo always weans minimum of 5 mg per week
Ending at no less than 5 mg for a week
Sometimes even lower at 1-2 mg wean per every two weeks once under 10 mg
But that is per his endocrinologist

Bloody diarrhea
Notify Gi
We are doing the wean off prednisone and see if I flare and then consider capsule endoscopy approach. 🙄

I think if I had a diagnosis it wouldn’t be so hard to decide to call GI with these symptoms but I am kind of sitting in limbo waiting to see if I “flare” again

Bloody diarrhea
Notify Gi
For adults it may be different regarding the dossge

it’s a bit excessive to look for a second opinion for the pred dose. i’d whether ask why pred and not a biologic?
If biologic is not an option with your actual doctor, then yes ask for a second opinion

valleysangel92

Staff member

it’s a bit excessive to look for a second opinion for the pred dose. i’d whether ask why pred and not a biologic?
If biologic is not an option with your actual doctor, then yes ask for a second opinion
I have always tapered off 5mg per time as MLP is describing, generally the slower you go the easier it is to taper, it may differ between doctors but it's what many advise.

Because I don’t have a diagnosis yet. I had my scopes done while being on prednisone for 7 weeks. My GI said it could still be IBD based off steroid responsiveness of my symptoms. His plan is for me to wean off the prednisone and wait to see if I flare again. Then do additional tests and maybe start something else.