• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare or stomach bug?

Hello everyone. Its been a while. Happy New Year. Basically, I've been feeling like crap. It started New Years Eve with some cramping and gas (i did not drink any alcohol).
New Years Day I woke and had diarrhea in the morning and just felt crappy (fatigued, headache, chills but no fever). I did not have diarrhea again until last night after dinner. In between my stools have been somewhat normal.
But Since Saturday I have felt weak, a bit nauseaous, gassy, bloated and I keep getting the chills.
I spoke to my doc annd he said I should wait a couple more days because it may be a bug (its going around). But he says it could also be a flare. We should wait and see.
Im really agitated.

PS - Three weeks ago I had a colonoscopy and it was clean (remission).

I hope it's just a bug - there's been all kinds of germs going around... Could anything in the last 3 weeks have triggered a flare? Something you ate/stress/etc?

Keep hydrated and get lots of rest and hopefully it clears up in a few days!!

Sounds like the bug I had in November, had diarrhea, chills off and on and nausea for a few days, after that around day 4 I threw up a couple of times, then it disappeared. It left a hellova flare as a souvenier, though, still enjoying that lol.

Yea...bad tummy bug goin around right now. My family just got over it, and it was a nasty one. Although in my experience, flares are 10 times worst than a bug could ever be. I hope you get to feeling better soon~

ameslouise

Ibdoer - Where are you? Around here (Pennsylvania, US) there's lots of bad shiz going around, including stomach flus lasting several days.

I hope that's all it is and that is passes quickly!

- Amy

IBDoer - I am going thru a similar situation... feeling like crap, just had a colonscopy last week which was negative, so I hope it's just a bug (altought I have been known to be very symptomatic with each and every test being negative..)

Hello everyone. Its been a while. Happy New Year. Basically, I've been feeling like crap. It started New Years Eve with some cramping and gas (i did not drink any alcohol).
New Years Day I woke and had diarrhea in the morning and just felt crappy (fatigued, headache, chills but no fever). I did not have diarrhea again until last night after dinner. In between my stools have been somewhat normal.
But Since Saturday I have felt weak, a bit nauseaous, gassy, bloated and I keep getting the chills.

Hello! Are you me? Wow! I spent last night searching for what would be the cause of chills without fever and let my imagination run wild! I'm pretty glad to read that it could just be a bug.

My symptoms actually started on the 3rd and my d hasn't gone away, but it is not super serious. The chills are what got me. I have never had chills this intense. And the fatigue is there. No headache though.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm still about the same. Had one semi-solid bm yesterday, but still feel fatigue, chills, nausea, mild cramping. Headache that comes and goes. I cant't figure it out. If I'm the same tomorrow I'm going to call my GI. He says he may want to try Xifaxin for a while.

I was having the exact same question a few weeks ago. I just assumed it was crohn's and my mum suggested it might be a bug. But a couple weeks later and it hasn't gone away, CRP is up and so they have put me on steroids! So its hard to know, just hang in there and time will tell :) x

i woke up this morning with similer situation, really bad stool,could not keep liquid food down, was sure i was having a flare, but since chrones never presented this way before, i was scared and confused. i have terminal illieits, never had, just blockages, so the question is , how does the patient differiencient stomach flu from flare? if anyone can answere that, i would appreciate it. i was almost at the er, then my gi told me , sounds like foood poisoining, but i cook all my own food, so the whole thing is very disquieting and i dont think they know, but now i feel ok, so maybe he is right. its going around in ny, but i rarely leave my home. there is so much grey area, with this stuff, especially when your meds are not working, nobody really knows. any feed back would help. stay well, folks. i am at the end of my rope with my gi group, and they are tops in nyc

Just an update. Went to my GI and he says a stomach bug probably wouldnt last that long. Gave me Xifaxan once a day (550mg) for 20 days and some Rowasa.