• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare up advice needed

Hi everyone, I've been diagnosed with Crohn's Colitis (June 2013) and I'm struggling to control it.

I've been on Mesalazine on it's own and in conjuction with Prednisolone which didn't seem to help. I've been taking 50mg per day of Azathioprine for the last 3 weeks along with Pred and I've been worse than ever. I know the Azathioprine can take a while to kick in but surely I shouldn't be feeling worse?

It's at the point now I'm scared to eat anything because I can't cope with the discomfort. I've been careful about what I'm eating and just been making home made smoothies with Almond milk, coconut water, banana and some pro-biotic, carrott and butternut squash soup and normally a slice of white toast with some peanut butter on it! I've had the odd meal with just some mashed potato and plain white fish so it can't be anything I'm eating.. or can it?

My next consultant appointment isn't until 30th April so any advice I can get between now and then would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I hope you feel better. Sounds like you are eating carefully, to me. I'm having a flare today, too. Yippee, huh? I'm new, so no great advice, but total sympathy! Allison

theOcean

I find peanut butter can sometimes be too much for my stomach and it sometimes makes me sick... but only if I go really overboard with it. Otherwise nothing in your diet is really sticking out to me!

It does sound like you need to be on something stronger, though. Let your GI know that you don't think what you're on now is helping. In the meantime... I think you're eating as best you can. I was told to also eat small meals multiple times a day -- I found that would trigger bowel movements a little less often.

If you're eating carrots raw, I would be a little worried -- our stomachs don't always handle that so well. They're much easier cooked/steamed. Just make sure you keep feeding yourself, even if you're afraid of it. :( I know it's unpleasant, but you don't want your body to get in worse shape.

When my cramps were at their worst and I was basically waiting to go to the hospital/to my next GI appointment, I also got a prescription of hydromorphone for the pain. That way I also wouldn't experience tenesmus which would prompt bowel movements, but you have to be careful with that.

I also got a stress ball to carry in my purse to help me deal with cramps. Whenever I would get one I would get out my stress ball -- and it would actually help me deal with them. I found if I could push through the cramp, I wouldn't feel the urgency to use the washroom anymore.

My father (who also has Crohn's) also swears by Sitz baths with epsom salts. He says that would always help him deal with inflammation and stomach upset.

Not for every one else...but ocean peanut is a huge offender for yeast

I ate a ton of this as a kid ..now I eat almond butter as its a food yeast doesnt eat
But hard on the stomach if your stomach is not right

theOcean

Peanut butter is only problematic for me because of how rich it is and for the fact that I eat way too much of it. I get similar experiences with Nutella and cream cheese. I appreciate your insight but don't think it's relevant for me, and also don't believe in it.

Try oatmeal. Since I started eating two small portioned oatmeal packages a day, my stomach is feeling a lot better and no more diarrhea.
Me GI recommended to stay away from raw vegetables and salads during the time of inflammation, because they are harder to digest.
Sorry to hear you have so much trouble

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's very frustrating as I don't know what to do for the best... scared to eat anything.. and I LOVE my food :(
Would do anything to be able to have a slice of pizza :(

theOcean

I feel you. :( What I did when I was really sick was I actually started keeping a list of food I really missed... so once I started to get better my family and SO helped me fulfill all those food cravings!

I'd recommend what ESMR said, though: I find oatmeal is really easy on my stomach, too. Potatoes are also a safe food for me -- mashed potatoes especially.

When I'm flaring I switch to an elemental diet, which is basically pre-digested liquid nutrition. I use a product called Absorb Plus which is pretty good. Check w/ your doc before doing a diet like that though.

Would do anything to be able to have a slice of pizza :(
I understand EXACTLY how you feel. First thing after I go into remission I'm going to Five Guys and getting the biggest, greasiest double bacon cheeseburger covered in jalapenos and onions and chasing it down with an espresso just to celebrate being able to eat again.

In reference to your other questions, Azathioprine can take three months to build up to levels clinically useful for Crohn's patients because they need to carefully increase dosing and the fact it's simply a slow acting drug by nature. It works by preventing your immune cells from dividing so you need time for your white blood cell count to go down.