• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare up and anxiety/depression/SSRI

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I've just about reached my breaking point with this...due to a few very traumatic events in my life recently, I started having panic attacks/constant anxiety. Stress has always been a factor in my pancolitis, so I attribute the new stresses in my life to this flare up.

Now that i'm flaring, i'm even more anxious about having another panic attack/night terror which in turn makes me depressed and just worried about everything (impending feeling of doom). I was put on a low dose of klonopin by my GP and it helped immediately. Me being me, I decided that I didn't want to be dependent on this type of medication, regardless of how much it helped my anxiety. So after a 4 weeks on it daily, I started to wean myself off. Bad idea.

As the flare progressed, my anxiety got worse and weaning off the klonopin didn't help. I'm at a point now where I think I should try some type of SSRI...but I'm worried about the side effects. I know while I am taking the klonopin, all of my anxiety melts away with no noticeable negative effects. I want that type of effect with an SSRI but I don't know where to start since there are so many....

I should also add that I was using cannabis tincture/vaporizer to help my pancolitis for many years before these traumatic events occurred...so please do not blame the cannabis. It has helped my symptoms so much, but now it makes me even more anxious :( Everything makes me anxious and on edge now and this flare is not helping!

Are any of you guys taking an SSRI or anti anxiety med? I'd like to keep my klonopin while I try an SSRI but I know doctors aren't too keen on that idea. I am really anti 'big pharma' but i've just about reached my breaking point. What types of medication do you guys take for anxiety/depression related to IBD? Do they help you? Any input is appreciated...sorry for the rant, my mind has just been all over the place lately.

Terriernut

There are actually quite a few of us on anti depressants here actually! There isnt any shame in it whatsoever. I mean, look at what we go through with this disease?!

It is trial and error as far as what will work for you, and I hope your GP will try you out on something, and soon. I had to try several to see what would help without causing me WORSE problems with inflammation and the big D.

And as far as marijuana goes..if it works, go for it! And there are plenty of different types that dont cause paranoia. More and more GI's are coming to the conclusion that pot is a very good thing for some crohnies.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
There are actually quite a few of us on anti depressants here actually! There isnt any shame in it whatsoever. I mean, look at what we go through with this disease?!

It is trial and error as far as what will work for you, and I hope your GP will try you out on something, and soon. I had to try several to see what would help without causing me WORSE problems with inflammation and the big D.

And as far as marijuana goes..if it works, go for it! And there are plenty of different types that dont cause paranoia. More and more GI's are coming to the conclusion that pot is a very good thing for some crohnies.
Thanks for the input, terriernut :ybiggrin:

I know cannabis helps my symptoms immensely, and there is plenty of scientific/anecdotal evidence to prove it.... but it has suddenly made me very anxious to the point of where I don't want to use it no matter how nauseous/sick I am. Probably just the strain I'm using.... I know researchers in Israel came up with a strain that doesn't have any psychoactive effects, I wish I could get my hands on that! :rosette1: I want CBD, I could care less about THC or getting "high"

Anyways....I'm going to my therapist tomorrow so I'm going to talk to her about SSRI options. My original plan with my therapist was to wean off all anti anxiety meds but with this recent flare I don't think I can handle it! I know benzos can be horribly addicting so I think an SSRI might work well for me instead. Anxiety runs in my family, so I think I may just have some sort of chemical imbalance. I've always had anxiety, but it gets much worse during a flare.

I've been weaning off the klonopin but I felt so overwhelmed today that I broke down and took an entire pill. It helped immediately...

Any other input would be appreciated, thanks for the support guys/gals :ysmile:

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Update: (not that anyone is replying lol)

Stopped weaning off the klonopin for now. Back on it because my anxiety is out of control with this flare. My therapist referred me to a Psychiatrist, but I can't get in till mid December...so my GP gave me another klonopin script till I can discuss other options with a trained Psych. Colonoscopy on Monday, still waiting on my blood work....think I might call them.

tldr; flare ups suck, anxiety sucks, but meds help. With the anti anxiety relief I can eat my rick simpson oil without getting too anxious, which in turn helps my flare up symptoms....seems like every med out there is a catch 22

Terriernut

I've often thought that anxiety is a symtom of the disease. I've seen too many posts from people about this very issue. If you do a search, I am sure you will pull up many posts about it.

I do hope they can sort the anxiety without creating more gut issues for you!

I use wellbutrin for that. Anxiety is all part of the game!

Just treat it like anyother symptom- hit it head on and it will get better!!

Lauren

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Thank you :)

The Klonopin works well for anxiety, but I hope to find a less physically addicting option....i've been on a low dose for 1 month and don't play on using it for more than 2-3 months total so weaning shouldn't be a problem.

Got a call and my ESR, CRP and CBC are all completely normal....but i'm still having symptoms. This just makes my anxiety worse! What could it be? Or is it just a minor flare with minimal inflammation?

I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I just started on an anti-depressant myself, Celexa, due to everything going on. Sometimes we need help and it's ok! I know that with my crohn's anxiety and stress play a huge role in my flares/pain.

I hope you find relief soon.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I just started on an anti-depressant myself, Celexa, due to everything going on. Sometimes we need help and it's ok! I know that with my crohn's anxiety and stress play a huge role in my flares/pain.

I hope you find relief soon.
thanks, jess :thumleft:

A lot of people in my family are on a low dose of celexa for anxiety, and my cousin is on it to help with her IBS related anxiety. I think when I see my psych i'll suggest trying a low dose of celexa and try to ween off the klonopin.

Don't get me wrong, the klonopin is GREAT for anxiety, but it is definitely more physically addicting. Having anxiety sometimes is normal, but klonopin turns me into a care free person (which is good during a flare!) but i'd rather not be on it for more than 2-3 months.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm feeling a lot better about my situation. I know it's controversial, but now I can use my cannabis tincture without the increased anxiety that goes along with it and my guts have felt 5x better the past 48 hours :thumleft: I do not like the initial side effects of cannabis, but just like most ssri's, the negative effects go away once the drug builds up in your system. Wish I never would have detoxed my system, that's the reason i'm in this mess (multiple family deaths didn't help either)

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I appreciate the support and the ability to vent to people that understand how shitty IBD can be!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I have tried a couple SSRIs for my anxiety (back when I was undiagnosed, but now certain I had symptoms of crohn's during that time)

The thing to remember about SSRIs as with many medications is that everyone responds differently. And if you don't like one SSRI, there is nothing that says you can't get off of it and try another if you choose. Remember it's never a good idea to wean yourself off of medications. Especially with SSRIs as you run the risk of shock and intense withdrawal symptoms.

When I first got on them, my psychiatrist gave me Prozac. I was on the lowest dose possible, but I felt WORSE than I did without SSRIs. I had terrible mood swings and would cry uncontrollably for no reason at any given point in the day. It would be embarrassing traveling on the train to work and I would just break into tears and then an hour later have a smile on my face that I couldn't break. I also think I had an allergic reaction to it and went to the emergency room and refused to leave until they called my doc and had him change my medication. Many patients claim to have no issue, but I definitely couldn't tolerate this medication

I was put on zoloft instead and it proved to be very helpful for me. The only side effects I experienced was lower sexual arousal while I first started the meds and I became drowsy during the first weeks of taking it. That was an easy solution as I just started taking the meds at night before bed. Then by the time I had woken up, the meds were already in full force through my system. And while I had no problems with zoloft, I have heard many people experience bigger side effects than I did.

I currently only take xanax for anxiety emergencies (and sometimes to help ease flare symptoms/urgencies), but I take low doses and really try to use them as a last resort as they are known to be an addictive drug. But they do the trick if used only as directed.

Just remember the choice is always yours whatever you want to take and even if you don't want to take any at all. Don't ever feel bullied into taking them unless there is strong reasoning for you to be taking these types of medications such as your life being at risk if you do not take them.

You will normally be placed on the smallest dose possible and gradually tapered up to a more reasonable, maintenance dose. If this is not how your doc prescribes it, tell them you are more comfortable starting off small to see how comfortable you feel using these meds. Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself. And always be open and honest with your docs with taking these meds so that they are able to help you to the best of their ability.

Combining meds with counseling is also very helpful because you learn tools to help you cope on your own. And depending on your progress, it also increases the chance that you can lower your dosage or even come off the SSRI sooner rather than later.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Thanks, CrohnsChicago :D

I've been going to therapy for about 1.5 months and it has helped a lot with my recent troubles with anxiety. The klonopin is working for now...it almost works too well. I can see how people get addicted to these, but I plan to start tapering whenever I can get on something more long term and less physically addicting (I wont start weaning until I can see a Psychiatrist)

I'd rather be completely med free, but diet and exercise just aren't cutting it anymore. These meds are just a bandage for reality, but once I get my flare under control my anxiety will diminish by at least 50%

Marijuana can be effective in dealing with diarrhea, anxiety, and depression. If it induces anxiety or paranoia that may mean your particular strain has too much thc and not enough CBD. lol for a strain or tincture with a ratio of more CBD. That is the non psychoactive part of the plant.

Lynda Lynda

I take psychiatric medications. It is true what others have said here, each person can react differently to the same drug. I found it challenging to find the right fit for a Psychiatrist for me and also getting prescribed the right "cocktail" of medications that work for me. Counseling or Support Groups help. I had no luck with Psychologists, Support Groups worked better for me. My first Psychiatrist misdiagnosed me and put me on strong medications.....I wasted 6 years my life this way.

AND, just my opinion through personal experience, dont ever get treated for mental illness by a GP or have him/her prescribe you psychiatric medications. I was given a Psychiatric medication by a GP. No real diagnosis, no monitoring and no therapist. I never got better, only worse !

I went off of my psychiatric medications back in 2012 because of financial / job / insurance reasons and it had a very bad outcome, which then later on had a very good ending. Bad : Complete isolation and severe deep depression for a year. Good: All those bad meds got out of my system, I got help and a proper diagnosis and I got prescribed the right medications that work for me. 4 1/2 years and doing ok.

I am really interested in this cbd oil though.

Thanks for listening.
Lynda