• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare up Rant

Hey everyone,

I have had colitis since 2009, and have had major flare ups only three times since then - which I honestly count as super lucky. I am having a mild flare up now, and it's been going on for the past two weeks. I'm taking my meds, eating well, and trying not to stress too much, but I'm starting to feel blue because I'm mostly scared I'll end up in the hospital again.

Any advice on keeping the mood up, and not getting anxiety?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Also, let us know if you need someone to talk to. Usually there will be someone somewhere on here available no matter what time of the day or night you need us.

Do you have any hobbies you can participate in?
A bunch, yes, but because I'm not feeling well I've had to cancel both my gym plans, and seeing some friends this week :/
I had plans yesterday night, but I came home and just felt too sick, so I had to postpone to next week.

Also, let us know if you need someone to talk to. Usually there will be someone somewhere on here available no matter what time of the day or night you need us.
Thanks, I appreciate that :) that's why I posted the message - I saw that the forum is pretty responsive, and people are always helpful.

scottsma

We all have flares with varying degrees of seriousness.There are some who have flares lasting months or more.The trick is to know your own body,and how far to let the flare go on before seeking help.If you don't feel confident,then I would at least get in touch with your GP.Or maybe your GI.s office.Maybe your meds.need tweeking ?
Welcome to the forum,I hope you feel better soon.

We all have flares with varying degrees of seriousness.There are some who have flares lasting months or more.The trick is to know your own body,and how far to let the flare go on before seeking help.If you don't feel confident,then I would at least get in touch with your GP.Or maybe your GI.s office.Maybe your meds.need tweeking ?
Welcome to the forum,I hope you feel better soon.
I got an appointment today with my GP, and in a couple of weeks with a new GI.
We'll see what happens... I would just like to avoid to be put on Prednisone again.

Maybe you can find good movies or music to distract you. As Cross Stitch gal said there is always someone on here to talk to.

I'll have my appointment next week, and so far the medications were working fine. I took steroids for about a week, then decreased my doses, and now the pain in my upper abdomen is back. I'm so tired of this :/

So, I was in the hospital from Friday to today, and today I'm feeling better. They kept me on IV and steroids, as well as antibiotics because my WBC were reaaaaaally low. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better.

So, I was in the hospital from Friday to today, and today I'm feeling better. They kept me on IV and steroids, as well as antibiotics because my WBC were reaaaaaally low. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better.
I hope you feel better real soon.

I got out of the hospital on Sunday, and have been trying to rest since then. The pain is still there, and the steroids are not helping with it :/

What helps me a bit with anxiety is watching good films on TV, particularly thrillers and murders. I make sure I've always got a few recorded ready to view, and it invariably takes my mind off my health troubles for a couple of hours.

Another flare rant here. It's been a month, with 3 weeks of bleeding too. I started Pentasa supps the day I started bleeding and then saw my GI a few days later for an appt that had already been scheduled. He gave me a script for prednisone and told me to fill it if things didn't improve in a week. Well, it's been a week and if anything, it's worse. More blood, less eating, less of me. I called my local IBD Clinic yesterday but didn't get a response to my message. Going to call doc later today.

I missed a week of work a week ago but couldn't afford the time this week because of job commitments. This is my first major flare since diagnosis just over 2 years ago.

I'm frustrated because I've read that things like the bleeding should improve within a week of starting prednisone, not get worse. I guess I'm scared too... And damn hungry!

Tony H

Another flare rant here. It's been a month, with 3 weeks of bleeding too. I started Pentasa supps the day I started bleeding and then saw my GI a few days later for an appt that had already been scheduled. He gave me a script for prednisone and told me to fill it if things didn't improve in a week. Well, it's been a week and if anything, it's worse. More blood, less eating, less of me. I called my local IBD Clinic yesterday but didn't get a response to my message. Going to call doc later today.

I missed a week of work a week ago but couldn't afford the time this week because of job commitments. This is my first major flare since diagnosis just over 2 years ago.

I'm frustrated because I've read that things like the bleeding should improve within a week of starting prednisone, not get worse. I guess I'm scared too... And damn hungry!
pred can work quickly sometimes but the dosage might need to be adjusted a bit , what dose pred are you on ? and dont be scared , the bleeding is a bit frightening but post and rant away here , theres always a shoulder to cry on day or night

ps
love your user name , I presume you are a David Eddings fan ?

Huge Eddings fan...have read and listened to the books several times.

I started on 40 mg of pred. I did the first taper to 35 yesterday, but the increase in bleeding happened the day before. I'll take 40 ag.ain today.

I think I need to take some Imodium, just so I can get some sleep and get some food into me...and go to work. It's just a really busy time of year, and I'm loathe to take time away because it's more work to plan to be away than it is to go. I'm not very good at leaving my responsibilities for others to manage.

Anyway, thanks for the support...:)

Tony H

in general if I was bleeding I would not start to taper until thing had improved , 40mg is normally the go to dose to start with , when I had a colon I used to take predfoam enemas as well as the oral pred and that used to be quite effective .

Hope the doctor can help you

Talked to the doc. He wants me to stay on 40 mg of prednisone for another week. If no improvement, then it's a hospital visit for IV prednisone or Remicade. *sigh*

Talked to the doc. He wants me to stay on 40 mg of prednisone for another week. If no improvement, then it's a hospital visit for IV prednisone or Remicade. *sigh*
Usually the Prednisone should kick in, in a week. I just tapered to 30mg, and have been feeling better. Keep us posted!

Any advice on keeping the mood up, and not getting anxiety?
Daily silent meditation, yoga and ocean swimming, help keep my mood up and reduce anxiety.

I find I get anxious when I have nothing to look forward to, and am bored at home overthinking things.

A good Bach Flower Remedy mixture works magic too. My natural-health doctor mixed up an excellent Bach Flower mix with about five essences in. It totally cured my last bout of anxiety and depression. You just take a couple of drops under the tongue.