• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare when increasing aza dose ?

Hi on the 6th of this month my GI increased my dose on aza from 50mg to 100mg daily. My stomach has been making some pretty angry noises :ymad: for the last few days . I also have a dull pain on my lower right side and get some pretty intense cramps after I eat - anything even applesauce and bananas, my safe foods. I wondering if these are just side effects of the dose increase or if I could be starting to flare. Has anyone flared soon after increasing their dose of aza ?

Hello zeppy 321. How long have you been taking azathioprine for now? I to am taking azathioprine and I'm slowly increasing week by week.I've not had any symptoms like yours..The only weird one would be I get flushed cheeks? Sensitive teeth gums and ulcers....
I would definitely give your prescriber a call to get medical advice especially if your worried in anyway.
sorry I couldn't be any more help.. xxq

Hi Carrie , I have been on aza for a little over 6 months now. I also get flushed cheeks and have very sensitive teeth - I did not know that could be from the aza . Thanks for letting be know that. I had to go to the ER today. They say I am flaring. This disease sucks !