• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flaring again.....whats my options?

Hello! I haven't posted in a really long time, I guess Ive been really well & all things crohns havent been on my mind.

I was diagnosed with crohns of terminal ileum in 2009, with strictures. I didnt go on any meds til 2013 when I started on azathioprine which I took successfully until late 2018 when I came off it due to being in remission.

Things had been going well, and I even had my first baby this year - no issues crohns wise. However, 4-5 months postpartum Ive started with loose bowel movements & alot of urgency, but no pain, bloating, blood or anything else.

Symptoms are mild but recent fecal samples are showing high levels of inflammation - so looks like Im starting to flare. My IBD nurse is discussing course of action with consultant this week.

However, given current covid situation, i really really don't want to be immunosuppressed just now but fear it may be my only option (I dont think 5-ASAs are very effective are they?).

Those of you with mild/moderate disease - what treatments do you take?

Hi there! I don’t have information for you right now, but I can offer you my thoughts after I have a virtual appointment with my doctor this Monday. I have the same question as you, actually. I have mild Crohns and have never been on maintenance meds, just a round of Budesonide every 5 years or so when I have very minor inflammation seen during a scope. But now my site has significant inflammation and I had a dilation procedure for the obstruction this week, and will start a small dose of “something.” I was very allergic to Pentasa 20 years ago, so am curious what the recommendation will be. But my concern is the same as yours during this time. I’ll circle back by Tuesday next week. Congratulations on being a mom!!! How wonderful. Sorry you aren’t Feeling 100%, but glad it’s a lesser flare. Take care,