• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flaring back up agian with imuran?

I've been on imuran for about a month now and my gi told me to give it atleast 6 weeks for it to work. From what i've read its usually 8-12weeks for it to have full effect. But each day im having more and more cramps and pain in the spot above my belly button. This is the spot where i had pain when i went into the er and got diagnosed with crohns. I don't know how long my gi expects me to give this medication but if it gets worse i would think he would switch me. Anyone ever taken imuran and had issues like this and then the medicine started to finally work. My gi said if it didn't work it was on to remicaide. I just can't believe that the medication isn't working and all i have is mild crohns and just inflammation. The pain is terrible too. I was perscribed tramadol when i came home from the er but it was only for 30 days and it didn't do anything for me at all.

Are you on only imuran? When my GI put me on imuran, he also put me on prednisone at the same time, so that I'd have something that would potentially be working for me while the imuran took it's time to kick in. Afterwards, eventually I was taken off the pred and left on imuran. As for your question about having cramps and pain... I don't recall that imuran made it worse, but then again, at that point when I was first taking it, my pain was fluctuating a lot. I hope you feel better soon and that you and your GI find the med(s) that work for you!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey lola,

Silverlining is right, most people are diagnosed with Crohns because they are flaring so they are given steroids, and sometimes antibiotocs, to knock the inflammation on the head fast. They are then also prescribed something like Imuran to take over when the Prednisone is finished.

My son had this regime but continued to have pain whilst on it and they found he had the complication of a fistual and abscess. This probably isn't the case with you though but rather the fact that the Imuran won't be fully therapeutic for at least 3 months.

Any chance of a second opinion?

Dusty. xxx

In My case flareup started again when i was on 2.5 mg Pred(Had taken pred for 5 months starting from 60mg). So he increased it to 5 Mg and asked to take 50x2 mg Azoran. He told me to stop taking Pred after 3 weeks. This is just a month back. Now every thing is fine, except for joint pains and nausea

I was on prednisone but started taking entocort and weaned off the prednisone. now im just on entocort /asacol and imuran.

I was on prednisone but started taking entocort and weaned off the prednisone. now im just on entocort /asacol and imuran.
hmmm. That's also what I did - first on prednisone and imuran then tapered off prednisone and replaced with entocort. How much entocort are you on? Have you been on entocort before and has it worked for you?

I didn't think Imuran was ever going to kick it for me. Right when I hit the 6-week mark, my diarrhea and bleeding stopped almost overnight. Hang in there!

(However, about a week later I developed pancreatitis and had to stop the Imuran.)

Im taking 3 pills a day. 9mg i believe. I just got diagnosed in february. This is the first time i've taken this medication. But since i've been on it i don't feel its doing much. I think prednisone had the most effect but had to wean cause of cushings.

@2thfairy : did you have any symptoms of pancreatitis? Or did your doctor find it in blood work.

Today wasn't as bad as yesterday but i still have pain after i eat and doing any bending makes it worse.

lola99--I had symptoms first and then blood work that confirmed it. Though I only had mild pancreatitis at that point, the symptoms were vomiting that woke me up from a dead sleep, constant nausea in between vomiting, feeling full after 3 bites of food, and intense localized pain near my stomach.

I am surprised as well that your doctor did not put you on prednisone until the Imuran kicked in. I was put on it during my last flare, but I was also put on 40mg of prednisone that tapered over a nine week period. I am always put on prednisone during a flare until the new drug kicks in. I did not notice any increased pain or cramps, but I did notice that once it started to work I started to get more nauseated and tired. It took about two to two and half months to be effective. I hope you are feeling better soon and the Imuran works for you.

I am surprised as well that your doctor did not put you on prednisone until the Imuran kicked in. I was put on it during my last flare, but I was also put on 40mg of prednisone that tapered over a nine week period. I am always put on prednisone during a flare until the new drug kicks in. I did not notice any increased pain or cramps, but I did notice that once it started to work I started to get more nauseated and tired. It took about two to two and half months to be effective. I hope you are feeling better soon and the Imuran works for you.
I was on prednisone and weaned after i had been on entocort for 4-6weeks. So now im taking the entocort and imuran. He said i could wean off the entocort once i had been on imuran for awhile and my symptoms had gotten better. So i guess the entocort is a relpacement for prednisone. I can't take the prednisone anymore because i got cushings only have 2-3 months of use at 20mg. Doing okay this morning my stomach isn't sore. But my symptoms come and go. I went a week with no pain hardly then the next week i felt terrible. Now ive gotten a cold. Im paranoid about taking these immunosupressents since they make a person more prone to infection.

Im taking 3 pills a day. 9mg i believe. I just got diagnosed in february. This is the first time i've taken this medication. But since i've been on it i don't feel its doing much. I think prednisone had the most effect but had to wean cause of cushings.

Today wasn't as bad as yesterday but i still have pain after i eat and doing any bending makes it worse.
Ah I see. 3 pills was also what I was initially put on. I'm not sure if entocort works as well for everyone. Yes, it's a steroid like prednisone, but the difference is that prednisone is systemic (works in a non-targeted way) while entocort is supposed to only be released and work once it gets to your gut.

So I guess this is all pretty recent for you. It definitely does take some time to sort out the medications and find what works for you! Hopefully this happens sooner than later! Has your GI made any alternative suggestions?

Ah I see. 3 pills was also what I was initially put on. I'm not sure if entocort works as well for everyone. Yes, it's a steroid like prednisone, but the difference is that prednisone is systemic (works in a non-targeted way) while entocort is supposed to only be released and work once it gets to your gut.

So I guess this is all pretty recent for you. It definitely does take some time to sort out the medications and find what works for you! Hopefully this happens sooner than later! Has your GI made any alternative suggestions?
The only thing my gi has suggested is to stick out the imuran for a few more weeks to give it time. He said if it didn't work that the next option would be remiciade. I don't feel like its bad enough to go on remiciade yet. The last two days have been better but i am still having cramps when i try to eat or do housework.

The only thing my gi has suggested is to stick out the imuran for a few more weeks to give it time. He said if it didn't work that the next option would be remiciade. I don't feel like its bad enough to go on remiciade yet. The last two days have been better but i am still having cramps when i try to eat or do housework.
Well let's hope that imuran kicks in for you! He didn't offer any other options other than remicade? Glad to hear though that you are feeling a bit better!