• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flaring

S

scottishgirl

flaring

argggg

i dont get to see my doctor untill 4th aug and im fed up having no meds and just struggling along with it all.
i took myself off the codeine while i was away coz i decided 3 years on it was enough and my body was too dependant. so now im on nothing again and im flaring and cant eat a thing.
i also have the wee one full time and feel guilty coz she wants to go out and do things and im just not able right now.
i have an appointment with my gp this afternoon but he thinks i should be back on the codeine till i see my doctor and i really dont want that either.
there rant over thank you for listening lol

I hope you feel better, just stick with doing what you can when you can, and I'm sure the little one doesn't mind too much, kids are pretty intuitive

D

DannyB

Hi Steph,

Good to see you back from your hol's. I also took myself off the codeine phosphate myself and it didn't really do me any favours either, after talking with the doctor he said that the codeine phosphate doesn't have any side effects to worry about and that it doesn't matter taking them for long periods of time.

V

Valentina

awww, sorry Steph, hope you feel better soon.. I started to flare when I got back home from holidays as well :(
soesnt seem fair does it? hold on as best you can til Aug. and hope it goes fast. xo

M

meowsie

Ugh. Sorry you're flaring, Steph. Please be as kind to yourself as possible. Hang in there, hon.

S

scottishgirl

well im back on codeine lol. the doc looked back my records and did some tests and untill i see the doc at hospital he wants me back on codeien coz its the only thing that worked to stop the flaring etc so ive just taken the first two and i feel miles better already.
lets just hope the hospital next month get their finger out and get me on some proper meds!!
thanks for the responses its good to know people care x x

D

Donna

Steph, I am glad you are on the road to recovery. I know it sucks, but sometimes without those awful meds, we would all be in deeper piles of poop than we wanna be!

I can relate with the kids thing. I have an 8 yr old and a 2 year old. Believe it or not, the 8 yr old, although my biggest helper, sometimes has the worst time understanding why mommy can't be like she used to be. She remembers me before I got sick. My son on the otherhand doesn't know of a time when mommy wasn't flaring. Course he is also too young to understand. But there are days when he wants what I can't do at that moment, and it sucks. My theory is to be the best mom I can be when I feel crappy (pun intended) but still make time for me to rest and get better. I try to do the things they wanted me to do when I am no longer flaring. It does help with the guilt feeling I get but not all the way. So just hang in there. They adapt just like we did when we were diagnosed.

Donna

J

Jonny

Glad your feeling better steph after the codeine.Keep well

E

ElaineH

Hi Steph, I remember reading that you went for a colonoscopy before you went away, have you not had the results yet? Seems an awful long time to wait!

Don't worry about the codeine, i have been taking it since i got my loop ileostomy 8 years ago, for me its a very effective maintenance drug, however, it won't stop you flaring. I am having a flare right now, still using the codeine but also now back on Salazapyrine, which is starting to make me feel better already after just 5 days... hope you get some meds sorted soon.

Elaine

S

scottishgirl

hi elaine, nope i got the colonoscopy and the biopsy almost 8 weeks ag and still nothing, they sent me an appointment out for the 4th aug so hopefully by then ill be told whats going on.

J

JoJo

Jeeze Steph, that must be about 8 weeks you have been waiting on those results, why hasn't you're GP chased them up? Do you not have an IBD nurse that you can speak to? Another month is a long time to wait especially as you are flaring.
I get my results in a fortnight from a colonoscopy and biopsy done 2 weeks ago. I have been told though to call the hospital if my symptoms get worse. Maybe you should do the same

Last edited:
D

DannyB

Yeah I agree with Jo on this one. I would chase them wierdo's up and get it sorted out ASAP.