• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flexible Sigmoidscopy with Colonoscopy Prep?

Apparently my doctor wants to be really really sure of what's going on before making any medication adjustments. Yay.

I had an MRI a week ago that showed narrowing of my ileum and inflammation all along my lower left side. Rather than mess with things right away, he wants me to schedule a Flexible Sigmoidscopy. I asked about the prep, and he said either four or five saline enemas, or 4 Dulcolax tablets + 14 caps of Miralax, which is what I did for my last colonoscopy. After having major issues with rectal foam, I opted for the oral prep. I'm just terrified of it, because the taste/ consistency of Miralax (which I'm only supposed to mix with 32 oz of whatever) makes me gag, and I ended up passing out while doing the last prep.

So to anyone who's had this test done, was the prep that intense beforehand? And how was the test itself? I was told I'd be sedated, and that it would be easier than the colonoscopy. After that I ended up in the ER from pain and bleeding, so I'd like to hope that I won't have a repeat of that.

Trysha

Staff member
The prep I had for sigmoidoscopy was two Fleet enemas one last thing at night the other first thing in the morning.
I know it was not the best but the GI was able to complete the exam and take biopsies.
I was not sedated ---they don't usually sedate for sigmoidoscopy and I was able to tolerate it. I have crohn's in the left colon.
It is certainly easier than colonoscopy and quite fast.
He then ordered a virtual colonoscopy which required the usual bowel prep---dulcolax and picosalix.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

I had a Flexi Sig a few weeks ago, they gave me an enema, and left me for half an hour, then completed it but gave me 4ml of sedative in case i had to have another one, or a colonoscopy in the future as to not put me off, he found nothing, and i then went into hospital for a week after an MRI result and a stool sample calprotectin result (very high).
I then had an perianal abscess form, which got drained and is well on the way to recovery, i'm seeing the consultant and the surgeon this week to see how it's healing and will drop an update then, but touch wood, doesn't seem to be making a fistula at all, i have Crohns by the way, and he wants to put me on infliximab soon.

I have my first flex sig next week. Prep is listed as 1 fleet enema and clear fluids the day before. The assistant said usually there is no sedation but I requested it ;)