• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fluid build up right side of abdomen & pain post surgery

Hi all,

I hope you all had an amazing Christmas.

Last Tuesday the 23rd of dec I had an Ileal resection due to stricturing. I had a few terrible days but was released on the 28th. By the 29th my pain and nausea was that bad I ended up readmitted into hospital.
Ever since, they've been trying to figure out why I feel so terrible. The CT I had last night showed large amounts of fluid built up on the right hand side of my abdomen, as well as air trapped under my ribs and in my shoulders.

Now just tonight after opening my bowels, I had increasingly horribleeee pain. It was on the right hand side near where they rejoined my intestine and also in my back under my right hand rib.
I ended up not being able to breathe and in hysterics because it hurt so much. I was given heparin and had an xray and blood tests which all came back clear.
The CT also ruled out any leaks.

Has anyone experienced anything similar before? It's a week after my surgery now and I'm still in horrible pain with bouts that are unbearable.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. The surgeons, drs and nurses are a bit stumped.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Lara, I'm sorry you've had to endure this...especially over Christmas. I don't know what might be causing it, but I hope they figure it out soon.

Hi Lara,

I'm sorry that you're going through so much pain.

I had something kind of similar happen after my 2nd surgery; although not exactly.....
I had internal bleeding after my op, although it wasn't discovered for a few days. After being discharged, following a load of transfusions, I found that my pain was getting worse and worse. I was re-admitted a week later, when they discovered a large hematoma in my abdomen and a collection of fluid in my pelvis. Unfortunately I then spent the next 5 weeks in hospital while the surgeons tried to work out what to do with me!
Eventually I had a lot of the hematoma removed via a drain in my abdomen, some of the fluid was removed under general anaesthetic and the rest just disappeared! (Which was a relief as they were just about to put a drain in my butt cheek!) I've been in remission since then, so all is good.

I know that's not exactly the same as yours, but sometimes it's good to know you're not alone with these things happening. Wishing you a speedy recovery!