• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flying with Crohns

I'm flying from Oregon to New York on Saturday...And am feeling pretty nervous. I was prescribed Entocort when I was diagnosed in November. It worked for a bit, but symptoms are back and blood work today suggests I'm back in a flare. I'm going to see the doctor about changing my medication tomorrow, so I'll ask him too...But anyone have any advice or tips on flying while flaring??

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
If at all possible, try to have a seat close to the bathrooms. If that isn't possible, see if you can trade so you can be at the end of the aisle so you don't have to climb over the other passengers next to you. Also, bring your own food that you know will be ok with you and won't mess you up. You can also talk with the flight attendant and let them know you're having troubles.

I've flown while in a flare before. Luckily it's always been with my husband, so I haven't had any problems. In a lot of ways, think of this like a long car ride. Only difference is that you're on an airplane where you're traveling with a bathroom onboard. Good luck! :hug:

This is what I do when a long flight.day before light diet,on the day,no food loperamide 4hrs before flight and one as I step aboard don, eat on the flight the foods garbage anyway it's no loss.good luck

I have a different but related question - due to the meds I am now immunocompromised. Back in September I contracted a very serious case of pneumonia and spend over two weeks in the hospital.

Now I'm always worried about contracting another infection. I've heard or read that traveling by plane increases the chances of catching the flu or a cold tenfold. Sometimes, though, there's no option but to get on a plane.

How do you handle this? A second bout of pneumonia would be awfully tough, what precautions can I take to avoid the situation if a flight is unavoidable?

I have a different but related question - due to the meds I am now immunocompromised. Back in September I contracted a very serious case of pneumonia and spend over two weeks in the hospital.

Now I'm always worried about contracting another infection. I've heard or read that traveling by plane increases the chances of catching the flu or a cold tenfold. Sometimes, though, there's no option but to get on a plane.

How do you handle this? A second bout of pneumonia would be awfully tough, what precautions can I take to avoid the situation if a flight is unavoidable?

Have you had your flu shot this year?

I flew to Vegas the end of November, on IBS meds that made me use the bathroom wayyyy more often than normal. I had an aisle seat, I also knocked myself out with some gravol (not that I am condoning drugging yourself, but if you are sleeping you are less like to be up in the washroom) Make sure you bring some flushable wipes. Sometimes there is no soap/toilet paper in the washroom. As for not contracting flu/pneumonia I would say load up on vitamins and make sure you are well rested and hydrated before your flight. Will help your compromised immune system fight off anything you may catch

I was recently on a flight where someone wore a mask. I am not sure if she had something or was afraid of getting something. When she was not in her seat she had a scarf covering the mask (probably less noticeable on a woman). My son just got over pneumonia too, which kicked off a kidney condition. I was wishing I had a mask I could put on him. Although, he is 13 and would probably never agree to wear it, but I would do it if your white blood cell count is really low.

I know they have my son put one on in the ER when we have gone in. I tell them he is immune compromised and they give him a mask and get us into a private room as quickly as they are able to. So maybe??

I had my first ever flight while in a flare only a few months ago. Woo that was nerve wracking considering I also suffer with agoraphobia!!
I would also suggest an aisle seat close to the bathroom if your able. Also maybe carry a spare a change of pants etc in your carry on if your able to. If like me your worried about that sudden urge to go right at the wrong time, eg when you absolutely must he in your seat belted up, or when someone else happens to be in the bathroom, then possibly wear some depends or something if the likes, degrading I know but I'd rather that than the other option of messing my pants if something was to happen!

I just turned down an all expense paid trip to puerto rico because I am afraid of flying and bf I was diagnosed or had my first flare, flying would make me really sick so I can only imagine what it would do now

I flew from Alaska to Toronto when I was in the middle of a flare and on no medication. I ate very lightly the day before and I took immodium in the airport before my plane took off. Luckily I was flying all night so I didn't feel like eating, but it is easier to bring foods you can tolerate if possible. There is nothing I can eat on planes or in airports that won't leave me feeling horrible. Like someone above said, bringing an extra change of clothes and wipes is a good idea just in case.

Also, it can be hard but try not to worry too much. Flying makes me nervous and the stress causes me to feel like I have to use the bathroom more often. I was in and out of the bathroom for an hour before my plane took off because I was so worried about having an accident thousands of miles away from home. Once I finally got going I was surprised at how uneventful the trip was. I traveled for 12 hours and didn't need a bathroom!

Thanks for the advice! The flights went smoothly! ...Actually uneventful exactly like McM17 said. For anyone who might be in this situation: I took Imodium and Dramamine (I get motion sickness too), brought wipes and extra clothes just in case, and packed food (plain chicken, rice crackers, granola bars [just the plain honey kind], banana). I think feeling prepared helped me relax, which in turn helped my tummy stay calm.

nogutsnoglory

For anyone flying in the future who is concerned I would also bring it up with your flight attendant. They can allow you to use the bathrooms during take off, landing and turbulence if necessary but you definitely want them aware.

Are there any flight attendants on here that could weigh in on what to tell them? The few times I've done it ( trans Atlantic flights) the response to telling them has pretty much been good luck with that or I can't give you permission to go against the signs but I'm not going to tackle you.

I once asked this of a friend of mine who is a flight attendant. She basically said that she cannot tell you it's ok to disobey the seat belt signs, but she wouldn't stop a person either especially if she knew ahead of time. Basically, what Shiny said above. I've never been in the situation where I felt like I had to tell the FA ahead of time but I wouldn't hesitate to if I needed to.

In traveling, I have always found that thinking about it stresses me out more, which makes me think I need to run the the bathroom. So I try to relax and keep my mind occupied with anything and everything else instead.

nogutsnoglory

In today's and age it would be very alarming to the crew if you run to the bathroom especially when seatbelt sign is on. I would definitely alert them if it may be an issue just for peace of mind.

I just had an interesting flight from Costa Rica to Nicaragua. I had to use the restroom when I boarded the plane. But they were still re-fueling the plane which I can't believe they allowed us on the plane to begin with, so I was told I had to wait. As we were taxiing on the run way, the flight attendant came an told me it was now OK to use the restroom. Huh?!? Oh yeah, I wanna be in there when the plane takes off...no thanks. The entire flight was quite different security and procedure-wise than any I have ever been on, and this was a well known airline in Central and South America (part of Star Alliance network).