• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flying

Hi

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease a month ago, my sister has it as well, however, she was diagnosed 2 years ago and she has trouble flying. I have become so so worried about flying now and in two weeks I am going to Thailand and Australia. I will be on a fourteen hour flight and then a ten hour flight not long after that. And then repeat the same flights a week later and then 4 weeks after that. I have only experienced 3 flare ups so and and I can not handle the pain very well. Please, if anyone can help me prevent any kind of flare up with flying can you please let me know? I'm thinking about not eating the day before flying so I may not go to the toilet as much? Also am I able to take windeze while on steroid treatment??
Thank you

Talk to your doctor to see what his/her suggestions will be to alleviate this problem. I have never been on such a long flight, but when I do I eat very bland the day before, or very little at all. My GI has given me medicine to slow down my colon and calm it, so I do not use the restroom all the time in situations when I will not have access to the restroom. Again, talk to your doctor and see what they suggest.

Talk to your doctor to see what his/her suggestions will be to alleviate this problem. I have never been on such a long flight, but when I do I eat very bland the day before, or very little at all. My GI has given me medicine to slow down my colon and calm it, so I do not use the restroom all the time in situations when I will not have access to the restroom. Again, talk to your doctor and see what they suggest.
Thank you, I will give him a ring and see what he says. Hope he is able to give me something

Bufford

When you do fly ask the flight attendant for water as the dry air in the cabin will increase the chances of constipation. Also get up often and go for a walk through the aircraft, sitting for long periods will also increase the odds for constipation.
Whenever possible I try to schedule departure when I am at my best, which is afternoons. It gives me time to allow for timely bowel movements after breakfast. There is nothing worse than rushing first thing in the morning, though often hard to avoid when traveling.
Finally some airlines offer special menus for those with strict diets, otherwise try to pack a sandwich or food that is part of your normal diet. Traveling creates a huge challenge to maintaining a healthy diet when one is away from the routines of home.

I heard walking around a lot is good because it reduces air expansion? I actually don't plan to eat before the plane to be honest - I don't think I could manage it. Thank you for your help

Hi

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease a month ago, my sister has it as well, however, she was diagnosed 2 years ago and she has trouble flying. I have become so so worried about flying now and in two weeks I am going to Thailand and Australia. I will be on a fourteen hour flight and then a ten hour flight not long after that. And then repeat the same flights a week later and then 4 weeks after that. I have only experienced 3 flare ups so and and I can not handle the pain very well. Please, if anyone can help me prevent any kind of flare up with flying can you please let me know? I'm thinking about not eating the day before flying so I may not go to the toilet as much? Also am I able to take windeze while on steroid treatment??

Thank you

I fly a fair amount and have done 18 hour flights from America to Africa and can understand your fears. First like others have said, drink a lot of water while flying. Flying dehydrates you so drink water. Do you use Imodium or lamodil? They will help. I would ask for an aisle seat as well so that you don't have to climb over anyone if the urge to go suddenly happens. I would encourage you to eat the day before but think BRAT diet (bananas, toast, pasta).
Lastly, I always have a change of clothes with me and a washcloth and either wet wipes or toilet paper. If you have an accident, not the end of the world. Stay calm you can clean yourself up change and put everything in a ziplock bag.
I've never had to change clothes but knowing that I can if need be, makes it eadier

I fly a fair amount and have done 18 hour flights from America to Africa and can understand your fears. First like others have said, drink a lot of water while flying. Flying dehydrates you so drink water. Do you use Imodium or lamodil? They will help. I would ask for an aisle seat as well so that you don't have to climb over anyone if the urge to go suddenly happens. I would encourage you to eat the day before but think BRAT diet (bananas, toast, pasta).
Lastly, I always have a change of clothes with me and a washcloth and either wet wipes or toilet paper. If you have an accident, not the end of the world. Stay calm you can clean yourself up change and put everything in a ziplock bag.
I've never had to change clothes but knowing that I can if need be, makes it eadier

Do you ever have any pain? Or mostly just the urgency to go and a little pain? I've got myself some wipes and some windeze and Imodium. I will try some toast and bananas the day before like you say. I'm just worried about the second flight, once my body gets use to being on the ground again I have to go straight to the next flight. I never gave flying a second thought as I experience pressure on my body when I dive but because my sister as a serious problem flying I have just started to panic. Thank you for your advice

Hi, I recently flew Australia - UK and back in a week, and then to China and back. My plan of attack: don't drink a huge amount pre flying or eat dodgy food. I can rehydrate later so...that's a personal preference, it probably isn't great for you, and you'll need to take eye drops cos dryyyyyyyy. Once on the flight I will drink wine and plenty of water - but not straight away, otherwise it's hard to sleep. I just hate getting up and down if I haven't got the window seat, and I love the window seat for sleeping! I don't use the bathroom a huge amount anyway when I'm on steroids (which I was), and for long flights, I take gastro-stop. This didn't affect me badly at all, and had the intended effect, so I'll keep doing that.

I also, as backup (particularly for the UK flights as it is 23 hrs flying from my country), had sleeping pills. Just antihistamine ones, and I did take these on the 14hr legs, and didn't suffer ill effects or jet lag. Flights are really routine. An hour for boarding, an hour for watching a tv show and eating, another hour while they clear away all the tray tables then they will dim the lights and put the cabin to sleep if it's a night flight, and you'll be awoken about two hours before landing.

On my way back from China, I had an obstruction and that wasn't as good... (only an 11 hr flight tho) I had a sticky heat pack to help, and took a lot of panadol. Sleep was nearly impossible and I was pretty much exhausted after that one. If pain is a problem, keep your painkillers handy.

Think of it like a really long bus trip, it's basically all flying is these days.

Thank you for all your help. I think I got nearly everything I need for the flight - except for sleeping pills. I also have many many pain killers. Thank you

Just another, very important, thing to consider (as if we didn't have enough with IBD!) - Crohn's Disease puts us at higher risk of DVT because of its (and the drugs) effects on the blood.

Please make sure you stay well hydrated, wear flight socks, and keep your legs moving as much as possible, even if it's just flexing your feet and calfs.

Just another, very important, thing to consider (as if we didn't have enough with IBD!) - Crohn's Disease puts us at higher risk of DVT because of its (and the drugs) effects on the blood.

Please make sure you stay well hydrated, wear flight socks, and keep your legs moving as much as possible, even if it's just flexing your feet and calfs.

Well I didn't know that at all! Thank you for the warnings! I really appreciate it