• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

FODMAP Diet

I would just like to find out if anyone done the FODMAP Diet and how did it work for you? They want to start me on that diet and i need to see dietician and i know nothing of this.

I have a friend who is doing it. She says it's hard especially when you have little appetite because there is no sugary foods you can eat to get yourself hungry. But it has helped her Crohns symptoms (which was primary abdominal/stomach pain), she hasn't had a huge issue with diarrhea so I'm not sure if it would help that. She does it in combination with a sort of low residue diet (no vegetables or high fibre).

I have not done the FODMAP diet myself. I've tried several different diets over the years though and of late am experiencing good success with a wild caught fish or Pescatarianism diet.

That seems to be the key from what I've read, finding a diet that works best for you. We all seem to respond differently to them.

I only mention as I quickly chatted with a dietician about the FODMAP diet recently. She has worked with patients to find trigger works that are be behind disease conditions. Some sweeteners are allowed she pointed out.

There is a doctor in the UK that has conducted dietary studies on patients with Crohns. He found around 90% of Crohn's patients see improvement when trigger foods are eliminated from ones diet.

What he found and recommends is to work with a dietician to figure out trigger works that could be causing the IBD. The FODMAP diet might be what works for you. If the FODMAP diet does not help improve your situation, a different dietary idea might help.

If interested in seeing more, an article on Dr. Hunter's dietary Crohn's work can be read here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1076594/How-tackle-Crohns-Disease-help-drugs.html

&

his web sight can be viewed here:

http://www.crohns.org.uk

Good luck.

The FODMAP diet isn't really a diet as usual.
You start with an elimination diet to find out which type of sugars (the acronym is made up of different types of sugars, fructose etc) cause issues for you. Depending on your reaction you then need to be careful and minimise or avoid those foods from then on.
If you don't react to any of the sugars then you won't need to avoid any of them.

I did it and found it very interesting but luckily found no new things to avoid so I just stick to low fibre, no onion, nothing spicy and minimal diary all things I already knew I react to.

Do think that i realy need to see my dietician , is it worth it or will i be waisting my time with this? I really dont even know what they do there lol

Good question. You might call in advance and find out what to expect. Will the FODMAP diet find out what is causing your IBD?

Many years ago I saw a dietician for my IBD condition. At the time I felt it was a good learning experience, but my dietician didn't help improve my IBD condition. The counseling was on basic nutritional information.

The Dr. Hunter, mentioned earlier that uses dietitians to help patients workout trigger foods seems to use trained nutritionists for this work. A few of Dr. Hunter's IBD patients on been on this sight in the past. Both thought well of the program, as it improved their conditions.

Do think that i realy need to see my dietician , is it worth it or will i be waisting my time with this? I really dont even know what they do there lol
I found it very useful to see a dietician about this, not so much for general food advice but for FODMAP there is a lot to know. I think there's almost no point trying this without a dietician, you'll never work out what foods could be causing issues.

Doing a FODMAPS diet properly for a while will identify most of the foods you have problems with, but it will not tell you why, and it may not deal with the causes,
It just tells you what is not good to eat at that time.

so it can help with lots of issues, bloating, gas, cramps etc

With fodmaps the idea is to eat so little of the sugars that are not well digested that you have no problems, and periodically reintroduce in small amounts to see if they are tolerated.
It's super easy to mix in with a paleo (not very-low-carb, just medium-to-low-carb) trial period too, as grains are fodmaps and have to be excluded for a while.

I found this podcast very useful, It's all FODMAPS
(find the podcast, link on the webpage)

Dr. Siebecker Explains the Art and Science of the FODMAP Diet
The science of FODMAPs starts in the name: Fermentable Oliogosaccharides Disaccharides Monosaccharides And Polyols. For many reasons, these carbohydrates are easily fermented and the byproducts of this cause digestive pain. But as we’ve discussed before this is very individual and the quantity consumed is very important.
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/09/dr-...rt-and-science-of-the-fodmap-diet-podcast-45/

I am on the FODMAP more or less and yes, it makes a huge difference for me. I could see improvements quite quickly, it reduces gas in general, depending on what you choose, it can also consist of smooth foods, if you just eat cooked foods (I could not eat any raw food, too painful).