• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Folic Acid?

For those with kiddos on folic acid... do you fill it through the pharmacy or just buy it over the counter? If over the counter, is there a brand or type that's best?

With changes to our insurance, it looks like it might be cheaper for us to do OTC.

There is no difference between OTC and rx, right?

Thanks

Maya142

Staff member
We get it prescribed...never tried OTC honestly.

I think my little penguin gets it OTC.

We used to always fill ours through the pharmacy, just because it was free (once we hit our max out of pocket for the year after January's Remicade infusion). But then last time they sent us a bottle of 0.4 mg pills (rather than the usual 1 mg) and wanted us to give 2.5 tablets a day. The pills were hard to cut, and tasted bad once they were cut. I found that I could order the same brand on Amazon inexpensively, in our preferred 1 mg tablets, so that's what I did. It's exactly the same as what we used to get from the pharmacy:

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Blend-Folic-Acid-1000/dp/B004KWI2SG/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487379070&sr=8-1&keywords=nature%27s+blend+folic+acid

I don't know if this brand is best, but it seems to work well for my daughter.

Wow, pdx... 1000 tablets for $18? We're paying $20 for 30 tablets! Unless others have thoughts, I'm sold. And it's gluten free to boot... that's always my follow up question.

Wow, pdx... 1000 tablets for $18? We're paying $20 for 30 tablets!
Yikes--that's steep for vitamin pills! It's probably worth checking in with your doctor about it, but I can't see why there would be a problem.

I buy a brand called Jameison. She likes the size and shape and they aren't chalky.I think it was 6$ for a hundred or so. Canada.

The GI nurse said OTC was just fine, so I ordered from Amazon (thanks, pd.!). That bottle is going to last forever!