• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food for flaring?

I'm currently flaring, ongoing abdominal pains, blood and stool and loss of apetite. I'm still trying to reach my GI to get it check, hopefully within a week of so. I was wondering what are some food that you guys eat that "soothe" the stomach? Whenever I feel sick I'd drink some green tea. Anyone know anything that'd help with the pain or doesn't worsen the flare? Thanks in advance! :smile:

I drink Ensure Plus. My dietitian recommended trying to drink 6 Ensure a day when in a serious flare, 3 Ensure a day when recovering. It seems to soothe the intestine while providing easily absorbed nutrition.

Good luck.

I drink Ensure Plus. My dietitian recommended trying to drink 6 Ensure a day when in a serious flare, 3 Ensure a day when recovering. It seems to soothe the intestine while providing easily absorbed nutrition.

Good luck.
I've never tried that yet. Is the ensure all you had? or do you had it along with something else like solid food? I normally drink BOOST, but I'm gonna try some ensure then, thanks :)

I go to a soft diet "brat". Bananas, rice, apple sauce, toast. Also scrambled eggs and soup.
Great choice! I eat rice everyday and it normally makes my stomach 'feels good' but during my flare, I find it abit painful to digest a few hours after consuming it :(

I haven't tried Boost, and the dietitian used the product name 'Ensure', so I don't know if they are interchangeable. If you go to the Ensure website, you can get coupons to use when buying it. When you use the coupon, they will send you more.

If I can get it down, I also drink clear broths, chicken, beef or vegetable broth, homemade or organic broth products that I found at Costco. Then I progress to homemade vegetable with meat soups that I put through the blender. Also cooked eggs.Baby steps to build back up to a full diet.

I, too, found rice hard on my stomach during a flare or recovering from a flare. I now rely on bananas, sweet potato and baked squash for my starch intake. No rice, grains, milk products or legumes. Basically it's called the Paleo diet.

Great choice! I eat rice everyday and it normally makes my stomach 'feels good' but during my flare, I find it abit painful to digest a few hours after consuming it :(
My wife has pretty bad Crohn's and I have moderate UC. We'll switch to the "white" diet for a flare: white potatoes, white rice, white toast - as others have said, all mild foods. One critical thing with the rice is to use white, not brown rice, and to cook it very well. But if it still gives you trouble, I would skip it.

I normally take a probiotic (which helps me a lot) and during a flare I'll supplement that with yogurt.

My wife has pretty bad Crohn's and I have moderate UC. We'll switch to the "white" diet for a flare: white potatoes, white rice, white toast - as others have said, all mild foods. One critical thing with the rice is to use white, not brown rice, and to cook it very well. But if it still gives you trouble, I would skip it.

I normally take a probiotic (which helps me a lot) and during a flare I'll supplement that with yogurt.

"White" diet works for me as well. For probiotic, I have Autivia yogurt that is probiotic yogurt, is that like the same thing? :)