• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food Help

Hi all

The time has come where I really need to look at my diet to try and feel better and get a grip on my symptoms

I have spent so many hours trawling the internet for the best diets, foods to avoid, foods to eat, when and what to eat ect ect and it is so confusing.

I also have a family with young children, wife ect so it is not always easy to separate foods/cooking to suit everybody in the house.

Is there any websites or good clear books that I should be looking at?

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Hi n00b,
I would start a food and symptom diary over the next few weeks and try and look at what foods are causing you trouble. It is worth it when your looking back and you can actually see what foods are causing some of your trouble.
I suggest looking at more healthy anti-inflammatory foods (if tolerated) and slowly incorperate these in to your diet and cut the food out that is causing you symptoms.
It does take time and EFFORT especially when you have little ones to look after but think of it as your looking after yourself more to look after them. You can't pour from an empty cup. Good luck.

It all depends on where you are in terms of health and what is available to you.....

I'd start with Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet.....

Bowel Disorders, Part I: About Gut Disease
“In our view, various dietary and nutritional tactics are critical, with toxin elimination and vitamin D normalization among the most important steps. Most medical treatments are likely to be ineffective if the diet is bad.”
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/ulcerative-colitis-a-devastating-gut-disease/
Bowel Disease, Part II: Healing the Gut By Eliminating Food Toxins
Summary of Toxic Foods to Eliminate or Avoid
"In short, bowel disease patients should eliminate toxic foods from their diet:
.”
replace with....
" -Healthful plant foods are the safe starches, such as white rice, taro, sweet potatoes and yams, and fruits and berries.
-Saturated-fat rich oils and fats, like beef tallow, clarified butter, coconut oil, palm oil, cocoa butter (yes, chocolate desserts are healthy!), along with modest quantities of olive oil and lard. Make homemade salad dressings with these oils, rather than buying supermarket dressings made with soybean or canola oil.
-Further balance the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio by eating low-omega-6 meats, such as the red meats (beef and lamb) and seafood, and eating 1 lb per week salmon or sardines for fresh omega-3 fats
."
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/0...i-healing-the-gut-by-eliminating-food-toxins/
Bowel Disease, Part III: Healing Through Nutrition
Summary
Although not a complete list of the vitamins and minerals which may be helpful to bowel disease patients, these are among the most important – and most often overlooked:”
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/0...iii-healing-through-nutrition/.ugh-nutrition/
Bowel Disease, Part IV: Restoring Healthful Gut Flora
“Conclusion
Fecal transplants are the best probiotic. Tactics to disrupt pathogenic biofilms can assist probiotics in bringing about re-colonization of the digestive tract by commensal bacteria.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/bowel-disease-part-iv-restoring-healthful-gut-flora/

I find nutritionfacts.org is a useful too for all sorts of diet tips. Here is a short video that I found to be very eye opening from the site... https://nutritionfacts.org/video/achieving-remission-of-crohns-disease/
"I agree that the 'semi-vegetarian diet' appears to be beneficial but i would suggest that this has nothing to do with it's 'vegetarianism' and is wholly to do with it's 'paleoism'.
In fact the whole study does NOTHING BUT RECOMMEND a paleo/real food diet (with or without meat)

Lifestyle-related disease in Crohn’s disease: Relapse prevention by a semi-vegetarian diet

The study has been framed to deliberately mislead.
For the purpose of this study the 'semi-vegetarians' (from the links in the original study [20-30]) refrained from sugar[20,23,24], carbohydrates[21], fast foods[24], cola,chewing gum and chocolate[25], western foods (bread for breakfast, butter, margarine, cheese, meats, and ham and sausage)[27], and were encouraged to eat more fruit and vegetables.
'Omnivores' were those who did not stick to the diet, either by eating more meat or by eating anything else on the restricted list (sugar, bread, chewing gum?).

If they had any interest in being honest then the groups would have been called 'Real food' and 'crap food'

The study did show that a real 'food diet' is superior to a 'crap food' diet for maintaining remission, and this is of interest to anyone struggling with Paleo/SCD, as it also indicates that rice might be a safe carb. (but i'd go with white over brown)

Aside from the obvious deception of the title (SVD bearing little relevance to the diet, and 'omnivore' bearing little relevance to those who fail to adhere to the diet), the whole study is an exercise in bad science.
It starts with an aim and sets out to support that aim by avoiding any attempt to question it and using lots of bogus references to make itself look sciency.
I'm just going to pick through it if anyone hasn't tuned out yet....."

and my conclusion 9read the post to see why)...
"“it is reasonable to conclude that the SVD real traditional food diet protected patients from relapse but an omnivorous any old shit diet did not.”
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=59617&highlight=semi-vegetarian

The one thing you should eliminate no matter what diet you choose is added sugars. There is nothing worse for your gut biome than sugar. I personally always recommend the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (Book is Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall). The problem is the diet goes in phases and pretty restrictive so people don't really want to follow it. But if you're serious, I can't recommend it enough.

Hmmmm, my grumpiness is a bit obvious from my previous post.....

I'll try again,
I think the SVD diet recommended by the link to nutritionfacts.org posted by cmack is an excellent dietary starting point.

I think it is pretty important to look at the actual diet used to maintain remission rather than make assumptions based on the catchy name.

As well as limiting meat consumption the SVD removes a whole heap of vegetarian foods that are more likely to be causing problems...

- 'semi-vegetarians' (from the links in the original study [20-30]) refrained from sugar[20,23,24], carbohydrates[21], fast foods[24], cola,chewing gum and chocolate[25], western foods (bread for breakfast, butter, margarine, cheese, meats, and ham and sausage)[27], and were encouraged to eat more fruit and vegetables.

Good luck

Lynda Lynda

The one thing you should eliminate no matter what diet you choose is added sugars. There is nothing worse for your gut biome than sugar. I personally always recommend the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (Book is Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall). The problem is the diet goes in phases and pretty restrictive so people don't really want to follow it. But if you're serious, I can't recommend it enough.
But sugar is my favorite "food group." 😄

I never thought I would be craving a salad ! I have not been able to tolerate raw fruits and vegetables for years now. But help is in the way and I hope this 6mp pill and Humira will help my gut so I can start eating healthy. Right now I can only tolerate liquids.

Lynda🌻

Lynda Lynda

Hugh, thanks for contributing. You always come through with some great ideas and suggestions and resources for us here.

Lynda 🌷