• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food intolerance question/help please

Hi everyone! Hope this finds everyone feeling well and in good spirits tonight😊.

I need advice on food intolerance. Have been eating a fairly restricted Paleo diet for the last 6 months. I have been pounding avocados, bananas, almond flour, pork etc. started having increased joint pain, palpitations, etc. Think I am having increased histamine response to these high histamine foods on the Paleo diet. I tried rice, got horrible joint pain. Know all grains are off the Paleo, but want to get back to a somewhat normal life style. Curious about the histamine thing because I reacted highly to histamine when I had a skin prick test for food and environmental allergies.

Any advice?? I'm at the end of my rope. Please and thanks for any support!

Hey, there.

So, you're eating a restricted paleo diet that contains foods with high histamines? I would suggest you try the autoimmune paleo diet. It removes all possible food allergens (on average), and I will warn you, it is very strict. But it also will help you sort out what triggers your symptoms, and what doesn't.

Additional info that might help: The longer food is left or stored, the higher the histamine levels get. So eat things at peak freshness for the lowest histamine level. Fresh meat contains very little histamine, but if it's processed (like ground beef), it takes times, thus maturing the meat (making it older), and increasing histamine levels. This applies to fish as well.

I hope this helps!

Hi Autumn Rose,

Thank you for your response. I was on the auto immune version of Paleo for a couple of months. I was reacting to the histamine in those foods I believe. Things seem to be calming down a bit since I have cut way back on those trigger foods and not eating 3 bananas a day:D Thanks so much for your feedback.