• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food Sensitivities

Hey all,

I've suspected for a while that I have a soy allergy or intolerance. Last week an allergist ruled out a soy allergy, but I did show some sensitivity on the skin test, and also was sensitive to corn, rice and peanuts. Has anyone seen a decrease in their symptoms by avoiding foods they've been medically proven to be "sensitive" to? I'm at least trying to cut out soy entirely since I know whole soy beans give me intense cramps and make me vomit. I'm assuming that means I have an intolerance on top of the sensitivity.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on whether I should also try to cut out the other sensitive foods. Seems like if a skin prick of the stuff causes irritation that digestion would too, but I'm no expert on the subject.

I still don't have an accurate diagnosis... should have pill cam results tomorrow or Monday. It's plausible that I only have food intolerance(s) going on and that your IBD experiences aren't relavent to my ailment, but hey, you poop painfully a lot, I poop painfully a lot... maybe you have some insight. ;)

ho lorraine,over the past 2-3 years ive been very intolerant to cheese,i used to eat it every day and now as sonn as i eat it im running like an olympic sprinter to the loo.its a bummer lol as i miss cheeseburgers and pizza now

Hello Lorraine! I have not been tested for food sensitivities myself, because I don't seem to have any.

But a very close friend of mine is allergic to "everything" and I mean "everything."

What happened to him with apples, which is something he is allergic to. Is that he stayed away from them for 6 months and then reintroduced them in a very minuscule amount, I think at first he just had literally a mouthful of apple.

Over a period of months, he has gradually increased the amount of apple he is eating, by one mouthful a week (very gradual) and has been okay! Touch wood.

I think the body can definitely become more tolerate of foods when it is given a rest, because before the 6 month rest, even a tiny amount of apple would have made Nav's tongue swell and his throat constrict.

I hope this helps chick!

xxx

Hello lorraine
I am very aware of the reaction I get from foods, the good, the bad and the ugly. And YES the symptoms decrease when I practice avoidance. Soy, corn and peanuts will be found in just about everything commercially prepared so you will be getting it from multiple sources. Check ALL your labels and check out all the different names that corn can be called. As I have discovered there are substitutes for just about everything, with trial and error you will find your happy place. Keep a food journal, I broke mine into all food groups and high, med and low responses. Did not try high response foods for at least three months and then only in small amounts. Some improved some didn't.