• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food?

Hi Everyone,
What are some foods that work for you? What does a day of food look like for you? I’m having to be very careful with what food I eat, glares are coming more often and so I’m assuming surgery could be my next step, but in the meantime I would like to know what food works ok for your stomach.

Scipio

Food (in)tolerance varies a lot from person to person. Crohn's folks here report many diffrent trigger foods and acceptable foods. For me diet doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I haven't been able to associate any particular food or type of food with worsening or improving disease. So except for maybe trying harder to eat a generally healthy and balanced diet, I eat more or less the same things I did before I was diagnosed with Crohn's.

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you looked at cded diet ?
It has a list of foods that are less likely to cause issues
My kiddo did it for a bit
Stopped since it didn’t fix everything but
He does eat a lot of the foods on the list
Just does not exclude other foods

Last edited:
Food (in)tolerance varies a lot from person to person. Crohn's folks here report many diffrent trigger foods and acceptable foods. For me diet doesn't seems to make much of a difference. I haven't been able to associate any particular food or type of food with worsening or improving disease. So except for maybe trying harder to eat a generally healthy and balanced diet, I eat more or less the same things I did before I was diagnosed with Crohn's.
I’m finding the same, the actual foods don’t make too much of a difference, but I do find smaller meals, lots of water are important for me staying well. I’m also realizing low sleep is a very big trigger.

my little penguin

Staff member

I agree with the above. For me I exclude certain dairy products (not all but the high lactose ones for sure but lactose intolerance runs in my family so may have nothing to do with Crohn's) and gluten (which bothered me before Crohn's so not really Crohn's related- my intolerance has to do with a genetic condition I have) and make sure to cook with healthier oils (avocado and olive) and limit intake of high fat and sugary foods but do not exclude them completely- mostly I save them for the holidays and other special occasions though. During a flare acidic and spicy foods may aggravate active ulcers so be careful with those when unwell. Basically small, well balanced meals is what you want to go for. I stick mainly to cooked veggies when my stomach is sensitive but have more lenience to enjoy fresh fruit and veggies when I am doing well. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Sausages fried food and potatoes are my worst, some fruit some veg too.

Main thing I eat over and over is cod rice peas and carrots.

Brown rice brown bread would mess me up white rice white bread no problem, so fiber is a concern.

I'm fine with all meats and dairy minus Sausages.

Been to India and China, China was hard with food, ended up using McDonald's.

India the food actually very surprising made me feel really good, all then herbs and spices, no idea what they did but my crohns seamed to like it, so long as I dodge the onions.

I have taken so many years figuring out my intolerance and dodgy foods. Basically anything healthy will make me flare unfortunately. Fruit and veg is my biggest no no apart from potatoes and onions and small amounts of very well washed lettace and tomato sauces. I am lactose intolerant but I take lactase enzyme pills so I can eat as much as I want now. Without those it was hell trying to figure out what to eat, no fruit, veg, lactose.. and I don't eat fish (just have a weird thing with fish for some reason). Caffeine is very reactive for me too.
So my diet is actually very unhealthy, and processed but after all these years It is the Only reason I am in remission (even with meds).
I miss tenderstem broccoli, Brussels and cherries like mad, but just the thought of the obstructions they cause makes my stomach hurt thinking about eating them now.
I now don't snack, ever. I have lunch and dinner. And I drink only water. Nothing else now. I have days where I don't eat much, I'll just not fancy it (I think its psychological) and days where I feel constantly hungry. But I never eat huge meals anymore as it does make me suffer.
I have noticed I am getting abit dodgy with pork now, bacon I seem to be fine. But chops or even sausages and especially pork belly are starting to disagree now.
It is a hard way to learn, but I made diaries and started from fodmap (kicked me off) and then went to what I think is OK and every week Introduce what I thought is OK and just kept building it up until I knew what I introduced was reacting or not.