• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

For those born between the 1930s-1979

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
"You may have been raised on bologna sandwiches, biscuits & gravy, fried potatoes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Campbell's Soup, and meatloaf. You probably played in the dirt (even ate some); got your butt busted (spanked); had a few TV channels and no remote. In school, you started the day with "The Pledge," listened to your teachers, and if you got in trouble at school, you got in trouble at home as well. Your parents weren't afraid to let you play outside all day, and you did. If you got hurt, you picked yourself up and continued to play. You rode your bike all day without a helmet, and rode in the back of pickup trucks. You played in the creek, swam in real lakes, and drank water from a hose. You were expected to sit at the table for meals with the family, and you had a bedtime. What the heck! You turned out fine!"

This isn't my creation. My father's family recently had a family reunion which I wasn't able to attend. My sister who attended with her family e-mailed me a copy of this. It was posted somewhere during the reunion. I got a kick out of it. I think I can relate to everything on here except getting in trouble in school. I was a good kid in school. LOL! Feel free to add to the list.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I have seen various versions of these...aren't they fab!

With two teenage children I love this one as well...

RULE 1
Life is not fair - get used to it.

RULE 2
The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world
will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel
good about yourself.

RULE 3
You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out
of high school. You won't be a vice president with
car phone, until you earn both.

RULE 4
If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a
boss. He doesn't have tenure.

RULE 5
Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
grandparents had a different word for burger flipping
they called it Opportunity.

RULE 6
If you mess up,it's not your parents' fault, so don't
whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

RULE 7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as
they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about
how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest
from the parasites of your parent's generation, try
delousing the closet in your own room.

RULE 8
Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life has not. In some schools they have abolished
failing grades and they'll give you as many times as
you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the
slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

RULE 9
Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get
summers off and very few employers are interested in
helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

RULE 10
Television is NOT real life. In real life people
actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

RULE 11
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for
one.

Dusty. :)

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I love it Dusty! I've seen several versions of these as well. Sadly, my kids will not know the life that I did. I live in the city where you have to be careful of weirdos.

I was born in 1990, in a very small town. Most of the things on that first list, I did. actually, all of them haha. My parents hit me when I deserved it, we had very little money most of the time, and family has, and always will be, very important. I didn't have a computer, cell phone, fancy toys.. Most of the time we didn't even have cable or a home phone. Sometimes we didn't have electricity! (like I said, we were very poor haha) But I really appreciate having grown up like that. Now I appreciate the things I have, and I appreciate it even more because I did it all on my own. I started working at 13 (not including babysitting, which I started when I was 9) and I moved out at 16. I have never had to ask my parents for anything. Not that they would have it anyways lol.

These are funny though, I've read a few of them. Kids these days don't know how good it was before video games and internet. Back when the best thing to do on a hot summer day was going down to the creek and catching frogs. Or building a fort in the woods. I miss being a kid haha

Nyx

I think I posted this here before, but it's worth repeating:

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers
Who smoked and/or drank while they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,
Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,
We would ride in cars with no car seats,
No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day
Was always a special treat.

We drank water
>From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,
From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.
We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And, we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able
To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
And then ride them down the hill, only to find out
We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.
There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
No cell phones,
No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,
And the worms did not live in us
Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen,
We did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal
With disappointment.
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years
Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others
who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the
lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives
for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know
how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house
with scissors, doesn't it ?

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Samantha, you are by no means excluded. You were raised by parents who grew up in that era. You share their values and fortitude. I'm not saying the young people today lack that. In some ways, I think they have it worse. The world is just different.

Crohn's Mom

Here's one I got from my doctors office today. He has a stack of copies available for the patients to take one home :lol: Ironic that you started this thread Andi :lol:

What Is "Generation Y"

People born before 1946 were called The Silent Generation

The Baby Boomers were those born between 1947 and 1959

Generation X people were born between 1960 and 1979

Generation Y were born between 1980 and 2010

Why do we call the last group Generation Y ?

Y should I get a job?

Y should I leave home and find my own place?

Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours ?

Y should I clean my room?

Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?

Y should I buy any food ?

A cartoonist explained it very eloquently below :

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Oh my gosh! How funny!! My sisters, brother, and I would all belong to gen X: 1967, 1969, 1970, and 1972 (yours truly :) )

I totally disagree with, "The Silent Generation, " at least in my mother-in-law's case. She is of that generation, and is anything but silent!

"You may have been raised on bologna sandwiches, biscuits & gravy, fried potatoes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Campbell's Soup, and meatloaf. You probably played in the dirt (even ate some); got your butt busted (spanked); had a few TV channels and no remote. In school, you started the day with "The Pledge," listened to your teachers, and if you got in trouble at school, you got in trouble at home as well. Your parents weren't afraid to let you play outside all day, and you did. If you got hurt, you picked yourself up and continued to play. You rode your bike all day without a helmet, and rode in the back of pickup trucks. You played in the creek, swam in real lakes, and drank water from a hose. You were expected to sit at the table for meals with the family, and you had a bedtime. What the heck! You turned out fine!"

This isn't my creation. My father's family recently had a family reunion which I wasn't able to attend. My sister who attended with her family e-mailed me a copy of this. It was posted somewhere during the reunion. I got a kick out of it. I think I can relate to everything on here except getting in trouble in school. I was a good kid in school. LOL! Feel free to add to the list.
OMG, that was my childhood, throw in being one of the original Sesame Street watchers, was born in 1970.....
Sorry you missed your reunion, I've missed a few get togethers with my husbands familly the last few months, never thought I'd miss my inlaws, LOL
My familly visit me so I never miss them for very long, I am very lucky, I had no idea just how much my brothers cared untill I got sick I always thought they both hated me, then this hit me and both brothers are on the phone everyday, "I'm so glad you didn' t die Penny" I almost died - theres something I never thought I'd say LOL
Anyways, I hope you get all better and never miss another familly reunion.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thank you WhatTheHeck...! I was born in 1972, so like you, I remember watching the original Sesame Streets. The neighbor girl and I both ate dirt once. OMG! I'm sure that is not how I got Crohn's though. LOL! My brother and his friends used to build forts, and my friends and I always found ways to crash them. I was bratty. LOL! Randy and his friends would get even with us girls after big snow falls. They'd white wash us. I'd threaten to tell daddy, and he'd bribe me with candy. Those were the days! I do have some very good memories of my childhood. I feel bad that so much of the innocence is gone in this day and age. My brother also was unable to attend the reunion. He also wants to go to the next one. My father's family is VERY large. There were close to 200 people in attendance; tons of food; photos; and they even played carnival type games. My father won the watermelon eating contest. I missed out! They would like to have another one in another five years. My kids will be bigger, so maybe I can join in then. The kids will definitely have more fun. Thank you for thinking of me. :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I can relate to all of the above in the OP (was born in 1982 though) yet I did not turn out fine.