• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fortisip for weight gain

Anyone tried this drink.

I have just met a person yesterday with a bowel disorder and it helped
him gain weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortisip

Fortisip is often useful to reduce the amount of weight loss in people with cancer, helping them build up their strength and withstand the effects of the cancer and its treatment.
Ive ordered some at the chemist, which i will try to stem my weight loss.

I have been told if you get a prescription for it, it costs less, as its about
$3.95 AUD per 200ml bottle.

Sounds very similar to Ensure Plus (heavier calorie Ensure with more protein), it has no lactose, but says if you cannot metabolize galactose it could be problematic. All I know of galactose is it's similar to lactose, and it's also in milk. I think it's similar enough that many who are lactose intollerant are also sensitive to galactose. Here's some info on it I googled:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=3534

B

Babe123

simo98088 said:
Anyone tried this drink.

I have just met a person yesterday with a bowel disorder and it helped
him gain weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortisip

Ive ordered some at the chemist, which i will try to stem my weight loss.

I have been told if you get a prescription for it, it costs less, as its about
$3.95 AUD per 200ml bottle.
ive had fortisip before.. when i stopped eating for a while. are you having the juice or the milkshakes?

the juice does leave a strange aftertaste in your mouth.. i warn you..:)
x

Well, what I meant to say was the link you provided appears to be similar to "Ensure Plus", which is a good supplement for a calorie bump with decent protein (has more protein per ml. than milk, but no lactose, and extra nutrition)....as far as it being superior or inferior, there's not much difference on the major aspects, so it comes down to price and for some people, taste.

If you are fine with lactose, I'd assume you're okay with galactose, but I suppose it's possible, but unlikely, to be irritated by it but not lactose. Galactose is a part of lactose, so if lactose is fine, I'd assume galactose is too. Think of that like this: A person is fine with cheese sandwiches, and is curious if cheese would bother him. The assumption, by logic, is that if he could eat the sandwich, the cheese is fine. :)

C

catfud

Just started to try the ensure stuff myself today, I can't quite tell if it grumbles my tummy or not yet. I definately need something to bulk up my weight!

I got 6 bottles of the chocalate milk one comin today, so I'll bang some down
give it a few hours then post how they were..

Yeah ive heard that, I actually got a mate who has Gastropereses (spellin)
And during a period of time he has been living on just them,
he drinks about 6-8 a DAY every couple of hours.
He lost about 20 kg's and this has helped him put the weight back on.

He said drink them slow and no more then one at a time otherwise you will be vomiting.

Well, at 8 a day, 300 calories, I'd still be just maintaining my weight, that's 2400 cals. If I was to use just them when I was putting on muscle, I'd have to drink about 12 a day to overcome my metabolism. I have a higher threshold for crappy tastes, though. Most of what I downed in protein drinks made my gf gag. The Ensure plus are fine to me.

Well im downing the Chocalate Fortisip now and it tastes good.

Looking at the ingredients you would think a weight gainer protein powder would be just as good?
What do you reckon BWS?

Fortisip does have good minerals and trace elelments though.

Weight gainers are hit or miss, some are just loaded with sugar, and others are higher quality with slower carbs. Many have vitamins.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Elemental 028 is made by SHS Limited here in the UK

It isnt used much in the US but its a pre broken down nutritional supplement that gets absorbed in the first metre of your small bowel so you get the nutritients you need and the rest of your gut has a rest and time to recover and heal.

There is another thread on the food section on it which I have posted on. Will try to find it..

Simo if you scroll back through the threads that have elemental in the title you will see other posts. They are several pages back and I dont know how to post the link here for them..

Other than that feel free to PM me and I will help any way I can with info ok?

Their website is www.shs-nutrition.com

Look for Elemental 028 Extra and you will get the run down. I was put on it by my gastro and dietetic teams working together who worked out my needs and monitored me. Its hard work because you eat absolutely nothing at all and are down to hot and cold mineral water to drink NOTHING ELSE if you do it totally right. It did help me immensely and I still use the drinks at some point in my week when I cant manage to eat.

Last edited:
soupdragon69 said:
Elemental 028 is made by SHS Limited here in the UK

It isnt used much in the US but its a pre broken down nutritional supplement that gets absorbed in the first metre of your small bowel so you get the nutritients you need and the rest of your gut has a rest and time to recover and heal.

There is another thread on the food section on it which I have posted on. Will try to find it..

Simo if you scroll back through the threads that have elemental in the title you will see other posts. They are several pages back and I dont know how to post the link here for them..

Other than that feel free to PM me and I will help any way I can with info ok?

Their website is www.shs-nutrition.com

Look for Elemental 028 Extra and you will get the run down. I was put on it by my gastro and dietetic teams working together who worked out my needs and monitored me. Its hard work because you eat absolutely nothing at all and are down to hot and cold mineral water to drink NOTHING ELSE if you do it totally right. It did help me immensely and I still use the drinks at some point in my week when I cant manage to eat.
Checked it out, and it looks really good. I'll have to see if its available in Australia here anywhere.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Would be interested to see how you get on with a supplier where you are out of curiosity and also if you do try them what you think.

Be warned - like all supplemental drinks they are an aquired taste Simo but having seen the website you can probably see why I go for them over anything else in relation to Crohns supplements eh?

Dietitians said it must be the 028 EXTRA not ordinary due to the extra boost of supplements in it. You also need to introduce it gradually over a few days (2-4) so you dont end up with diahorrea due to the massive change in diet intake. Your poo might turn green as well as it diminishes in volume and thats normal!!!

Best taken cold from the fridge in the carton or made up with ice cold water. My best flavours are orange, citrus, lemon and lime in powder sachets you make up. Orange and Pineapple cartons that are premade.

Glad I could help. Hope you pick up soon. Like I said feel free to PM me if I can help any other way ok?

Last edited: