• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Found article from cdc on birthcontrol and ibd wanted to share

CDC has contraception advice for some ill women
by Mike Stobbe
ATLANTA - U.S. health officials have for the first time released contraception safety guidelines for more than 1 million women who have had weight-loss surgery or have certain medical conditions.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, released Friday, say it's safe for women with medical conditions to use most contraceptives.

But the CDC issued some warnings, including some concerning birth control pills, the most popular form of contraception for American women. The pill may be less effective for women who have had one kind of weight-loss surgery because the procedure may leave them less able to absorb the active ingredient.

Another warning: Some women with inflammatory bowel disease have a higher risk of blood clots. Those women generally should not use the estrogen-containing form of the pill, which may further increase their risk.

The CDC borrowed from international guidelines, but also wrote new advice for women with certain conditions more common in the United States, such as inflammatory bowel disease and rheumatoid arthritis.

CDC officials say women should talk to their doctors with questions about contraception. Many doctors may have felt uncomfortable prescribing contraception to women with some of these conditions, said Dr. Herbert Peterson, a University of North Carolina professor of maternal and child health.

But the new guidelines should answer doctors' questions about potential risks from certain forms of birth control. That, in turn, may make it easier for more women to get birth control, added Peterson, who led a panel of experts that helped CDC write the guidelines.

-------

Hi Everyone,

I found this article and just wanted to share it with you.

I don't know if you are aware of this as well but I also learned this when I had my stroke 5 yrs. ago from all of the doctors (including the residents) who took care of me--- When an IBD pt. flares, their blood tends to become "sticky" because of the inflammation in their body thus, it is STRONGLY advisable for women to AVOID being on any type of hormonal birth control as it can cause the blood to clot faster. I had told them when I was admitted, that I don't take them b/c I had known about how dangerous this was from my GI and Gyn & I only use NFP because it is safer and won't interfere at all w/my Crohn's medication. They were relieved to hear this as my clot was 12" long on my brain and had hemorrhaged out. Had I been on the pill, I would have died per the one doctor who oversaw my case as I was in very bad shape in ICU.

Take care and have a pain free week. (((hugs))) Gutless Wonderwoman

Last edited:
Wow! Good to know!!

CDC has contraception advice for some ill women
by Mike Stobbe
ATLANTA - U.S. health officials have for the first time released contraception safety guidelines for more than 1 million women who have had weight-loss surgery or have certain medical conditions.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, released Friday, say it's safe for women with medical conditions to use most contraceptives.

But the CDC issued some warnings, including some concerning birth control pills, the most popular form of contraception for American women. The pill may be less effective for women who have had one kind of weight-loss surgery because the procedure may leave them less able to absorb the active ingredient.

Another warning: Some women with inflammatory bowel disease have a higher risk of blood clots. Those women generally should not use the estrogen-containing form of the pill, which may further increase their risk.

The CDC borrowed from international guidelines, but also wrote new advice for women with certain conditions more common in the United States, such as inflammatory bowel disease and rheumatoid arthritis.

CDC officials say women should talk to their doctors with questions about contraception. Many doctors may have felt uncomfortable prescribing contraception to women with some of these conditions, said Dr. Herbert Peterson, a University of North Carolina professor of maternal and child health.

But the new guidelines should answer doctors' questions about potential risks from certain forms of birth control. That, in turn, may make it easier for more women to get birth control, added Peterson, who led a panel of experts that helped CDC write the guidelines.

-------

Hi Everyone,

I found this article and just wanted to share it with you.

I don't know if you are aware of this as well but I also learned this when I had my stroke 5 yrs. ago from all of the doctors (including the residents) who took care of me--- When an IBD pt. flares, their blood tends to become "sticky" because of the inflammation in their body thus, it is STRONGLY advisable for women to AVOID being on any type of hormonal birth control as it can cause the blood to clot faster. I had told them when I was admitted, that I don't take them b/c I had known about how dangerous this was from my GI and Gyn & I only use NFP because it is safer and won't interfere at all w/my Crohn's medication. They were relieved to hear this as my clot was 12" long on my brain and had hemorrhaged out. Had I been on the pill, I would have died per the one doctor who oversaw my case as I was in very bad shape in ICU.

Take care and have a pain free week. (((hugs))) Gutless Wonderwoman

Hello Wonderwoman.

Thank you for sharing this!I do take the pill and recently started on Crohns meds, antibiotics, etc.. I skipped my last cycle so I wouldn't have to deal with that and recivery. But when I stopped taking them it took a few days for it to kick in, and it was very clotty (which is not normal for me at all!)
Best Wishes!!! GirlyGirl
Thank you so much for the info!