• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Found this little hole near my rectum. What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I pooped myself with out even knowing so I went in the shower to clean up and when I was washing my bum I felt something painful near my rectal area, it felt like a little hole. After the shower I tried to take a pic behind there and theres a little hole near my anus. wtf is that?!

Yup, sounds like a fistula. Treatment varies depending where it connects to and from, how long, how big, if it's connected to an abscess, etc. Probably best to see your GI and get it checked out. My son had an internal one found by CT scan and was put on heavy abx (also had an abscess) and was started on Remicade. About two weeks later everything was healed up and gone. I think he was lucky though.

What meds are you on?

Yup, sounds like a fistula. Treatment varies depending where it connects to and from, how long, how big, if it's connected to an abscess, etc. Probably best to see your GI and get it checked out. My son had an internal one found by CT scan and was put on heavy abx (also had an abscess) and was started on Remicade. About two weeks later everything was healed up and gone. I think he was lucky though.

What meds are you on?
Im on Apriso and mercaptopurine

Do go see your Dr. In the meantime, give up the tp and get some Tucks (nice for the arse wipes), they clean and soothe. I also do a final wipe with straight up Witch Hazel soaked tp, let air dry. It works for me, so far has kept the surgeon at bay.

not sure if this is worth noting but in the last two I been sick, runny noise, head ache, warm body aches so I been taking Motrin and anti biotics.

Sounds like a fistula to me too. Sorry you have to join this "club". It's not very fun. Lots of info in the fistula/abscess sub forum.

I find frequent sits baths help. Keeping area clean and dry to avoid skin irritation. I wear pads and pantiliners all the time to catch the drainage.

Sounds like you might have picked up a cold/flu bug, but do watch out for fevers/chills-could be an abscess and you would need to be checked immediately.

A call to the GI telling them it's a fistula should get you a priority appt. Hang in there. One day at a time...

A call to the GI telling them it's a fistula should get you a priority appt. Hang in there. One day at a time...
I just spoke to my GI and he told me DO NOT go to the emergency room and wait till monday to schedule an appointment with a rectal surgeon on tuesday. He said surgery is going to fix that up but ultimately the rectal surgeon will decide on tuesday.

Im like about to pass out from this news. What kind of surgery is associated with this sort of problem?

I don't know a ton about fistulas, so I'm probably no help. Check out the fistula section here in the forum and ask about surgery. Stay positive!

How are your 6MP levels? I only ask because if you've developed a fistula while on 6MP you might need some med tweaking.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Definitely check out at least a couple of doctors of the first one tries to push surgery. Depending on the fossils you may be able to try medication first, also many times with crohns patients they do not heal properly after surgery and that may cause more problems.

Do your research, that is the best advice I can give you.

im having a panic attack

Hi Amaze,

I'm going through the same thing just a little further along.
The fact that u don't feel well is probably a sign of an abscess or collection of bacteria. What anti-biotics are you on?
Is there pain when you sit?
Mine always felt like a welt sore swollen and tender.
Don't panic (even tho I know exactly how annoying that is when people say it) everything will be fine!

I had this surgery in November so I'm here if u want to help each other be survivors through it!

Crohns Disease-Diagnosed 2007

Hi Amaze,

I'm going through the same thing just a little further along.
The fact that u don't feel well is probably a sign of an abscess or collection of bacteria. What anti-biotics are you on?
Is there pain when you sit?
Mine always felt like a welt sore swollen and tender.
Don't panic (even tho I know exactly how annoying that is when people say it) everything will be fine!

I had this surgery in November so I'm here if u want to help each other be survivors through it!

Crohns Disease-Diagnosed 2007
PM'd

I got a better look at the hole today. Its red hole with purple around it. dang it.

Not sure if its worth mentioning but the hole is below my anus.

Last edited:
I just came back from the surgeon and he said I have ulcers and 2 fistulas, he noted I probably have more fistulas. He said he doesn't want to do surgery since I have crohns and it will just come back. He said he will talk to my GI and I have to see my GI this thursday. He also mentioned putting in setons but he didn't elaborate

Sorry to hear this, but at least you have some answers. And great that you got in to see a surgeon so fast. Healthcare is "free" in Canada, but I was initially told it would be an 8 month wait to get in to see a surgeon!

There are quite a few of us with setons here. If you do a search you will find lots of threads, or feel free to ask any questions you might have.

The fact that you developed fistulas tells me there is an active inflammation going on. Your meds will have to be changed to address this - there are few meds that many people had good results with: biologics and/or combo of antibiotics and biologics. Remicade, Humira are the biologics, Cypro is antibiotic. If you need a seton - do it! I had 3 and they helped in my fistula healing combined with Humira. Seton is really not a big deal -just a rubber string that helps drain all that infection out of fistula tract.

My surgeon said at least 8 weeks for "normal" people and bare minimum 12 weeks for Crohn's patients. A lot of people keep them longer as they do help. The goal of them is to keep the fistula tract open and draining to prevent abscesses and help it heal from the inside out.

I have now had mine for 1 month. I don't notice them at all. I can sit normally and my arse feels much better as there is less inflammation and no abscesses. I also had one fistulotomy where he cut it open to heal since it was close enough to the surface. that one is still healing and tender, but I can sit fine.

My surgeon said at least 8 weeks for "normal" people and bare minimum 12 weeks for Crohn's patients. A lot of people keep them longer as they do help. The goal of them is to keep the fistula tract open and draining to prevent abscesses and help it heal from the inside out.

I have now had mine for 1 month. I don't notice them at all. I can sit normally and my arse feels much better as there is less inflammation and no abscesses. I also had one fistulotomy where he cut it open to heal since it was close enough to the surface. that one is still healing and tender, but I can sit fine.
do they give you pain killers?

also, are you able to poop normal? is there any pain after pooping when you clean up?

sorry for all the questions.

No problem about the questions! Surgeons certainly aren't forthcoming with the info! I got Percocet after the surgery. I think the worst pain was from the one they cut open and less from the two they put setons in. After a week or so, I was just on regular Tylenol a few times a day.

No pain with pooping now. At first it wasn't too fun, but frequent sitz baths helped and I used a squirt bottle with warm water to help clean and patted dry instead of wiping. I do have to wear pads and pantiliners to catch the drainage, but I did before I had the setons placed.

My pain came from abccess, once the seton was put in, the pain and pressure went away. I was uncomfortable for about two weeks. After that, I only felt it when I sat and wiping after BM. I used baby wipes and hand held shower to clean. Balneol cream is great when cleaning and Calmoseptine is the best to stay dry. Lots of time spent in a tub - that helps in relaxing and cleaning. My first seton was in for 3 months -fistulatomy - did not heal well, second about 2 months -healed with Humira. Last one shrunk down to a pin hole and closed after one month with seton and MTX (methotrexate).

Status
Not open for further replies.