• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frightened of potential Crohn/Colitis

Hi All

I am written this post as we are basically enter into panic;
I have a six years old lovely daughter that 1,5 months ago had a bit of shinny blood in the stools. We initially worried, but as this didn't repeat during the next month approximately, we just thought that it would be a small fissure.
Meanwhile, she has been complaining about belly pain and has had some diarrhea that was gone with diet based on rice and clean food. As my other daughters also had diarrhea, we thought that it would be just a virus or similar, as all were kind of in the same situation.
The problem is that since 3 days, we can see, again, some shinny blood in the the stools. This has caused basically a huge amount of anxious, as I also have Crohn (dx 2 years ago and very mild as of today with no medication but confirmed in all colonospies, although will begin treatment soon) , and this is the first thing that comes to my mind now.

I have never had blood in this way in my stools, and I would like to as you for your opinion about the pictures of the stools. Please EXCUSE ME for the pictures. I dont want to hurt any sensitivity.I will immediately delete them it this is not allowed.
Is this the kind of blood that your kids begin to experience?

As an additional data, weight and appetite are ok.

Today we are taking her to the pediatrician to ask for an urgent appointment with GI and some bloodwork and calprotectin.

Again, please excuse for the pictures. If these are not allowed I will delete immediately.

Attachments

That's not a lot of blood, but some blood like that can happen with Crohn's. I'd be more concerned about the pale color in the second picture. Very pale stool can be a sign of liver problems.

Diarrhea and abdominal pain is consistent with Crohn's, but many other things could also cause those symptoms.

That's not a lot of blood, but some blood like that can happen with Crohn's. I'd be more concerned about the pale color in the second picture. Very pale stool can be a sign of liver problems.

Diarrhea and abdominal pain is consistent with Crohn's, but many other things could also cause those symptoms.
Thanx for your quick reply.
The stool is the same, so it was pale, but not as it looks in the second picture. Usually, actually, is not like this, although changes often

my little penguin

Staff member
Given she is six
Food coloring can change to color of stool alot
Crohns was never on our radar
Ds was dx at age 7 but sick since he was 2 weeks old
Didn’t have blood at all till the end right before dx and not much there
Getting stool tests is a good start and seeing a pediatric Gi since they handle liver stuff as well

it could be a blip
Seen this with my non ibd child more than once
His was due to severe lactose intolerance
We were worried it was Crohn’s

see the pediatrician and Gi then go from there

Calprotectin came back yesterday as <50 ( number is not specified when bellow 50)

We still see very small traces of blood.

The 14th will repeat the calprotectin in another lab that usually provides numeric even bellow 50 and they will also perform a blood check.

Any hits are more than welcome.

crohnsinct

The <50 in a six year old is very reassuring. Younger kids tend to have higher calpro even in non IBD kids.
I would still see a GI because abdo pain is still an issue and actually the number 1 complaint in pediatric practices. Perhaps she is extremely constipated and that is causing tiny fissures and the little bits of blood. Constipation can cause a lot of stomach pain and when it gets bad enough the hard stuff stops everything up to the point where only very liquid stool can come out so you might think it is diarrhea but the issue is actually constipation.

FWIW my daughter is an IBD bleeder and in our experience once she is inflammed enough to cause bleeding it doesn’t go away and only gets worse until properly treated.