• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

From aza to Lialda - A step in the wrong direction ?

I saw a new GI doctor today and he put me on Lialda 1.2 mg x 3 delayed release tablets and wants to taper me off the 150mg aza I'm currently taking. I really don't know much about Lialda but from what I've read this seems like a step down from my current med. Also I read it's for UC . I have Crohn's in the small intestine. I'm on my last week of prednisone but still am having flare symptoms. I'm scared the Lialda is not going to be enough. Please share your thoughts on the med change . I'm feeling confused. :confused2:

Hi, Zeppy,

Lialda is for UC and mild to moderate Crohn's.

I was on Lialda and had to stop taking it because it made things much worse. I was on it for less than two weeks.

I'm not saying that will be the case for you, of course! But the side effects include more or less everything you want it to stop.

I'm brand new to all of this, so I'm interested to hear about Aza. I see my GI next week, so I'm wondering if that's what he'll switch me to.

But I think Lialda can work -- at the very least it's supposed to.

Hi KyleV, Aza works great for lots of people but not for me. I've had 4 hospitalizations and am still flaring . I' ve been on it for about a year now so I guess it's time for me to try something else. I thought I'd be going on a biologic - idk. Anyway I had some flu like symptoms when I first started aza that lasted a couple of weeks then I didn't seem to have any side effects. I started at 50mg and increased to 150mg over a few months. I hope it works for you. Good Luck.

I would seriously question your GI as to why you're doing this. If Aza isn't working then slapping another label on mesalamine is not going to do anything.

I would seriously question your GI as to why you're doing this. If Aza isn't working then slapping another label on mesalamine is not going to do anything.
Pentesa was the first thing I was ever put on 4 years ago.It did not help at all. From what I can tell from reading about Lialda it seems to be in the same class of drugs as Pentesa. Is that correct ?

Pentasa and Liada are the same active drug, mesalamine. The variance is in where and how in the GI tract they are released.