• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

From Brazil, want to get on AMAT

I'm Brazilian and no doctors in my country prescribe AMAT.

I'm desperate for AMAT, and I have the means to travel to another country to get prescriptions for the antibiotics.

Can someone here show me how to contact Drs like Willian Chamberlin or Thomas Borody, and does someone here can tell me from experience how it is to be an overseas patient? Maybe I can put a willing Brazilian Dr in touch with an AMAT prescribing Dr, but I doubt it.

Borody's clinic does not accept any patients out of the country. It says on his website for the center of digestive diseases in australia.

Hi perfectjelly - I'm always about helping anyone who wants to try it get on AMAT soince it worked so well for me. The way I see it, if a patient has done the research and considered the options, and still wants to try AMAT, the risks really aren't that different from any other Crohn's therapy out there, but docs are hesitant about prescribing it. Trying to compile a private world wide list of docs who will at least consider it, and I first start with the RedHill trial sites. Unfortunately, in Brazil that doesn't help you. However, there was a study published just this summer about MAP in Crohn's patients from docs in Brazil! Here's the title and author info. I bet one of those docs would at least be able to point you in the right direction!

Sao Paulo Med J. 2015 Jul 3:0. [Epub ahead of print]
Presence of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis (MAP) in Brazilian patients with inflammatory bowel diseases and in controls.
Carvalho IA1, Schwarz DG2, Pietralonga PA2, Faria AC2, Braga IF2, Carvalho GD3, Valente FL2, Machado JP1, Guimarães LM4, Ferrari ML4, Silva Júnior A2, Moreira MA2.
Author information
1Veterinary Department, Universidade Federal de Viçosa, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
2Veterinary Department, Universidade Federal de Viçosa, Viçosa, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
3Veterinary Department, Instituto Federal do Norte de Minas, Salinas, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
4Medical School, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.

If you can get to the US, go to Dr. Chamberlin. He's in New Mexico. Here's his profile with contact info to the medical center where he works:

http://thecrohnsinfection.org/dr-william-m-chamberlin/

Really hope you find someone! It may be difficult, but keep looking up docs/researchers who wrote papers on MAP (even vets!) in your area. Best of luck friend.

Hi, perfectjelly. Just diagnosed myself and very interested in the anti-map treatment. What did you manage in the end? Would appreciate advice from a fellow Brazilian.