• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

From kid to adult

Great to finally start joining in on this forum. I've had IBD since I was 10 years old, although they suspect I had it earlier since I had erythema nodosum at diagnosis-usually a sign of years of flareups.

Anyway, the diagnosis then was UC. As a ten year old, it didn't really affect me. If you live with pain all your life, you don't know that its pain. But it affected my parents. I think they felt they were at blame and were bad parents because they couldn't take this away from me. I'm sure you parents on here understand that feeling. My parents obviously are great; they had no reason to feel this way.

For nine years, I went on 15 different medicines (can't even remember them all!) with long stints of prednisone, etc. None of it worked. Even remicade was a failure...well...let me clarify. I took it before it was FDA approved for UC. Thus, I only was given 3 injections before the insurance company pulled the plug on this therapy. I'm pretty sure insurance companies hate me! I'm a pretty expensive body!

Thus, come age 19, I withdrew from college to move 2000 miles back home and have a total colectomy. Hallelujah! That surgery was a miracle. Even 3 weeks after the surgery while I still had an ileostomy and was taking pain meds, I felt 1000 times better! And admittedly, a poop-bag on the side of your stomach is very convenient. I took four months to recover in which time I did my first 5k since again 10, climbed Mt. Hood and visited friends in New York! They reopened me to connect everything, remove the ileostomy and make an ileoanal reservoir (a fake large intestine using part of my ileum). I considered myself cured....

I graduated college, married my wonderful husband (for nonaffected husbands, my love got my heart by having "competitions" on who's number 2 had won...don't know what his rubric for grading was, but his humor always shows me love and acceptance.) and then got an abscess 4 months later. I called my GI doc who had me go to the ER. There, they diagnosed the abscess as a bartholin cyst. No biggy right? 2% of females get these in there lives and they should heal up quick. Well, after two years of this "bartholin cyst," my current OBGYN looked at is and says, "That's no bartholin cyst, that's a fistula. I think you have Crohn's."

So, as of Sept 17, I once again have IBD. For 5 years, I got to think I was cured, but no more. I now have fistulizing Crohn's with at least 2 fistulas and 1 abscess that drains. Apparently, this is not uncommon for patients with iloeanal reservoirs. They suspect they should have diagnosed me as Crohn's from the get go. I now am on Humira, which I'm still getting used to stabbing myself with a needle. I know I'm not a pin cushion like some people, but its still not fun.

As an adult, Crohn's is my disease while UC was my parents. I wasn't expecting to have this brought back in my life, but I believe it is how you approach your disease that defines your worth. I still feel 1000 times better than when I had UC. I'm blessed with an amazing husband who surprisingly is extremely cool with this all (well, minus the cetons threaded through fistulas down there....), and a motivation that I would never have had without my IBD. When I finish my master's I'm starting medical school in August to be...you got it!...A GI! I should get one acceptance letter today (at least I think so: my interviews went really well!), and am waiting on some more. Understandably I've had some great physicians influence my life.

Perhaps our disease is like Sisyphus, no end in sight. Or its like climbing to Mt. Hood' summit, where we will understand our full potential and reason for our disease. Until then, parents have hope for your children: their disease may be a blessing in disguise. And adults, may we all have courage to stay proud.

Hi there and firstly welcome. I'm new here too and its a great place to talk to people who you can relate to.

I read your story and felt sad because that is a lot to go through. However, your strength and determination to not let it effect you is amazing and an inspiration, and training to be a GI!!! that's fantastic.

I see what you mean about an illness being your parents, my Mum feels very upset at the fact i've got crohn's and that its somehow her fault, even though im 20 years old and obviously its not her fault! bless her.

Good luck with the training to be a GI...and make sure you keep us posted on how it goes!

Kelsea xx

rygon

wow after all that youre still sound a happy go lucky kinda person .. being ignorant but what is Mt hood (im from uk). So i guess you enjoy running. I havent done that in ages (too lazy lol.. more into kickboxing)

Good luck in yourself and your training

Thanks for the replies already. I should of joined this forum a lot sooner! While I am optimistic of my condition, most people usually don't understand what life with IBD is like. Its awesome knowing people here get it!

FYI: Mt. Hood is a mountain outside of Portland, Oregon. Growing up, it always represented my disease. I could never climb it because of "accidents" and anemia. While it's not the biggest mountain to climb and my disease is not the worst disease given to humanity, it still was a mountain I could never conquer. So after my first surgery, it understandably was the first accomplishment I had to complete. Climbing Mt. Hood was like beating IBD.

And for running, I just finished my first half-marathon on Oct 30 which was 10 days after two cetons were placed in. Some people might consider my determination a form of denial, but I'd rather see it as an inability to find my life as "limited." I'm hoping to complete my first marathon in April.

Still waiting on that acceptance letter, but I'll tell once I get it! Hope, Hope, Hope!

ps. Rygon, I love your profile picture!

Last edited:
I have been where you are now. I had UC since I was 8 or so. They were not sure, so did not start treatment till I was 15. After many medications and test they removed my colon and placed in a J-pouch. Since that surgery I was doing ok, alot less ABD pain, but still having some issues. Well then the BACK pain started and they all told me it was nothing. About one year ago was admitted for a blockage and they CT and a MRI to see where is was located. Well they started talking and said we think you might have Crohn's. The blockage cleared and many test were started. I was in suck pain and sick all the time, I was unable to function normal. They did some blood work that showed I had Crohn's so they did some NEW MRI to see how bad it was. Well they found that my J-pouch connected to my spine and I had some growth going into the spinal cord area. Many more test and 15 dr's they believed it was a Fistula. They had never seen one like this before, so had to no clue on how to handle it. They all decided it was best to remove the J-Pouch, since of the Crohn's. June 1st was removed and it was confirmed to be a fistula that was in my spinal cord area. On top of that they found I had a VERY small leak in my J-Pouch. I now have an ileostomy and a total rectum closure. When I went back for a follow-up they stated that all the test on the pouch and fistula showed NO signs of Crohn's or UC. So when I asked them what it was they said they are unsure and just going to monitor me. I feel a lot better now and am pretty healthy, just some pain, which they "THINK" is due to scar tissue.

Keep you head up and sounds like you have a great support system

I love that acronym LMPO "Laugh my pouch off". I hav swum it off it big waves but not yet laughed it off. Illestomy for last 10 years & I love being a Bag Lady - terrible pain of Crohns is all gone

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad that your husband is so supportive. Please keep us updated