• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated and Worried

So the story continues...

I've been itching for over a year. The first symptoms hit me in September 2010 (3 months after delivering my baby boy). It started in my genital area (thought it was something else...treated for everything). Then my scalp started itching (tried to treat that too). Next my arms, then legs then back all started itching....bad! I mean wake up in the middle of the night itching bad.

I've been to so many doctors (several in urgent care, then PCP, then Derm) and I've stumped all of them. The only thing that offered any relief was 40mg of prednisone (and we all know how awful that is!) My GI thinks that it is due to the biologics. So after 2 1/2 great years on Humira I reluctantly made the switch to Remicade. I've been on it for 2 1/2 months now and the itching hasn't stopped. I just got a call from my GI again today (she is amazing!) and now thinks that because it hasn't stopped that it might just be biologics in general. So now, she wants to to stop the Remicade and start 6MP. (I think I've been trying to stay away from 6MP for 2-6 years now).

I'm just so frustrated and worried and don't even know what to think. I'm worried I'm going to flare (Entocort seems to be the only thing keeping me from an all out flair right now). I'm not excited about having to take another new medication and especially something that I have to remember to take every day. I'm worried I'm not going to feel as good as the good times on Humira. Can I just decide to quit? I don't want to have Crohn's anymore. I'm done. I'm good - I don't need to experience all of the lovely surprises and awful sickness and pain anymore. This all just makes me so sad.:(

Try putting some apple cider vinegar on your skin and scalp (a tablespoon in water or straight up will also be good), may get rid of any bacteria or rash causing itching. Try it. I have found that a rinse of apple cider vinegar through the hair, then water rinse will help eliminate dandruff as well as any rashes. Vet also recommended it for the itching the dogs get now and then. Worth a try! Great at eliminating germs and bacteria!

Thanks Mickey. I've actually tried that and about a million other things it seems. We'll see what being off the biologics does. Another step in the journey but just so frustrating. Sometimes it's hard when there is no end in sight. :(