• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated -- any advice?

This thread is probably going to come off as pathetic and whiny. So I apologize for that. Only I think I needed to get these nagging thoughts off my chest, so I had to write it somewhere.

OK. So anyway, I'm kind of frustrated. Like, for the past year now, I've been flaring worse than normal, with ups and downs. But part of the reason everything is so frustrating is because I had to italicize "worse than normal" in the last sentence. I was thinking this week, I can't really remember the last time I was in a "real" remission. In other words, "normal" for me has become a state of flare rather than a state of remission. Now that I've actually been reflecting on it, I realized that I've been settling for less than remission since I was like, 13. My philosophy for dealing with this disease, and being productive in spite of it has basically been, "Suck it up and keep going. Sure, I don't feel perfect. But I still need to keep going..."

Only I'm beginning to wonder if that was the right philosophy to have all this time. For some reason, I had this idea stuck in my head for years that it was impossible to be normal. That a remission meant still being sick to some extent, and just dealing with it. But really, that's not the case, is it? I should be striving to feel as healthy as possible, and I haven't been.

Anyway, about this most recent spike in disease activity over the past year. It's been a weird ride. Last year around this time, the doc started trying to calm things down with antibiotics. Didn't work. Eventually I got sick enough that I'm pretty much the doc had me hospitalized for about a week, and put me on steroids. Which is good in high doses, but as I taper, I start to feel sick again. Also, it's pretty obvious by this point that the Remicade isn't doing its thing if I'm feeling this ill while I'm on it, and the doc decides to prescribe me Cimzia. So eventually I taper off the steroids, and I'm feeling crummy again, but crummy with restored functionality. This is me, settling for feeling less healthy than I should again, I suppose. I mean, I still feel sick, but at least I'm healthy enough to start doing stuff again. And my life goes on like this until like, the end of October. When I start to crash and burn again. I'm having a difficult time keeping up with my school work, and I'm in pain and crap. It's pretty obvious that the Cimzia isn't doing as much as it should be. The doc puts me back on steroids, and I'm back to where I was before. I spent the year going in a circle...

At my most recent appointment with my doc, I tried telling her that I don't think the Cimzia's working too great. My dad came with me, and he came right out and said in no uncertain terms, "I don't think it's done anything for you at all." And my doctor agreed. She said she didn't think it was doing much either. But she's actually added to the frustration now...She admitted that she didn't think it was doing much, but she didn't propose an alternative solution. Instead, she actually told me to start tapering off the prednisone next week. Argh. Why bother? I know that as I continue to taper off the pred, I'm gonna start feeling crummier and crummier. And then, after I've been off the pred completely long enough, I'm gonna start to crash and burn again. It's all so predictable. It's all just a farce. Why do I have to wash, rinse, and repeat to get to a point where my doc will actually do something useful? :S

And anyway, that's why I'm frustrated I guess. I've realized that I've been letting myself feel crummier than I should for entirely too long. But instead of things getting closer to that idealized remission, I'm still just walking in circles, hangin' out in limbo land. And it's annoying, because I want to actually feel healthy, entirely, rather than just going through this worse ---> mildly better ---> worse again cycle. I want to have energy to do stuff besides my school work for a while, instead of just telling myself to shut up and deal with it. And my doc doesn't seem to be doing anything to help me get there. And I guess I just don't know what to do. Or if I should bother wanting this "idealized remission". I mean, if I can function at a certain level, and I can, in fact, "shut up and deal with it," is that what I should do, or should I keep fighting to feel healthier? I guess even I don't know what I should be aiming for.

Thanks for reading all that, if you did. If you have any advice/ideas for me, I'd appreciate them. :)

Keep trying different treatments until something works. That is the key to the whole thing. You may have to go outside the realm of standard treatments.

Dan

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Wow you have been in a circle, I know you dont want to hear this but...maybe surgery is in your near future, I found that when nothing would work, it was time and glad I did it. Gave me a life for about 10years. That was my first one, and my second one, just couldnt control it either, then I tried VSL#3 and the odd antibiotic and I have been the best I could be. Could be an option, I know you dont want it but...10 years isnt a guarantee but even 5 would be a blessing for me. Rant all you want, I do it too, I think we all do, cause this disease is so unfair! Keep us posted!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Ahh Procyon...the vicious Crohn's cycle. I'm really sorry your stuck there at this moment. You feel like crap, yet are still able to function. But only function at doing the necessary things in life. All the fun, joyful things in life take too much energy??? Am I close to understanding where you are at??

It's such a rough place to be in...I had to go on antidepressants. My only advice is to do something that truly makes you happy, even if you feel like crap. I learned that I am going to feel like crap whether I'm sitting on the couch or out with friends etc...The distraction and laughter did help my spirits.
That's my advice. I'm really sad for you... I hope you can start to feel better soon.

I think I need to start taking that advice too Popcorn! It is hard tio get motivated when you feel 'like crap' and so I tend to keep to myself a lot as well. But I guess in the long run that doesn't help either. I don;t want to spend the rest of my life just 'getting by' with what needs to be done so shall start making an effort!
Sounds like there may be some things you can do to get to feeling better, so things should improve for you soon :)

Thanks for the support, everyone. I feel slightly better now that I've gotten it off my chest, at least. :)

Jettalady said:
Wow you have been in a circle, I know you dont want to hear this but...maybe surgery is in your near future, I found that when nothing would work, it was time and glad I did it. Gave me a life for about 10years. That was my first one, and my second one, just couldnt control it either, then I tried VSL#3 and the odd antibiotic and I have been the best I could be. Could be an option, I know you dont want it but...10 years isnt a guarantee but even 5 would be a blessing for me. Rant all you want, I do it too, I think we all do, cause this disease is so unfair! Keep us posted!
Having a several year remission does sound like a nice breather... But I'm just not ready to let myself go the surg route yet. My doc and fam would have to spend some time convincing me before I surrender. XD

imisspopcorn said:
Ahh Procyon...the vicious Crohn's cycle. I'm really sorry your stuck there at this moment. You feel like crap, yet are still able to function. But only function at doing the necessary things in life. All the fun, joyful things in life take too much energy??? Am I close to understanding where you are at??
Yes! That pretty much sums things up. I've also been on antidepressants for several years now, so I know where you're coming from in that regard. And you're advice is really great, I've actually been taking it to heart the past several days, and it has made me feel a bit better. It's very wise advice. :)

Sorry if you feel your standards were lowered unintentionally, Pro, but it's not like you meant to let yourself get stuck in a mental rut. :)

I don't think you should settle, you should, if you haven't been shown it's impossible to achieve, seek full "remission", which is generally considered the absence of symptoms. There's no need to settle just because you can make do being "sort of better".

I'd bring up the whole idea of "being better" to your GI and see what they say, assertively ask that they work on some path to finding "an absence of symptoms". If they refuse to help you get there or give you a legit reason on why you literally "can't" then it could be time to consider a new GI.

Best of luck. :)

I'm so sorry to hear your story. THat is what really scares me. I just recently got diagnosed. Prednisone is workin\...I'm not sure if the other stuff is...I faught hard with colitis..lost my colon already. Stay strong.....Keep going...we are all here for you...Keep posting any updates...Sue