• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated with doctor

frustrated with doctor

Hi everyone,

So I had an appointment with my GI and he still thinks it's just IBS. When I was in the ER two weeks ago they prescribed me Bentyl for IBS and it did nothing. I just really don't think it's IBS. I looked at that chart that's on here that compared IBS and IBD and you don't lose your appetite or lose weight with IBS and I have lost 10 lbs so far and haven't had an appetite in weeks.

Either way, I have my colonoscopy tomorrow so I am keeping my fingers crossed it shows something as all my other tests have come back normal. And if I don't start getting better I am going to get a second opinion from another GI because I'm just really starting to get frustrated with my current one. I get the feeling he just doesn't really care or is not at all concerned about my ongoing symptoms. So, that's where I'm at right now, frustrated but hopeful for the colonoscopy tomorrow.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Lauren, I've been there & done that! I'm undiagnosed myself and have had several doctors tell me in the past that I've got IBS or that it's all in my head. But like you, I've experienced weight loss & no appetite - I've also had dehydration and some blood on the TP, which are all not in the diagnostic guidelines for IBS. And I've had every test come back normal as well, so I understand how you feel.

Please do get a second opinion regardless if the colonoscopy finds anything or not - it sounds like your doctor isn't very good if he's saying IBS and isn't willing to consider that this could be IBD. And you said yourself he doesn't seem to be concerned about your symptoms, so it sounds like you really do need a more understanding doctor.

Good luck with your colonoscopy tomorrow! I hope they find something - but don't get too bummed if they don't.

Goodluck Lauren.
Hope the scope provides some much needed answers. And by all means, let the doc know what's on your mind.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I agree with Cat. No matter the results of the scope, find another GI. Better to start now than later and have to wait longer ya know?

Hi Lauren, I lost 20 lbs before I was diagnosed with IBS. Everyone is different. Good luck with your scope. I hope you find a Dr. you are comfortable with.

Cat: I also had some bleeding and a fever, which I know is not typical of IBS, either. I'm not convinced it's IBS and I think after the colonoscopy I will find a new doc.

My GI went down the IBS route on my third appointment but has now changed his mind again as I responded so well to pred. Have you been on and meds for this yet? I had to plead with my GI to try me on it and within 3 days I felt almost normal again :)
I am still undiagnosed though my GI believes I do have CD
I hope tomorrow goes ok for you. I thought the colonoscopy was the easiest testout of all the ones Ive had so far but maybe that was because of the knockout drugs ;)
Take care of yourself and don't give up
Sam

No, he has not tried me on pred yet. He gave me an anti-spasmadic for IBS and it didn't do a thing. He said after the colonoscopy he wants to try a different medication (i'm assuming it will be for IBS). That's great pred worked so well and quickly for you. I forget what it is like to feel normal.

They have me on Bentyl and Benefiber. Did they suggest Benefiber? I know it sounds odd but it stops the 'd'. I guess you really have to wait for the results of the scope.

I'd forgotten too what it was like to be normal and doubted that I would ever feel like that again. But it is possible :)
If the colonoscopy doesn't show anything could you ask your GI to try you on a short, low dose of pred just to see? I was only on 20mg but it worked a treat. It's maybe worth a try
Sam

Lauren--- You poor thing. I hope the scope gives you much needed answers. But I also hope for your sake that its not CD. Thinking of you. I know how frustrating it is to just want to be BETTER. Praying that happens for you soon!