• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated

So I haven't been diagnosed with anything really as of yet. I am 34 years old and I have had problems with my stomach for a while but never anything super serious. When i was in high school and college I would have upset stomachs after eating any greasy or fatty foods etc. Once I got in my 30's my stomach has gotten upset a lot more frequently. The past two years I would eat and get sick at least a time or two weekly. It would go through bouts where it was a lot more frequent and occasionally i would be constipated as well in between the cycles.

In the past two months, I have had all types of symptoms that have begun in addition to increase in my upset stomach. I was diagnosed with GERD last December after a scope. In the past two months, I have had a fever on two separate occasions. I have had several bouts of painful urination and thought I was having a bladder infection and despite having blood in my urine it came back negative. I have had chronic fatigue and am just generally tired a lot of the time. I have never been a good sleeper and suffer from insomnia which I take medication for. I typically would sleep 6 to 7 hours at night on medications. I had about 2 weeks where i was sleeping 10 plus hours a night and still tired. I have had chronic inflammation in my head with cough and blocked sinuses as well as head congestion. I have had to decahedron shots which helped a few days but then my overall fatigue and achy feeling returned. I started with bilateral knee pain and it got so bad where i wanted to cry after standing up for a minute or more. I was ordered by my GI doctor to have a abdominal ultrasound and blood panel. I was also started on Xifaxan by my GI doctor which I took the whole two weeks. My medical doctor started my on prednisone which made my knee pain stop. It is starting to come back.

My ultrasound turned up okay and my gallbladder looks fine. My blood work came back fine except for an elevated c-reactive protein. I have continued to have an upset stomach and loose stool even since completing the Xifaxan. I have also been having mucus in my stool when going and sometimes mucus discharge when I don't use the bathroom. I have had blood in my stool a few times as well. I have a history of colon cancer in my family as my paternal grandmother passed from it at the age of 45. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for 9/20 to check for inflammatory bowel disease. I am just curious if anyone has had a similar experience or any thoughts. My best friend has Crohns disease and she has had similar problems to me. Any feedback would be helpful.

Scipio

Welcome. Some of your symptoms suggest that you could have Crohn's, but it is by no means certain at this point. You and your doctor will likely have a much better idea of what is going on after your colonoscopy. Good luck and keep us informed. We may have more or better advice when you have more information.

Hi Silverfrost, I agree with Scipio that the colonoscopy will give better insight into what is happening. Like you I was losing mucus and blood when visiting the bathroom, at times I'd go just to release mucus.
I had blood and stool tests that came back fine, but the colonoscopy showed I had ulcerative colitis, and after that diagnosis I got medication and for me this initially improved symptoms dramatically.
Hope you get some answers soon!