• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Functional Medicine - Crohns

Hello - I was wondering if anyone has gone the functional medicine route to deal with Crohn's. I will give a very brief synopsis of my story below and can obviously go in more detail.

I had a colonoscopy due to rare blood seen in stool (once a month). The GI doctor saw mild inflammation in terminal ileum and suspected Crohn's, took biopsy that did not confirm it, but still thinks I am dealing with a mild case. I have no major symptoms except minor occasional bloating and mucus in my stool. I have completely normal bowel movements once a day. He suggested a steroid and said I would be on medicine the rest of my life. I did not feel comfortable jumping to that conclusion so am trying the functional medicine route for now. After a couple of appointments and tests run, the Functional Medicine doctor thinks I have leaky gut and Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO). I am on a low fodmap gluten free diet for 4 weeks while taking Alicilin, Oil of Oregano, and Microb-X supplements (I think herbal medicine equivalent of antibiotics) to give the bad bacteria and strengthen my immune system. After that I am not sure what the course of action will be.

I wanted to get others similar experiences and hopefully success stories to walk this journey together. It is obviously particularly worrisome that there is inflammation in my small intestines and I don't notice and have no way of knowing if it is getting better or worse.

Thanks Ron. That is another concern of mine. What is the best way to go about checking this? The only place where Crohn's was seen was during a colonoscopy and my upper endoscopy, MR Enterography, and blood work all came back fine. Would it mean I have to get a colonoscopy again and if so how often do you think that would be?