• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Funky eye symptoms, updated!

Hi again,
Well, I met with the Opthalmologist for about 2 hours today. I found one that specializes in autoimmune disorders so she was a great source of info! She said it doesn't look like the flashing in my left eye is a Crohn's issue....yet. She said there is jellyish stuff near the retina and as we age, it sometimes changes shape and pulls at the retina as it is doing this. The flashes I see are the retina being pulled. It is not an issue unless I see constant flashing, like fireworks which indicates detachment of the retina. She also said she was looking for Crohn's-related blood vessel swelling and didn't see any, but that will have to be monitored as I age and if I have eye issues during a flare-up. She said my eyes are beyond dry and recommended hot compresses, and Systane eye drops frequently throughout the day to help with styes and dryness. So, I guess great news that nothing serious is going on, the flashers had me worried! I go back once a year now, and she said all patients with Crohn's should be seen minimum of a year to be monitored.

Nyx

My ophthalmologist also suggested warm compresses twice a day to deal with styes as well. Said I should be doing for the rest of my life as this is a chronic condition related to the Crohn's. I don't mind that though...I just tell myself that I'm having a spa session every day :)

I was using the Systane drops as well, but found that the GenTeal ones were gentler on my eyes. My regular eye doctor said some of the drops have more preservatives in them than others, and I was finding that the Systane drops eventually irritated my eyes. Haven't had a problem with the GenTeal ones yet.

Glad you got your questions answered! What can they do about your retina? Just wait it out and hope it doesn't detach?

Hi KellyMom,
Glad to hear that nothing more serious is going on with your eyes. I think what you are describing is called 'posterior vitreous detachment' and it often happens to both eyes. Symptoms started in my second eye several months after the first. I have gotten used to the flashing lights and shadow and no longer worry about it.

That's great news KellyMom. Glad that she answered your questions. I am seeing an opthamologist this Thursday and will share what I find out. My eyes are extremely blurry and unfocused, to the point that I had to increase the font size on my computer dramatically. I can't read the print in books @ all and my eyes are swollen and red. Hopefully I can find some answers too!

Hi all,
Cathy, I hope they can offer you some solutions. That must be scary and frustrating! Happy, you are the first person to describe my exact symptoms. Finally, a name to go with it, thank you! I guess I can't worry about it, too much else to worry about. She said it wasn't a big deal unless I start seeing multiple flashes which does indicate retinal detachment.

KellyMom,
Glad I could help. Yes, it is important to get your eyes checked again if the flashing lights suddenly get worse. They can usually repair the retinal detachment if it is found early enough. Good luck to you and me and all others who have this condition!