• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gag reflex when taking pills

I have bad gag reflex when taking pills. It has caused me to vomit before. I am certain there is not wrong physically, it is purely psychological. When I can distract myself it doesn't bother me as much.

Does anyone have any tips to avoid this problem?

nogutsnoglory

Opt for liquid or chewable if possible. Some pills can be mashed into apple sauce. Hide it in a piece of cheese? I did that to trick my dog lol.

They make a product called Pill Glide that you spray to coat your tongue and throat. Didn't help my friend but you can try it?

Use a straw. I got the tip from my kids pediatrician. Put the pill far back (not enough to gag you though) and drink through a straw until the pill is down. It doesn't take long at all. I gagged for years until I heard this trick. It really works.

Thank you, I will give the straw a try. I tried the accupressure suggestion but it didn't help. My gag reflex is really ingrained. It's so annoying.