• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gaining Weight w/ Crohn's

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice on how to gain weight. I'm an 18 year old guy and currently weigh about 118lbs and am 5' 9". I recently had 3 C-diff infections since November and went down to about 112lbs, so I've gained some weight, but still have a ways to go. I've been drinking Ensure Plus and started working out to build muscle. I also asked the doctor about whey protein and she said it's safe to take as long as I don't overdo it. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how I can gain weight? I start college in the fall and would like to gain 15 - 20 lbs by the end of the summer. Thank you in advance for any advice!

high calorie foods. if you can do dairy do it :) peanut butter also has a lot of calories...also sometimes juicing can help

Lots of milk or ice cream if you can tolerate dairy. Anything high in fat and protein is also good, peanut butter, red meat, bacon, eggs etc.

I would suggest getting a whey protein powder to mix with milk. And ditch the ensure.

theOcean

Agreed on ditching the Ensure. It always made me feel way worse and gave me pain.

And like everyone else is saying: focus on high-calorie food. My GP says high-calorie means more than high-quantity, since otherwise your metabolism just adapts.

I'd recommend whey isolate, it's much purer and gentler in the intestines - just watch out for the ones that fill it up with cheap carbs

The least disruptive/difficult way to get more calories in is to modify what you already eat to just be more calorie dense. So, for example, if you're eating rice or pasta, use olive oil or butter (in addition to the sauce if you're using one); if you're eating toast or a sandwich, add in mayo or butter and tuck in some cheese if it's a savory one. Avocados are usually easy to digest and they provide lots of healthy kcals - and they're delicious on toast with salt and tomatoes (if you can handle tomatoes); breakfast cereals like cream of wheat are good places to use whole milk and add more butter plus some people mix an egg into their hot cereals as well a toppings like honey, cream, chocolate, etc. Eggs in general could be good. In general, make sure that you're always using the "whole" form of the food ie full fat milk, full fat cheeses, full fat yogurt, etc. Something else you might try is drinking a milkshake with meals or between meals if that's better for you. I don't have the link right now but I once found a super high cal milkshake recipe, I think it was on a site for kids with cystic fibrosis if you want to look for it.

find a mass gainer mix it with ice cream and ensure plus and yogurt, drink everyday

eat sweet potatoes and potatoes, eat bags of lays chips, what ever you can eat eat loads of it

bannanas wat like two a day, two greek yogurt a day

After 5 day in hospital for obstruction I gained 30 pounds in two months

you will get fat or whatever you want

exercise, find a bulking workout on bodybuilding.com

do it, you will get results over time

can be done easily on low residue diets

I did it

Try to eat 5-7 smaller meals throughout the day, as opposed to 3 large ones. It will be digested easier, and you may end up absorbing more calories.