• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gaining weight with a colostomy bag

I have ulcerative colitis and had to have surgery bout two years ago. I now where a colostomy bag everyday! They wanted me to have another 70grand surgery to get put back together but told me all my old symtoms will come right back and all the pain and having ulcerative colitis has ruined my life and I was in chronic pain for 6years because of it so that's why I'd rather keep the colostomy bag. I absolutely do not want to be in pain for the rest of my life but every since surgery I have been gaining weight like crazy! In the past 11 months I have gained 65 pounds and now I am the fattest I have ever been! I hate it! It's uncomfortable and depressing and I'm still gaining weight. I am a very light eater and have no idea why I am gaining all this weight! It is so frustrating! I don't know what to do? My doctor has tried to help but the meds he put me on did nothing!

is anyone else having this weight gain problem? What do I do? I'm miserable and this was only supposed to be a temporary colostomy bag but I want to make it permanent does that mean I need to go back to the doctor? it's been almost two years since my surgery and if I get it reversed they told me all my problems would come back so I want it to be permanent ...I have not talked to my doctor who did the surgery for at least a year

Hi Emmaline - I think I replied to your other thread in the diets forum, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. As I said on the other thread, I don't have experience with the weight problem. However, I have a permanent ileostomy and I love it and can completely understand why you would want to keep your stoma. Do you not have regular appointments with your consultant? That would be the norm here. Which country are you in? I am sure you can discuss this with your doctor or surgeon and put forward your reasons for wanting to keep the stoma. Can you ring your surgeon's secretary or ask your GP to contact him/her to make you an appointment? If the stoma is not causing you any problems or posing a risk to your health in any way, it certainly sounds reasonable to keep it.