• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gaining weight??

Has anyone gained weight because inflammation has caused bowels to become sluggish/backed up?
My recent MRi showed worsening inflammation from the one I had in the hospital in October. Since October, I've had much SLOWER transit time.. as in I only go once a day sometimes (my normal for 17 years has been D, 4-10/a day). Ive gained 15 lbs since the October hospitalization, which is probably good but I'm just curious as this seems counter intuitive. Obviously I'm NOT in remission, inflammation is worse and I'm assuming that combined with my stricture is what is slowing things down.
Dr. added Aza to the mix (Cimzia every 3 weeks isn't working so well anymore).
Anyways,
Am I going crazy? Or can you gain weight because of slower bowels/inflammation?

I'm very new to this but I have always been very thin. Before kids I was 5'8" and about 115#. I didn't put on a lot after having kids either. In the last year, since my most recent episode started my weight jumped to 185 and I struggle to lose any. Sometimes I go a lot and sometimes once a week (and that day is so painful). I have read posts about other people who are heavy too. Not sure if transit time is a factor but some people do seem to put on weight.