• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gaining your energy back after surgery?

Hi Everybody!

I have a question for all of you who had surgery.. this is my first surgery and I feel that my energy is very low to the point that if I walk a few steps I feel that I am out of breath and sometimes I am about to pass out .. I had it done on Oct 30th which is almost 3 weeks ago now.. and i were wondering

How long did it take you to gain your energy back after having your surgery?

Thank you!

Hi ForeverCrohns, I'm not sure you should be nearly passing out!! Tired yes. I think you should be asking your GP about that & if necessary ask for blood tests. My bloods this year have been very low, in fact my white cells are still below average 6mths after surgery. But I've never felt like passing out.
You take care of yourself
Grant

Hi ForeverCrohns,

I felt like this for a few months after my surgery. It was my first surgery and I didn't know how I was supposed to feel. I couldn't walk for long and got faint all the time. I got my bloods checked and I was quite anaemic, and my inflammation markers were sky high so they did a CT scan and found a small abscess. After an iron infusion and 2 weeks of antibiotics for the abscess I felt great and could walk without getting faint :) I then gained full strength very quickly. I hope there's nothing wrong with you and you just need a bit more time to get over the op, but I advise you to ask for your bloods to be checked asap just in case, rather than letting it go on and on like I did!
All the best and hope you feel better soon.

Hello Grant and Elrafantas thank you so much for your replies

I spoke with my GI and he did blood tests .. I am anemic but it has improved since the surgery so I don't think it's anemia .. However my platelet count is a little elevated don't know why ..
My doctor has asked for stool test to determine if I have any infection .. He thinks I am dehydrated even though I don't feel dehydrated I am keeping myself hydrated all the time.

I got itchy joint bumps that appear and disappear within few minutes or seconds .. And I always get them when I flare

That's why I am asking I don't know wether I am supposed to feel this way I am so confused.

Can I be flaring so soon I can't even know because my diarrhea this time is from surgery

Hiya. Do you know what your white blood count, ESR and CRP scores were on your blood tests? I don't think a slightly elevated platelet count would make you feel like you do. Although I suppose if any scores were very high your doctor would have said something! Hopefully the stool test will shed more light. Although obviously hopefully you haven't got an infection! I hope you feel loads better soon x