• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gallbladder/HIDA scan info please :)

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Ok, I know if I'm sick of hearing about myself talk about this, you most likely are, too ;)

At my appointment yesterday, GI decided it is probably my gallbladder causing the most recent issue. I know a few people have had gallbladder problems and/or have had them removed. I have a HIDA scan on 11/12, and I just want to know as much as I can going into it because I refuse to be an ostrich and I hate being kept in the dark.

Here are my questions (off the top of my head):

1. What are issues you've had w/your gallbladder?
2. Is it serious?
3. Did you have it taken out? If yes, did it hurt? (After)
4. If you have it taken out, do you need to take anything in place of it being there, like meds or supplements or anything? I know it stores bile, so if it's gone, where does it get stored instead?

It can be w/you, someone you know, any info you know...

Thanks, my friends! :)

farm

Captain Insaneo
Ok here goes (I have no idea but I'm working for you)

HIDA scan is an imaging procedure that helps your doctor track the production and flow of bile from your liver to your small intestine. Bile is a fluid produced by your liver that helps your digestive system break down fats in the foods you eat.

A HIDA scan, which stands for hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid scan, creates pictures of your liver, gallbladder, biliary tract and small intestine. A HIDA scan can also be called cholescintigraphy, hepatobiliary scintigraphy or hepatobiliary scan.

A HIDA scan is a type of imaging study called a nuclear medicine scan. This means the HIDA scan uses a radioactive chemical or tracer that helps highlight certain organs on the scan.
Gallbladder surgery – also known as cholecystectomy – is used to treat gallstones, cancer and other disorders that affect the gallbladder. The gallbladder is the organ that stores excess bile not immediately needed for digestion. About 500,000 Americans have gallbladder surgery every year in the United States, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK).

This surgery can be performed as either laparoscopy or traditional open surgery. During laparoscopy, several small incisions are made in the abdomen and a thin, tube-like instrument called a laparoscope is inserted into the body. A camera and light attached to the laparoscope provide images of the gallbladder that are transmitted to a monitor, allowing the surgeon to view the abdominal cavity while removing the gallbladder. This technique is used in the vast majority of gallbladder surgeries because it is less invasive and reduces scarring and the potential for post-surgical pain and complications.

Gallbladder surgery typically takes place in a hospital. Prior to the procedure, patients should follow any preparatory recommendations made by their physician. These may include changes to dietary and medication regimens. Patients will also be placed under general anesthesia before surgery, which means they are unconscious and do not experience pain during the procedure.
Recovery from gallbladder surgery varies depending on which procedure was performed. Patients who undergo laparoscopy usually spend a single night in the hospital. Open surgery typically requires a hospital stay of between two days and one week. In both cases, patients may be asked to restrict their activities for a certain time period.

farm

Captain Insaneo
Real life ~ my brother had his gall bladder taken out with an open surgery and was home in 2 days and had very little pain afterwards.
A week later his adom. pain ceased all together.
He had to change up his diet a bit; mostly warned against red meats and salt and the likes.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hi Ris,

Here is my gallbladder story. I never had any problems with mine, that I new of. When I was really sick last year, I was vomiting uncontrollably until I would just vomit large amounts of bile. I was hospitalized and had a CT scan done. I had a few gall stones. No big deal compared to what was going on with my small bowel.To make a long story short I eventually needed a resection. Well, I was so paranoid about the gall stones and all the bile vomiting I asked my surgeon to take out my gall bladder just in case it was part of the problem. I regret having it removed.....

Without your gallbladder the bile is not stored and just drips into the gut. This can lead to bile salts diarrhea. Which is what I have now...IDK, I might still be having D even if I still had my gallbladder. I take Questran now. It's an older cholesterol med that binds bile salts. I hate taking this med because you have to mix it and drink it. When I take it, it works great.

My gallbladder was removed laproscopicaly. Since I had a resection done at the same time I can't really tell you how painful it was. I have the resection incision which runs from my naval to right above the pubic area. The laproscopic incisions look like 3 little 1 inch slices on the right side just under my ribs... I tell my kids I was in a knife fight, because they look like stab wounds. Anyway I hope this helps.

Santos61198 said:
Ok, I know if I'm sick of hearing about myself talk about this, you most likely are, too ;)

At my appointment yesterday, GI decided it is probably my gallbladder causing the most recent issue. I know a few people have had gallbladder problems and/or have had them removed. I have a HIDA scan on 11/12, and I just want to know as much as I can going into it because I refuse to be an ostrich and I hate being kept in the dark.

Here are my questions (off the top of my head):

1. What are issues you've had w/your gallbladder?
2. Is it serious?
3. Did you have it taken out? If yes, did it hurt? (After)
4. If you have it taken out, do you need to take anything in place of it being there, like meds or supplements or anything? I know it stores bile, so if it's gone, where does it get stored instead?

It can be w/you, someone you know, any info you know...

Thanks, my friends! :)
1. Anytime I ate anything with the least bit of fat in it I'd have super bad nauseau and pain on my right side.
2. It is if you let it go too long since it can develop into pancreatitis and believe me you don't want that! My sister had that and was in the hospital for 6 months fed only by feeding tubes.
3. I was able to eat normally a day after the surgery, though I was still nauseous but no more pain where I had the pain. I'm different though since I think I have something else wrong with me (i'm going through testing now) and most people are absolutely fine after the surgery with no nauseau or pain. I think instead of getting stored it goes directly to wherever the next step is.

Good luck!