• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gallbladder

So to all those who read my insane 4 month story of getting to an answer to being in severe pain in my abdomen that isn't Crohns.

I was going to a different doctor 4 months ago and she did an ultra sound and said she didn't think it was my gallbladder even though I did have a lot of gallstones.

Every doctor since her has said that they think it's my gallbladder.

I spent Friday in the hospital being treated for dehydration. :(

I've had every test imaginable and today my local gastro decided that he wanted to repeat my ultrasound. The test was SO painful (as I'm sure anyone who has had gallbladder understands.) The tech was like, "how has this been going on for 4 months!"

So I go home after the test and get a call from the doctor that I have to immediately come to his office and have a repeat ultrasound (with a doctor present.) Obviously they don't want to do any unnecessary surgeries on a crohn's patient! But the doctor in the Ultrasound said it was clearly diseased and blocking bowel.

So this will be my second surgery this year, which my doctor said might make the recovery a lot harder because it's my abdomen. I'm really scared!

Seeing the surgeon on Thursday. I hope they get this out before it becomes another trip to the ER!

What is happening to health care in this country?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Ali. Sorry you're going through this crap. I had two surgeries this year. It isn't the first time that has happened. I hope things improve for you soon.

Ugh, so sorry to hear what you're dealing with! If it's any consolation the past 4 months have been rough for me too, so I can completely commiserate. My brother (not an MD, but DMD) thinks I should have my gall bladder looked at because of my symptoms. I think I'll mention an ultrasound to my GI and see what she thinks. I'm so glad your doctor listened to you and went as far as to repeat the ultrasound. What a compassionate and smart GI! I pray that you don't have to return to the ER and have a smooth, easy surgery ASAP. Hang in there!

Hi Ali. Sorry you're going through this crap. I had two surgeries this year. It isn't the first time that has happened. I hope things improve for you soon.
How are you feeling after having the second surgery? Thanks so much for the support!

Ugh, so sorry to hear what you're dealing with! If it's any consolation the past 4 months have been rough for me too, so I can completely commiserate. My brother (not an MD, but DMD) thinks I should have my gall bladder looked at because of my symptoms. I think I'll mention an ultrasound to my GI and see what she thinks. I'm so glad your doctor listened to you and went as far as to repeat the ultrasound. What a compassionate and smart GI! I pray that you don't have to return to the ER and have a smooth, easy surgery ASAP. Hang in there!

I'm so sorry to hear that because I completely understand. :(

I do have a really great GI. It's switching my Crohn's doctor that's been the problem. :shifty-t: My GI wants me to stay with my new doctor though despite their secretarial staff being really not nice. He's just a great doctor. That's crazy that you're showing symptoms and they haven't done an ultrasound yet! I hope you get the help you need! Let me know if you need anything!! Thanks for the support!!

DJW

Forum Monitor
It took care of the weekly obstructions and ER visits I was having. Happy about that. Still working to get this long flare under control.

It took care of the weekly obstructions and ER visits I was having. Happy about that. Still working to get this long flare under control.
Well, I'm glad it was at the very least helpful. Nothing gets my Crohn's under control ever since it flared up majorly for the second time. The first flare I had, it was the most intense pain I had ever felt in my life. Even though medications were prescribed and tried over several months (some symptoms were helped) I still needed surgery to have a resection. :(

Fortunately, after that I had 2 years of remission. (missing those now!)

Flared up again last July. Tried new meds, but had to have a second resection in January. Wondering if the flare up could have been my gallbladder..(since that was never checked!) I haven't felt good since last July. And I'm on Humira Weekly. It's so tough.

I will most definitely keep you in my prayers for remission soon because everyone deserves it!! :)

I'm praying for both of you! I agree with you, Taylorali, everyone deserves remission. Here's hoping all our flares are gone STAT. xo

Hi Taylorali,

I actually had my gallbladder out in 2012 before I was dx with Crohns.I always wondered if it really was my gallbladder or if it was the crohns the whole time. I guess i will never know!

Goodluck to you!