• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

GAPS Diet

Hi

Sorry I know there is a probably a thread on this already. I've started the GAPS diet thinking I was doing a very good thing for myself. But now I am worried after reading countless articles saying the whole thing is 'quackery', and a money making racket.

I really hope that is not the case. I have bought yogurt maker, kefir grains and spent the week being obsessed about making broth and whether I was doing it right!

I have read that the introduction diet in particular is very limiting and low in carbs. I have lost about 4 Ibs since I started only the last few days. So dispirited now. Is it all a waste of time? I actually thought I found something that might work.

You might have already read this but is not, the GAPS diet is said to be an updated version of the SCD diet. The SCD is the most popular diet tried for those with IBD conditions.

The SCD works for some. For others it does not. We're all different with how we react with diet.

Weight loss is typical with the SCD I believe. Sometimes I've heard the weight loss can be large and come quick. If that is a concern you should look at other dietary ideas.

If it might be of assistance, another web sight I enjoy for dietary ideas when it comes to IBD conditions can be viewed here:

http://www.perskyfarms.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2

It is a sight that is largely about following a diet to address colitis. Other IBD conditions are talked about from time to time too.

Good luck.

The SCD worked for my daughter, but it did not work for my son. I mean, she has been medicine and symptom free for 10+ years now, and no longer has to follow the diet! while my son has some symptoms and is on Remicade. The diet is actually based on the same principal as EEN. My son's docs respected the science behind it. :)

Daughter was very ill, they diagnosed her with Crohn's and put her on steroids to achieve remission, she got the moon face and all of that and tried a maintenance medicine, but it messed with her liver right away. We were both devastated and then someone online told me about the SCD and amazingly it kept her in remission. She lives a completely normal life.

Thanks for replies. So GAPS and SCD are essentially the same thing? Except that GAPS has a different intro stage. I feel better today because my nutritionalist said I was not loosing weight but inflammation and food so that is good! She said it is not possible to loose 5Ibs of fat/muscle in 4 days. I was worried this thing was going to leave me like a stick insect! But I get it is all about keeping a food diary no matter what died you follow but it is nice to have starting point.

I forget the differences between the two diets. The creator of the GAPS diet mentions in her writings that she updated the SCD diet to make it more helpful for her children and patients.

I've had a few people on the sight in the past become upset with me due to the weight loss seen with the grain free diets, such as GAPS, SCD, Paleo, etc. Some people have lost a good deal of weight quickly on the diets. It's something to keep in mind.

I personally follow a grain free diet, (To be honest I'll eat rice from time to time without issue.). I lost some weight from it originally. The weight came back over time though. Exercise helped me regain weight originally. I think that over time the weight will return if the digestive tract heals.

Not to get to much into it, but I modified my diet greatly early this year. As a result of late my stomach has improved further, and more importantly for me my energy levels are greatly improved. I've noticed also that I've gained around 10lbs at some point.

The SCD worked for my daughter, but it did not work for my son. I mean, she has been medicine and symptom free for 10+ years now, and no longer has to follow the diet! while my son has some symptoms and is on Remicade. The diet is actually based on the same principal as EEN. My son's docs respected the science behind it. :)
It's a good news for your daughter keeping healthy and going on without no medicines ! Sounds great!