• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Garden of Life "Primal Defense"

Around 2008 when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's I started taking a probiotic called Primal defense (in addition to 6mp, 5ASA, etc.). I really noticed a difference when I took the probiotic consistently and honestly felt it was doing more for me than the medications being prescribed by my GI.

Fast forward a few years and the new "Ultra" line of Primal Defense was introduced, making the original impossible to find in stores (at least in my location). However I did not notice the same improvements while taking the "ultra" line, so much so that I stopped buying it completely, and started taking Align. The Align seems to help but I would estimate the original PD was about twice as effective at managing my symptoms.

My question being, has anyone else experienced this, and has the formula changed significantly over the years? Or perhaps my crohn's has just gotten worse. FYI I am on the severe end of the spectrum with ulceration of the small intestine, stenosis of the large intestine, and perianal fistulas. My large intestine is mostly inflamed in the bottom 12 inches or so, with the rest being relatively OK.

Also any suggestions for probiotics would be helpful (I am aware of VSL3 but am a little wary of a high pricetag for potential snake oil)

Thanks for reading,
Andrew

nogutsnoglory

I have read that most of the HSO's the homeostatic soil organisms that were in the product were removed. It could be for safety reasons but also maybe why the new line isn't as affective.

I take Healthy Trinity by Natren but haven't noticed a change yet.

kiny

I am aware of VSL3 but am a little wary of a high pricetag for potential snake oil
My issue with something like VSL3, regardless of any merits, is that they fund a lot of research, there is a lot of conflict of interest because of the company behind VSL3.

I never personally noticed much improvement with the original formula, but the Ultra helped me so long as I took 2 at a time, maybe 2-3 times daily. The original formula gave me a slight ache in my stomach that would resolve quickly without ramification.

I personally like Jarrow EPS (8 strains: see top right here http://www.jarrow.com/product/228/Jarro-Dophilus_EPS ) (3/4 caps spread throughout day on empty stomach) and a smaller company's liquid probiotic Living Streaming Probiotic (l. paracasei, l. curvatus) (start out as directed and work up to 7 drops a day, with food or without). When I eat a large meal, lately I've been taking a Kyodophilus 9 capsule (l. gasseri) with good results--quizzically this seemed to bother me the first few times I tried it, but since using it on full stomach and/or with prebiotic fibers, it seems to work well.

Personally, store bought kefir does not do the trick, and I haven't tried just using homemade kefir, sans pill probio adjuncts, to test whether that alone would suffice. Most foods used as therapy probably need to be continually introduced throughout the day, like at least 3 times daily to get supposed effects--my opinion. However, taking water kefir daily may have caused upset for me.

Next on my probio list would be to try a Bacillus Coagulans product--this stuff has received good press lately. I think Andrew Weil and Dr Oz were promoting one of these products in the past year.

Get into water kefir. Way cheaper, and more potent than any of the stuff out there.
Could you please expand on this? I'm never heard of 'water' kefir.

Also, has anyone tried the RAW probiotic line from garden of life.

Last edited: