• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gas and Mucus

Right now I'm struggling with a lot of gas and mucus. My stomach just feels really gurgling all the time, but I can't just let it out. I have to be in certain positions to be able to pass gas, and then a lot of times I have to go to the toilet to do it because mucus will come out as well. A good number of my bathroom trips are just gas and mucus, no actual stool. I use Tums sometimes, and also Hyosciamine for cramping. I don't think I am eating anything that would make me particularly gassy, I do keep up with a fairly mild diet. It seems like it happens no matter what I eat. Any advice?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
How long has this been happening? It sounds like you're in a really bad flare right now (last time I had these symptoms I was). Have you mentioned this to your advice nurse or doctor? If not, it maybe a good idea...

I feel A LOT like this and my proctologist prescribed me rectal mesalazine (she said it was due proctitis). I have been using it and its getting better.
As mentioned, you should see your doctor 😟

crohnsinct

Yeah, I would contact your GI. This was happening to my daughter for awhile. Her GI blew it off as ibs or stress but we know she had proctosigmoiditis at dx and also at her last scope two years ago. Finally things got so bad that we asked him to run a fecal cal test and sure enough her level was 1123. Scopes later confirmed lots of disease activity in her rectum and disease in her terminal ileum.

All this to say call. It could be an indication of things not going well.